• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck R. SDCC FDQ Exit?

305 posts in this topic

I remember when folks went to Comic Con to buy comics. I'm old.

The problem with this is that there are people that want to buy comic at a con. Except with immediate access to internet, people comparatively shop. Let's throw raw books out the window. If I see the exact same graded book on eBay for a BIN at a cheaper price including than I can get in front of me then why pick it up in front of me? I respect the idea that a dealer may not be able to match that price and I move on.

What I absolutely do not respect is when a dealer is offering books, higher than they themselves have their own books listed online and will not come down in price on the book at the con to at least the price they are offering it for online. I have personally witnessed this on a few occasions. I asked if they could do "x" on a piece. One dealer explained to me that the tables at the cons cost money. Umm... okay. "Click" BIN see you in front of my doorstep in a few days, enjoy the eBay fees on top of that.

Here is his full, nauseating, sanctimonious letter -

Howdy !

I am turning 60 years old next March. I mention that major turning point in my life only because the last time that I did not attend a San Diego Comic-Con, I was 17 years old, and still in high school. Since I graduated, for all 42 years of my adult life, I have committed the heart of each of my summers to my personal obsession with experiencing the joys of the San Diego Comic-Con. I even passed this personal passion on my part on to my four daughters, all of whom spent their entire childhoods delightedly roaming the halls of the various incarnations of this great comics convention.

Sadly, that entire blessed reality may need to end after this year's show closes tomorrow evening. I have not yet found the courage to reach my final decision, but my best estimate is that, at our current rate of sales, we will suffer a loss of $10,000 at this year's show. As much as I like being a part of this wonderful gathering, I simply do not have the money to be able to pay $10,000 out of my own pocket for the privilege of providing the fans here with comic books. After 42 consecutive years in a row, it may finally (at long last...) be time for me to bid San Diego good-bye, forever.

Before I go further, I would encourage those of you who have not yet read my newsletter from yesterday to first read my analysis of some of the seismic changes that have contributed to our loss. The one factor that I would ask that you especially note when you read my first essay is the fact that our entire 7-booth display that we are operating at this year's San Diego convention was first premiered six weeks ago, at the Denver Comic-Con. Despite our having about 20,000 fewer comics available in Denver, and that convention being only three days long (with half the number of attendees as San Diego...), our sales per hour in Denver were double (!) what they are here. That made all the difference, as we turned a reasonable profit in Denver, as opposed to a massive loss in San Diego.

So how could an extremely successful back issue comics booth in Denver become so stunningly unsuccessful in San Diego? Because in Denver we were not being utterly crushed by the very publishers who's goods we sell on a daily basis. In a nutshell, the comics publishers with booths at the San Diego convention have so cleverly exploited the greed and avarice of comics fans through limited edition publications that are only available through their own booths, that there is no longer enough disposable income left in the room to sustain us. A sad state of affairs, but also completely true.

To illustrate my point, I had the leader of one of the major comics publishing houses stop by our booth on the way out the door last evening. This man has been our friend and ally for decades. He was absolutely ebullient yesterday evening in describing the amazing success that they were experiencing in their booth as a result of selling vast quantities of exclusive variants. I felt more than a little embarrassment and shame when I had to rain on his parade, by pointing out to him that the collective effect of his actions (combined with the other publishers and manufacturers at the show...) was devastating our sales. My response was not at all what he expected to hear. But as the validity of what I was expressing became clear, I could see awareness dawning in his eyes.

All of the above having been said, my publisher friend is an extremely astute man, so he quickly understood the unintended consequences of his actions. Given that he was only seeking to cover his own costs of exhibiting in this dreadfully expensive venue, however, he could muster no material reply to my pain. In many regards, that was the most depressing aspect of this entire fiasco. Being obviated by lifelong friends is particularly galling, especially when we it is clear that we are nothing more than collateral damage, in a battle being waged by giants.

