• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stuff worth grading from 2000-2013, even if they don't grade CGC 9.8 or better?

36 posts in this topic

Maybe some of the stuff that gets hyped for television or movies? A lot of that is just pure timing.

Scalped #1 maybe? I was looking for this book in CGC 9.8 before it was announced that it may end up on television and I only got the smallest of nibbles - one guy asking for what was a high price at the time (going by GPA), and that was it.

A few months after the 'maybe' television show and people are asking over $300 for it.

No Scalped. Just the trades. Missed that boat.

Maybe some of the stuff that gets hyped for television or movies? A lot of that is just pure timing.

Scalped #1 maybe? I was looking for this book in CGC 9.8 before it was announced that it may end up on television and I only got the smallest of nibbles - one guy asking for what was a high price at the time (going by GPA), and that was it.

A few months after the 'maybe' television show and people are asking over $300 for it.

I thought this was about "Stuff worth grading from 2000-2013, even if they don't grade CGC 9.8 or better?" Not if you missed it or not. There are plenty of things out there to buy and flip man. Books that are all hype buy and sell the same day you get them in hand. So far I would agree with some of the recommendations given to you. ToT, Saga RRP, EoW RRP, Chew, WD has a few books that are slab worthy. If I were you I would read the "Heating up on ebay" threads from modern back.

Peter Panzerfaust 1&2

Unfortunately I don't own those.

Are we supposed to guess the books you own?

yes

When I started collecting again I started with Marvel, than Batman and Superman. Then by 2003ish I was collecting almost anything mainstream Marvel/DC with a bunch of Independent stuff. Mostly Image. :tonofbricks:

I thought this was about "Stuff worth grading from 2000-2013, even if they don't grade CGC 9.8 or better?" Not if you missed it or not. There are plenty of things out there to buy and flip man. Books that are all hype buy and sell the same day you get them in hand. So far I would agree with some of the recommendations given to you. ToT, Saga RRP, EoW RRP, Chew, WD has a few books that are slab worthy. If I were you I would read the "Heating up on ebay" threads from modern back.

Honestly, sort of ignored the 'not a 9.8+' - very few exceptions to that rule and most of them are well known.

Outside of other circumstances (sentimental reasons, some 'personal' reason) there are very few moderns I would ever want < 9.8.

Can you just list the comics you have? That way we can tell you if they are worth grading rather than you just saying whether you have it or not. Another option is the pre-screening service at CGC. However, this requires at least 50 comics. The 5 dollar rejection fee is well worth it if you don't want lower than a specific grade.

Can you just list the comics you have? That way we can tell you if they are worth grading rather than you just saying whether you have it or not. Another option is the pre-screening service at CGC. However, this requires at least 50 comics. The 5 dollar rejection fee is well worth it if you don't want lower than a specific grade.

Truth is I haven't made a list yet because I haven't sorted through all of the14years of comics I accumulated yet. Try to spend a few hours every weekend or so, but life gets in the way. As I said in another post I have long complete runs of just about every mainstream Marvel since 2000. Batman and Superman from about 2001-2 and a lot of Independent (mostly Image) from 2004. Probably months away going at my current pace of having everything sorted and then going back and cataloging. Just looking for ideas on what would be worth the time and expense to CGC. I am going to do some searching through the modern threads and see if someone made a list and go through the sales threads and see what stuff is selling for. Maybe the OSPG coming out soon will be a help.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Modern-Age-1992Now-/900/i.html?_udlo=60&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=cgc%209.4%20-SS%20-signed%20-variant%20-edition%20-limited%20-signature%20-lot%20-set%20-run%20-pgx&_udhi=100

play with the filter settings to match your criteria:

9.4 cgc -pgx "keeps you where you want"

>$60 "on a 9.4 should keep you safe on fees"

<$100 "on a 9.4 should exclude rare obvious stuff"

Modern Age "filter will keep you generally where you want, while the <$100 pushes it more towards 2000+"

-SS -signed -signature "remove yellows"

-variant -edition -limited "removes variants etc, more could be added there to clean even more"

-lot -set -run "removes groups"

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Modern-Age-1992Now-/900/i.html?_udlo=60&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=cgc%209.4%20-SS%20-signed%20-variant%20-edition%20-limited%20-signature%20-lot%20-set%20-run%20-pgx&_udhi=100

play with the filter settings to match your criteria:

9.4 cgc -pgx "keeps you where you want"

>$60 "on a 9.4 should keep you safe on fees"

<$100 "on a 9.4 should exclude rare obvious stuff"

Modern Age "filter will keep you generally where you want, while the <$100 pushes it more towards 2000+"

-SS -signed -signature "remove yellows"

-variant -edition -limited "removes variants etc, more could be added there to clean even more"

-lot -set -run "removes groups"

Thank you so much! Trying to figure out how to search for items is not my area of expertise. This will be a great help.