• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downgrade after SS, 9.8 - 9.6

22 posts in this topic

This year I've sent 8 Universal 9.8s to DWC to be cracked, signed at conventions, and resubmitted. (3 diff. conventions)

7 of the 8 returned in Signature Series 9.8, and 1 returned as a 9.6.

The 9.6 was a Gen 13 Limited Series #1 signed by J Scott Campbell. It looked amazing before and after, I couldn't tell a difference myself.

I went to Capital City Comic Con last weekend and spoke with DWC in person and they shared a PRO TIP on this subject.

You can call CGC and give them your slab # and they can tell you the three grades it received (Although I might have read only 2 graders look at books now, something we should look in to). This would let you know whether you have a good Universal slab to use as a SS candidate.

If the book received a 9.9 and two 9.8s, or three 9.8s, then it is likely a strong candidate to receive 9.8 again.

If the book received two 9.8s and a 9.6 then you are gambling.

Just a suggestion.

Overall I was pretty impressed with 88% 9.8 return.

So I had what I assumed to be a very, very unlikely occurrence happen to me. My previously graded 9.8 which I cracked and submitted to Desert Wind at a convention came back with a glorious yellow label, and a 9.6. Now I knew that this was something that COULD happen, but seriously? So the grader sat there at his desk with the autographed comic in one hand, and my old 9.8 label in the other and said to himself "nope, that guy who graded this before me is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, this is clearly a 9.6"

Total bummer. :frustrated:

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

What’s the difference you yourself put into a 9.6 to distinguish it from a 9.8?

As long as it is above NM it’s all good to me and… Mostly, these are "micro grades" which distracts you from what is important, i.e. the book itself, and the signature in this case. :)