So where does this leave us? As much as I hate to admit this, it now seems obvious to me now that we finally have to end a lifetime of exhibiting at San Diego, and instead seek out relatively popular comics conventions in other cities. Especially conventions where our publisher friends choose to not exhibit. Doesn't that thought just drip with irony? Comics publishers have evolved to become toxic to their own retailers. Who would ever have thought that would happen? Even with all my many years of experience, I simply cannot believe that our world has now been so perverted by the mania for exclusive variants, that comics retailers can now only survive in the absence of the very publishers we support. No matter how you look at it, this is a profoundly sad day.

Chuck Rozanski,

President-Mile High Comics, Inc.

Chuck continues to show his true colors. To Chuck, I would say your business failing is exactly what you deserve .Your duplicitous nature and out of touch business model are causing your losses, not the comic fans and publishers. You have alienated the most dedicated and affluent of customers from your company and , frankly, rip people off. Your high level of panache for blaming others for your failings is only equaled by your high degree of disdain your customers; as illustrated by your pathetic lashing out against comics fans in your letter - the first and foremost supporter of your 42 year old business. Your puerile admonishment of comic fans only makes you look even more sad and pathetic. Next you lash out at the publishers, the second supporter of your 42 year old business. Even if you really understood the business and if what you said was true; you still come out looking like a phony because you not only sell the very exclusive variants you puke forth in your letter, but actively participate in their production -

MAY149998.gif

23367366428.1.MILE.HIGH.GIF

03109314388.1.MILE.HIGH.GIF

So Chucky ole' boy, we all look forward to you not being there next year and look forward to you not being at many other shows.

Howdy !

I am turning 60 years old next March. I mention that major turning point in my life only because the last time that I did not attend a San Diego Comic-Con, I was 17 years old, and still in high school. Since I graduated, for all 42 years of my adult life, I have committed the heart of each of my summers to my personal obsession with experiencing the joys of the San Diego Comic-Con. I even passed this personal passion on my part on to my four daughters, all of whom spent their entire childhoods delightedly roaming the halls of the various incarnations of this great comics convention.

Sadly, that entire blessed reality may need to end after this year's show closes tomorrow evening. I have not yet found the courage to reach my final decision, but my best estimate is that, at our current rate of sales, we will suffer a loss of $10,000 at this year's show. As much as I like being a part of this wonderful gathering, I simply do not have the money to be able to pay $10,000 out of my own pocket for the privilege of providing the fans here with comic books. After 42 consecutive years in a row, it may finally (at long last...) be time for me to bid San Diego good-bye, forever.

Before I go further, I would encourage those of you who have not yet read my newsletter from yesterday to first read my analysis of some of the seismic changes that have contributed to our loss. The one factor that I would ask that you especially note when you read my first essay is the fact that our entire 7-booth display that we are operating at this year's San Diego convention was first premiered six weeks ago, at the Denver Comic-Con. Despite our having about 20,000 fewer comics available in Denver, and that convention being only three days long (with half the number of attendees as San Diego...), our sales per hour in Denver were double (!) what they are here. That made all the difference, as we turned a reasonable profit in Denver, as opposed to a massive loss in San Diego.

So how could an extremely successful back issue comics booth in Denver become so stunningly unsuccessful in San Diego? Because in Denver we were not being utterly crushed by the very publishers who's goods we sell on a daily basis. In a nutshell, the comics publishers with booths at the San Diego convention have so cleverly exploited the greed and avarice of comics fans through limited edition publications that are only available through their own booths, that there is no longer enough disposable income left in the room to sustain us. A sad state of affairs, but also completely true.

To illustrate my point, I had the leader of one of the major comics publishing houses stop by our booth on the way out the door last evening. This man has been our friend and ally for decades. He was absolutely ebullient yesterday evening in describing the amazing success that they were experiencing in their booth as a result of selling vast quantities of exclusive variants. I felt more than a little embarrassment and shame when I had to rain on his parade, by pointing out to him that the collective effect of his actions (combined with the other publishers and manufacturers at the show...) was devastating our sales. My response was not at all what he expected to hear. But as the validity of what I was expressing became clear, I could see awareness dawning in his eyes.

All of the above having been said, my publisher friend is an extremely astute man, so he quickly understood the unintended consequences of his actions. Given that he was only seeking to cover his own costs of exhibiting in this dreadfully expensive venue, however, he could muster no material reply to my pain. In many regards, that was the most depressing aspect of this entire fiasco. Being obviated by lifelong friends is particularly galling, especially when we it is clear that we are nothing more than collateral damage, in a battle being waged by giants.

