• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers 57

22 posts in this topic

Howdy, expert graders! :hi:

I've got a tricky comic (for me, not for you) to grade because it really is generally pleasant but has a corner that is quite evil. :devil: I'd love to hear your thoughts. Pages are CR/OW, in my opinion. Gloss and colors are really nice, and it lays perfectly flat. What say you?

Avengers57A_zpsdfcfb255.jpg

Avengers57B_zps14a65f0d.jpg

Does the fold that caused the front and back corner creases got through the whole book? The back crease looks kinda loose. Meaning, if you held it bottom down, would the corner flap down a little? Not sure how much that would affect the grade, but if the paper is weak at that spot, it might.

Either way, it looks 6.5-7.0 to me.

Pushin' 6.5, unfortunately cant hide those corner creases, spine wear w/ ink breaks...could be worse, that a fold or a small stain on the back cover lower left edge? Those black covers with creases are just brutal eye sores. Still its a nice book to keep :)

Does the fold that caused the front and back corner creases got through the whole book? The back crease looks kinda loose. Meaning, if you held it bottom down, would the corner flap down a little? Not sure how much that would affect the grade, but if the paper is weak at that spot, it might.

That fold does not go through the whole book. I know what you are saying about that back crease -- I was worried about the same thing, but it isn't loose and the paper doesn't seem to be weak there. I was thinking 6.5, too.

Pushin' 6.5, unfortunately cant hide those corner creases, spine wear w/ ink breaks...could be worse, that a fold or a small stain on the back cover lower left edge? Those black covers with creases are just brutal eye sores. Still its a nice book to keep :)

Nope, no staining that I can see. The crease is just so tough -- it's the first thing your eye goes to. I know this is strictly a PGM forum, but do you think this book is worth slabbing?

Nope, no staining that I can see. The crease is just so tough -- it's the first thing your eye goes to. I know this is strictly a PGM forum, but do you think this book is worth slabbing?

If it is for your collection maybe you slab it. If you are selling it you should do fine listing it raw.

If it is for your collection maybe you slab it. If you are selling it you should do fine listing it raw.

That's what I'm having trouble deciding, whether to keep it or sell it. :)

I'd say the other way around. If it's staying with you, put it in a Mylite with Fullback and/or a Top Loader. If you're selling, it's a key, and buyers will want to know it isn't restored.

Either way, nice book (better than mine ;) )

Good :)

It's always hard to grade from scans when there are 32 (or 16) pages to account for, most times.

I have more pics, if these help: :)

DSC04251_zpsfb18fe9c.jpg

DSC04252_zpsa448307c.jpg

DSC04253_zpsf93a1119.jpg

DSC04254_zps058f33ca.jpg

DSC04255_zpsbb9daed2.jpg

DSC04256_zps5b136de5.jpg

DSC04257_zpscfe8e993.jpg

DSC04258_zpsf9d00864.jpg

DSC04259_zps3ec0e43d.jpg

DSC04260_zps60bff564.jpg

I'd say the other way around. If it's staying with you, put it in a Mylite with Fullback and/or a Top Loader. If you're selling, it's a key, and buyers will want to know it isn't restored.

Either way, nice book (better than mine ;) )

That makes the most sense to me, for sure. Thank ye!

Sure thing ;) Happy to offer an opinion.

Unfortunately, the top right front corner in the new pics you added is making me think 6.0- maybe 6.5

That looks to be the weak creasing I feared on the back. In other words, the strength of the fibers at the bends look compromised.

Still a little better than mine lol (thumbs u

Thanks, I agree. Paging joeypost!

I've had Joe work on a few of my books and it seems like it couldn't hurt, even though the biggest problem (CB) can't be cured.

That fold does not go through the whole book. I know what you are saying about that back crease -- I was worried about the same thing, but it isn't loose and the paper doesn't seem to be weak there. I was thinking 6.5, too.

I would say 6.5 too.

The grade is back, and after a wonderful press from the redoubtable Joey Post, CGC declares this book to be a ... (drum roll, please) ... 6.5 Cream/OW! :banana:

As usual, the PGM crew was right on the money. (thumbs u