• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

Ps the stain is so light it does not appear on the pic

yeah that's 6.5 city....

CGC's top graders got it wrong by 2.5 full grades...on the most important book in existence....yeppers....

yeah that's 6.5 city....

CGC's top graders got it wrong by 2.5 full grades...on the most important book in existence....yeppers....

You're a lone wolf at 6.5. No way bubba. :makepoint:

Which reminds us... when will we learn about the provenance of the 'new' AC1? How could it stay hidden for so long?

I don't understand why it's so hard to understand that this copy wasn't announced from the hilltops prior to it being slabbed. It was obviously held by a collector who didn't care to show it off. There are plenty of those kinds of people reading this forum right now.

Remember, Action #1 was always a big book but it was over shadowed by Whiz #1, Marvel #1 and Detective #27 up until only 20 years ago. It's only relatively recent in our young hobby that it's the 'biggest book in the world'.

Wait a minute in 1984 Action #1 was the biggest thing going-hell in 1975 it was...are you sure about this?

yeah that's 6.5 city....

Nah, it's more likely this fella doesn't know how to grade. Personally, side by side with the last 9,0 Id have trouble not calling this a 9.2. I'm a little surprised they mentioned the bindery tears in the graders notes. I would have guessed those would be chalked up as a production flaw. This is a 75 year old, 64 page comic for Pete's sake!!

Which reminds us... when will we learn about the provenance of the 'new' AC1? How could it stay hidden for so long?

I don't understand why it's so hard to understand that this copy wasn't announced from the hilltops prior to it being slabbed. It was obviously held by a collector who didn't care to show it off. There are plenty of those kinds of people reading this forum right now.

Remember, Action #1 was always a big book but it was over shadowed by Whiz #1, Marvel #1 and Detective #27 up until only 20 years ago. It's only relatively recent in our young hobby that it's the 'biggest book in the world'.

You are right. I remember 30 years ago when I first started reading the guide Marvel Comics #1 was the most expensive book.

yeah that's 6.5 city....

Nah, it's more likely this fella doesn't know how to grade. Personally, side by side with the last 9,0 Id have trouble not calling this a 9.2. I'm a little surprised they mentioned the bindery tears in the graders notes. I would have guessed those would be chalked up as a production flaw. This is a 75 year old, 64 page comic for Pete's sake!!

A production flaw is a flaw. MC is a flaw even though a dull blade, during production, created it.

It's a very nice 9.0. (thumbs u

Wait a minute in 1984 Action #1 was the biggest thing going-hell in 1975 it was...are you sure about this?

Marvel Comics 1 was the most valuable comic(according to Overstreet) for years. Action took the top spot in the mid eighties, only to lose it again(to Tec 27 in the wake of the 1989 Batman movie). So it wasn't always #1.

Yup

I'd call it a 'strong 9.0' and a 9.2 wouldn't raise eyebrows at all.....

White pages, spotless FC and only real flaws a small B/C stain that doesn't appear on pics and a couple 1/4" B/C tear....production tears don't count on GA books....

6.5? According to this grade scale, no books exist above 8.5.....period.

Marvel Comics 1 was the most valuable comic(according to Overstreet) for years. Action took the top spot in the mid eighties, only to lose it again(to Tec 27 in the wake of the 1989 Batman movie). So it wasn't always #1.

I'm not so sure, if all 3 books were presented to me, if I wouldn't snatch the Marvel 1 and scram!

I'm am quite sure that back in the late 1960's and early 1970's Thunda #1, Whiz #1, Marvel #1 and some other big keys were all neck in neck. In the 1980's Marvel #1 was the biggest book and then (in agreement with Larry) Detective #27 took over for a spell while the world was in full Batmania in 1989 before Action #1 tied for the lead and then finally took over, but yes that is only in the past (roughly) 2 decades.

I'm not so sure, if all 3 books were presented to me, if I wouldn't snatch the Marvel 1 and scram!

Me too.

People are now looking through sheer investment and $'s and 2c but the reality is that Marvel #1 was a favorite book for a long time. It's only in recent years that the investment crowd has pushed up values based on franchise value that Action #1 and Detective #27 have really pulled ahead.

Based on what I've gathered, Marvel #1 was always hot, popular and rare even when compared to Action #1 back in the day.

So the first superhero comic was less valued than say Batman?

In 1989, acc to the OSPS, yes.

Just google some old newspaper write ups, etc. Batmania was absolutely off the handle, insane in 1989. It literally took over the entire hobby and then some. Anybody who was even remotely aware of comics in 1989 couldn't help but notice it. Batman literally ruled the comic world for a year or two.