So where does this leave us? As much as I hate to admit this, it now seems obvious to me now that we finally have to end a lifetime of exhibiting at San Diego, and instead seek out relatively popular comics conventions in other cities. Especially conventions where our publisher friends choose to not exhibit. Doesn't that thought just drip with irony? Comics publishers have evolved to become toxic to their own retailers. Who would ever have thought that would happen? Even with all my many years of experience, I simply cannot believe that our world has now been so perverted by the mania for exclusive variants, that comics retailers can now only survive in the absence of the very publishers we support. No matter how you look at it, this is a profoundly sad day.

Chuck Rozanski,

Chuck continues to show his true colors. To Chuck, I would say your business failing is exactly what you deserve .Your duplicitous nature and out of touch business model are causing your losses, not the comic fans and publishers. You have alienated the most dedicated and affluent of customers from your company and , frankly, rip people off. Your high level of panache for blaming others for your failings is only equaled by your high degree of disdain your customers; as illustrated by your pathetic lashing out against comics fans in your letter - the first and foremost supporter of your 42 year old business. Your puerile admonishment of comic fans only makes you look even more sad and pathetic. Next you lash out at the publishers, the second supporter of your 42 year old business. Even if you really understood the business and if what you said was true; you still come out looking like a phony because you not only sell the very exclusive variants you puke forth in your letter, but actively participating in their production -

MAY149998.gif

So Chucky ole' boy, we all look forward to you not being there next year and look forward to you not being at many other shows.

Talk about irony. :applause:

Howdy !

Chuck Rozanski,

Chuck continues to show his true colors. To Chuck, I would say your business failing is exactly what you deserve .Your duplicitous nature and out of touch business model are causing your losses, not the comic fans and publishers. You have alienated the most dedicated and affluent of customers from your company and , frankly, rip people off. Your high level of panache for blaming others for your failings is only equaled by your high degree of disdain your customers; as illustrated by your pathetic lashing out against comics fans in your letter - the first and foremost supporter of your 42 year old business. Your puerile admonishment of comic fans only makes you look even more sad and pathetic. Next you lash out at the publishers, the second supporter of your 42 year old business. Even if you really understood the business and if what you said was true; you still come out looking like a phony because you not only sell the very exclusive variants you puke forth in your letter, but actively participating in their production -

MAY149998.gif

Well said

A complete hypocrite with an overblown sense of entitlement.

The whole of SDCC is a gigantic commerce-event and he zeroes in on that one guy.

Like he thinks Publishers are support staff, beneath him, mere suppliers. Like they have no business retailing anything directly to his customers. Let alone cleaning his clock within eyesight.

"Being obviated by lifelong friends is particularly galling, especially when it is clear that we are nothing more than collateral damage, in a battle being waged by giants."

Usurped by once-friendly giants in his own temple. Particularly galling. Better to stay on Mt. Olympus than witness such heresy.

Or skip the whole pop-culture schtick, celebrities and the 1-2K tables…, and go back to having actual comic conventions, where the focus is....., buying and selling comics.

(thumbs u

I think it is fine that SDCC has been invaded by the pop-culture stuff, but it should stay in SDCC. We all know what the Con is and what it has become- even without having gone to the show.

The show brings attention to the medium. It might not be focused on comics, but it does still seem to focus a lot on comic book properties.

Someone else said this in the thread, but hasn't Chuck been complaining about the show for years? I don't get why he insists on still going. I remember watching a documentary about different con goers and he did nothing but complain about how difficult the show had gotten.

In '06 Mile High only had trades and hardbacks, no actual comics or back issues. I stayed away because I didn't want to pay his prices or pay to get them home. Has that changed? Are they bringing back issues or new books now?

While Chuck is misguided there is some truth to his words concerning exhibitor and dealer fees no longer making it viable for even some big companies to attend. Hasbro used to do both SDCC and NYCC. With the rising costs of SDCC they have not made an on-site presence since 2011 and have not even hosted a panel since 2012. Instead a select few reporters attend a private screening off site from the regular con. Lego has not been at NYCC since 2012 and are not slated to return this year.

