• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The History Of DC

70 posts in this topic

It could be as easily argued that the original publishers of Action Comics and Detective Comics weren't DC until All American was there. Again, it took the two halves to make the magic whole. Therefore the products of both companies are what made DC, whether they were together or apart in any given month. The important factor isn't how they began, or if they had a squabble, it's that these two entities have been, for the bulk of their existence, one company.

....That's true Joanna,...Action and Detective comics operated under the name of Detective comics until the merge with All-American which produced DC,...but it was still a merger of two different companies despite the common link of Donefield within them both,......if the bonding of these two companies took place in 1960 instead of 1940 there would be more of a distinction between the two, but because it happened relatively early in comic book history most people tend to ignore or don't even realize that heroes like The Flash and Green Lantern started out under a different moniker...this is especially true for collectors and readers of the silver age who saw the "Second Bonanza" of super-heroes come directly out of the DC line-up since they now were part of their property,.....so of course it is natural for them to assume that they were always DC charecters....however I do not consider them to be so because there simply was no DC when they when they were originally published,...they are now DC characters just as Captain Marvel, Blue Beetle and Phantom Lady are DC charecters....however I still feel that any All-American book published before 1940 should bear the title of All-American on the CGC case just as Captain Marvel comics from the 1940's and 50's say Fawcett or Blue Beetle and Phantom Lady books display the various publishers that they originally appeared in at that time,....I consider CGC's denotation of these books as DC's to be historically inaccurate...despite my admiration for CGC for all they have done to promote this hobby it is still my prerogative to disagree with them when it comes to their opinion of who the publisher of these books were..

...You know I just got back from lunch...I had a bean burrito and some original recipe chicken at my local Taco Bell/KFC,...they now contain both these franchises in one building since both restaurants are now owned by Pepsi,......If I just came to this country today I would assume that this convenience has always been this way,....not realizing that in order to enjoy this meal 20 years ago it would entail a trip to two entirely different restaurants, and my burrito would be cold by the time i procured my original recipe chicken....but thanks to miracle of modern corporate America I can eat both of these delicacies hot at the same time.....joy,.....however as I savor each bite I am reminded that even though my burrito and chicken are both owned and produced by Pepsico that they are original products born respectively from Taco Bell and Kentucky Fried Chicken.....and if the Colonel was alive today he would tell you the same....

...Direct quote from "Men of Tomorrow" page 223

.......In 1944 he (Gaines) decided he had enough. he let Jack Liebowitz buy him out with a loan from Harry (Donefield) , keeping only his Pictures from the Bible as the foundation of his new company, Educational Comics.

Liebowitz promptly orchestrated the merger of All American Comics and Detective Comics into National Comics, of which he was the junior partner vice president and publisher. Next he took charge of organizing National Comics, Independent News, and their affiliated firms into a single corporate entity, National Periodicals Publications. Liebowitz was the principle architect in making a legitimate distribution, publishing , and licensing contender out of all those hastily formed and quaintly named Donefield companies."

Liebowitz promptly orchestrated the merger of All American Comics and Detective Comics into National Comics, of which he was the junior partner vice president and publisher. Next he took charge of organizing National Comics, Independent News, and their affiliated firms into a single corporate entity, National Periodicals Publications. Liebowitz was the principle architect in making a legitimate distribution, publishing , and licensing contender out of all those hastily formed and quaintly named Donefield companies.

But I reiterate, yet again.

You simply CANNOT have a complete DC collection without all the early New Funs/New Comics/Detective Comics, and without ALL the All American titles.

They combined to form the DC that we all know and recognise.

Yes you can have a DC collection without National or Quality or Whiz comics, but you CANNOT call it complete without owning ALL the All American titles.

And to repeat again, to have a collection without Green Lantern or Wonder Woman or the Justice Society of America, would be a bad joke.

All-American IS AN ESSENTIAL PART OF DC.

> 1933

> Jan Jerry Siegel publishes :"The Reign of the Superman" in Science Fiction

> 3. Following which, he and Joe Shuster develop Superman into a comic strip.

Hi Ian,

Do you have a copy of this book? You mentioned later in the thread that all pre-Superman prototypes by various publishers are a must in any complete DC collection, but would this book fall into that category? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on its importance, scarcity, and anything else you might find worth mentioning about it? I did a search and was surprised to find that you never seem to have commented on it before(?).

That was really interesting! Thank you for posting that. It's fascinating to see how it all began -- almost haphazardly, and with lots of bumps along the way.

-- Joanna

How fabulous to hear from Joanna, someone who ACTUALLY cares more about comics than using these boards to slag off others just to ludicrously attempt to make themselves look clever.

You mean like how you slagg David Alexander? makepoint.gifscrewy.gif

How fabulous to hear from Joanna, someone who ACTUALLY cares more about comics than using these boards to slag off others just to ludicrously attempt to make themselves look clever.

You mean like how you slagg David Alexander? makepoint.gifscrewy.gif

You're commenting on a post I made on here two years ago.

> 1933 Jan Jerry Siegel publishes :"The Reign of the Superman" in Science Fiction 3. Following which, he and Joe Shuster develop Superman into a comic strip.

Hi Ian,

Do you have a copy of this book? You mentioned later in the thread that all pre-Superman prototypes by various publishers are a must in any complete DC collection,

I did ????????

On the one hand yes it's something I'd be interested in, but it's no more a MUST for a DC collection than having a complete run of Blackhawks, or having a pre-Batman copy of "The Bat" by Mary Whats-her-name.