• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worthless books from the 80's-90's

34 posts in this topic

My favorite teaser is when the heading for a misc. comic lot says the comics date from the 1940s, and the "1940s" comics turn out to be some Classics Illustrateds from the late 60s with a 1948 copyright date.

My favorite teaser is when the heading for a misc. comic lot says the comics date from the 1940s, and the "1940s" comics turn out to be some Classics Illustrateds from the late 60s with a 1948 copyright date.

27_laughing.gif

E$bay at it's best:

"Wow, >>>L@@K!!!<<<

Just uncovered a faboulous(sp?) find of ULTRA-RARE books from "THE GOLDEN AGE OF COMICS!

What are they worth? I DON'T KNOW! I don't know how to grade, but These were part of an Estate Sale. There are first apperances of all the MAJOR CHARACTERS from the GOLDEN AGE: Ghost Rider, Black Lighting, Blue Demon, Rom the Space Knight & Ssoooooo many more. BIN and the shipping is only $75.00 for these "PRICELESS" twelve books.

Read our feedback: We have over 2 happy customers to date (you thought I meant 200? NO! I meant "2", the rest were very, very pissed when they recieved our books, but that is a whole 'nother story!)

Ebay: The place to go when you're tired of looking at your money!

Just MHO. takeit.gif

There are no worthless comics.Never were,never wil be.

donate your unwanted boks to any childrens hospital or a workshop that helps immigrants to learn English.

Most will give you a tax receipt for the full original cost of the books. In the case of 90s books,that adds up real fast. Two or three long boxes will get you a $1000 deduction on your federal taxes.

Buy a used OS on halfprice.com. After you check the values of the books,donate the cheap ones and the OS and grab your deductions.

Remember-Evading taxes in illegal,avoiding them is an American traditon.

Most will give you a tax receipt for the full original cost of the books. In the case of 90s books,that adds up real fast. Two or three long boxes will get you a $1000 deduction on your federal taxes.

Buy a used OS on halfprice.com. After you check the values of the books,donate the cheap ones and the OS and grab your deductions.

What Shad said. Try sending them here:

Comics4Kids thumbsup2.gif

donate your unwanted boks to any childrens hospital or a workshop that helps immigrants to learn English.

That's just what I did. thumbsup2.gif

I donated a short box to the local Salvation Army Store and deducted the cover price. In my tax bracket, the net gain of a $500 donation is about $175. So basically, I got $175 for a shortbox box of otherwise worthless books. acclaim.gifacclaim.gif Try getting that on ebay or from your LCS. tongue.gif

BTW, I'm no tax expert, but I do know that any noncash donation over $500 (to a single organization on a single day) may require additional paperwork and/or itemization. So, if you have more than $500 worth, break it up into separate donations under $500 each.

I donated a short box to the local Salvation Army Store and deducted the cover price. In my tax bracket, the net gain of a $500 donation is about $175. So basically, I got $175 for a shortbox box of otherwise worthless books. acclaim.gifacclaim.gif Try getting that on ebay or from your LCS. tongue.gif

BTW, I'm no tax expert, but I do know that any noncash donation over $500 (to a single organization on a single day) may require additional paperwork and/or itemization. So, if you have more than $500 worth, break it up into separate donations under $500 each.

That's a great idea! Most of these books probably aren't worth much more than the original cover price anyway, but I need to double check. I know we're big on the OS Guide here, but would anyone say that comicspriceguide.com is a fairly good estimate? confused-smiley-013.gif

That's a great idea! Most of these books probably aren't worth much more than the original cover price anyway, but I need to double check. I know we're big on the OS Guide here, but would anyone say that comicspriceguide.com is a fairly good estimate? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's a good idea only if you have enough deductions to itemize and not take the standard deduction.

It's a good idea only if you have enough deductions to itemize and not take the standard deduction.

A few years ago I started using a program called DeductPro from H&R Block ($19.95). It keeps track of your deductions and provides the IRS allowable deduction amount for thousands of different items.

So, every month or two I make a trip to the local Salvation Army or City Mission with a bag or two of clothes, furniture, computer equipment, small appliances... whatever. If I have something -- almost anything -- in decent condition and I'm not using it anymore, it gets donated.

You would be surprised how quickly you can get past the standard deduction level.

Since I started using DeductPro, I've added at least $750 to my return every year.

What a great idea! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I don't remember ... what is the standard deduction? The cover price of these books only totals about $110. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As a student, you might have a tough time getting to the standard deduction level. confused.gif It's around $5,500 give or take....

However, as a homeowner with mortgage interest payments and various other expenses I can deduct, I can easily exceed the standard deduction level by itemizing.