• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Silver age Batman comics valuable?

21 posts in this topic

I see a lot of the comics on Ebay with the text 1st Silver age appearance of scarecrow for example. Are these comics of importance in terms of the value of the comic or is it really the Golden age appearance which only matters.

Reason I'm asking is because I want to start buying Batman comics, with him being my favorite, and I place great emphasis on collecting key valuable issues which I can afford.

Thanks.

Are they valuable? Depends on the definition of valuable. It helps to collect what you love but in general Silver-Age Batmans have held there value well. Key issues like 1st Scarecrow are always in demand. Good luck!

They dont approach the prices of ASM or FF printed at the same time that's for sure

Are they valuable? Depends on the definition of valuable. It helps to collect what you love but in general Silver-Age Batmans have held there value well. Key issues like 1st Scarecrow are always in demand. Good luck!

I do collect what I love, I would buy a 1st silver age appearance of scarecrow, but not someone like poison ivy. My main goal is to build a collection of 80-100 valuable comics, rather than countless comics which aren't worth much. I'm not doing this out of an end game of selling them, but rather it's a nice feeling to own something which many hold valuable.

They dont approach the prices of ASM or FF printed at the same time that's for sure

That is correct sir. That's mainly due because those were new hero's that changed the silver age. A first silver age riddler or scarecrow isn't really a true first appearance. They appeared in the golden age. With that said a full batman collection from 1 to now on both bats and techs is extremely expensive....

I do collect what I love, I would buy a 1st silver age appearance of scarecrow, but not someone like poison ivy. My main goal is to build a collection of 80-100 valuable comics, rather than countless comics which aren't worth much. I'm not doing this out of an end game of selling them, but rather it's a nice feeling to own something which many hold valuable.

Just FYI, Batman #181 from 1966 is the actual first appearance of the character. Still relatively affordable.

I see a lot of the comics on Ebay with the text 1st Silver age appearance of scarecrow for example. Are these comics of importance in terms of the value of the comic or is it really the Golden age appearance which only matters.

Reason I'm asking is because I want to start buying Batman comics, with him being my favorite, and I place great emphasis on collecting key valuable issues which I can afford.

Thanks.

There are some expensive Batman keys in the silver age. Some of the nice ones are Detective comics 359 & batman 121. I personally collect Bats & techs. The Golden age is expensive and if you don't have the cash you won't be able to get the full collection. Otherwise the Bronze Age bats and techs are very nice. Settle for what you can afford that's what everyone does. Just make sure your happy.

Just FYI, Batman #181 from 1966 is the actual first appearance of the character. Still relatively affordable.

I forgot about poison ivy... That's a small investment. It will grow over time.

I forgot about poison ivy... That's a small investment. It will grow over time.

Poison Ivy definitely frows over time

I'm not crazy about most SA Bat books, but would love to get a high grade 'Tec 359.

Most from the late fifties to early sixties are downright turds.

Yeah but when you're trying to get a full run you have to buy the turds too.

I dont know they look alright to me.

bats190-cgc94_zps4dccc8b8.jpg