• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do villain 1st appearances matter....

67 posts in this topic

And for the record I MUCH prefer villains. I once saw a quote attributed to Kirby that it's the villains that make the heroes. Maybe someone said it before him not sure but for me this is true. My original art collection is mostly villains. The majority of super heroes I do have are pure antiheroes or not far from it. I do hope to add a Cap piece some time soon. They don't get much more boy scout than him. Chances are if I have a piece of OA with Spider-Man it also had a villain...in fact I have almost no desire for a stand alone Spider-Man piece. The only exception would be the one where he is coming out of the grave ala Kraven's Last Hunt one of my favorite super hero story lines.

Kirby did not say that. And Cap has nothing "boy scoutish" about him.

What did you read?

Besides this, what is important is the human element, and you will find them in each and every character in good stories from good writers.

The issue is not which comic villain is the most popular, but whether or not their first appearances in comics have collect-ability. I don't think anyone here will argue the Joker and Lex Luthor as #1 and #2 respectively. The point is not that Magneto wasn't initially very popular compared to some other Marvel characters, but whether or not he is an important character today, which he clearly is. He definitely helps to define who the X-Men are (both SA and BA). Thus, if you are an X-Men fan, you want the first appearance of Magneto.

This is why villain first appearances matter. They help to define the hero. What Spider-Man fan out there doesn't want to own the first appearances of Dr. Octopus and the Green Goblin?

Makes me wonder, is the OP a real fan of these heroes or a comic book speculator?

Man of Steel 17 is the cameo of Doomsday and it's more expensive than Man of Steel 18 1st Full appearance of Doomsday. Why is that? Are there more 18's out there?

Is that the one with the fist hitting the brick wall in 3 panels..."Doomsday is coming"...?

Yes. I'm trying to understand why some cameos are worth more than 1st full appearances and sometimes the other way around.

Congratulations, you've stumbled upon the great inconsistency of the hivemind. :applause:

I know. I should just stop trying to make sense out of all of it.

The issue is not which comic villain is the most popular, but whether or not their first appearances in comics have collect-ability. I don't think anyone here will argue the Joker and Lex Luthor as #1 and #2 respectively. The point is not that Magneto wasn't initially very popular compared to some other Marvel characters, but whether or not he is an important character today, which he clearly is. He definitely helps to define who the X-Men are (both SA and BA). Thus, if you are an X-Men fan, you want the first appearance of Magneto.

This is why villain first appearances matter. They help to define the hero. What Spider-Man fan out there doesn't want to own the first appearances of Dr. Octopus and the Green Goblin?

Makes me wonder, is the OP a real fan of these heroes or a comic book speculator?

That is a good question. Most great stories need a solid protagonist and antagonist. Most comic book readers are very aware of that.

That is a good question. Most great stories need a solid protagonist and antagonist. Most comic book readers are very aware of that.

Definitely. However, in general the protagonist stays and the antagonist is more of a disposable character.

Of course some antagonists are a little more long-lived (eg. Joker), and they have more value than all the antagonists that are only make few appearances.

Of course heroes also sometimes are disposed of... but I think we agree that the hero is the red thread... and is also the one that the show is sold on... just look at the title of the books.. very few are named after the antagonist.

There is a huge difference in value... and of course so.