The reason? They are only afforded a certain budget for cons and Hasbro has opted that SDCC is more important since the last budget no longer stretches to both comic cons if they want to maintain a presence at at least one con + devoted brand shows like Bot Con and Joe Con.

I think the real problem is how some dealers have been practicing the same old selling strategy since day 1. You need to adjust with the market and that means doing better market research on what will actually sell versus having a huge wall full of nothing nobody wants (i.e. 50 variants of that tacky Justice Flag Variant, etc.).

I think the Comic Madness booth is a good example of what the affordable consumer is looking to spend for despite selling nothing but Modern Issues. The line continuously moves, people continuously order back issues they need, and there's no inflated silver/bronze/copper to the mercy of cinema/OSPG/GPA. Straightforward business IMO.

Older dealers: start giving away stuff, start inducing something to make your booth actually interesting other than having large quantities with the typical retailer/clothing store jive of inflated price tags with 30-50% off signs. Do a raffle, have something of common interest to the new age consumer who can't afford your $200+ books that have no immediate significance to this younger generation.

As for limited edition prints, dealers have the same ability to do their own. I saw a few of Conquest Comics prints at the con being signed at the J Scott Campbell booth. To each his own strategy for making certain product 'limited' aside from merely saying "this is the last one left/we only have __ left" I mean come onn, I feel like I heard every trick in the book today from the average car salesman comic book dealer.

Or skip the whole pop-culture schtick, celebrities and the 1-2K tables..., and go back to having actual comic conventions, where the focus is....., buying and selling comics.

This is the first time in 12+ years I haven't gone to SDCC,I have more fun at Terry O'Neil's small show in Yorba Linda.Bonus no crowds and I don't have to spend 600.00 a night for a hotel. :)

was 19 straight years for me, but i gave up prior to last year

I have an idea... Don't have a 7 TABLE booth at a show that is now primarily for the showing of scifi/fantasy/super hero movies.

I received and read all 3 emails, to be honest they all really pissed me off. I'm not one to really feel sorry for anyone when the trouble is brought on from their own self entitlement. I have ordered from them several times in the past, and never had trouble with their grades or prices. However, I only order when they are 50-60% off. Last, how can you talk about greed when Mile High introduces several variants the same year?

Why does he need 7 booths?

What is that like 2 for comics and 5 for his ego?

my first thoughts exactly.

OK-- you are losing 10K? use less booths/streamline your display space and factor in that you are there to not just sell books but to advertise that you still exist-- it is a marketing expense. Business 101

sounds like he has built some enormously large selling area (matching ego - heh) that worked great for a smaller con like Denver. Who doesn't build one that is flexible enough to fit the venue?

would like to see what the Mile High setup looks like if there is a picture from this year.

Why does he need 7 booths?

What is that like 2 for comics and 5 for his ego?

my first thoughts exactly.

OK-- you are losing 10K? use less booths/streamline your display space and factor in that you are there to not just sell books but to advertise that you still exist-- it is a marketing expense. Business 101

sounds like he has built some enormously large selling area (matching ego - heh) that worked great for a smaller con like Denver. Who doesn't build one that is flexible enough to fit the venue?

would like to see what the Mile High setup looks like if there is a picture from this year.

+1

Anyone got a pic of the setup?

For me the irony is that he used nearly the same complaint - taking the working capital out of the room - when describing how he basically single-handedly destroyed a comic convention in Anaheim, Calif. back in 1977, one of the first times he sold some of the Church collection at a convention.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg24.html

Too bad the shoe's not the other foot now, huh Chuck?

For me the irony is that he used nearly the same complaint - taking the working capital out of the room - when describing how he basically single-handedly destroyed a comic convention in Anaheim, Calif. back in 1977, one of the first times he sold some of the Church collection at a convention.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg24.html

Too bad the shoe's not the other foot now, huh Chuck?

no kidding

and if not for falling into that stash of Church GA and then stumbling into the next enormous pile of SA -- this guy would have never been anything really.

maybe he made a similar deal on a tonage of moderns and didn't realize the equation is not even close to the same as before