• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Batman/DetectiveComics collection

28 posts in this topic

I finished the Batman run about 11 years ago. Batman is super easy to complete if you have near unlimited funds. I started by just buying any issue I could find that I could afford. I always focused on buying the most expensive item so if I had a choice between buying one expensive item or ten cheaper items, I would always go for the single expensive item. I used layaway for several really expensive items. Any time I did layaway, I made sure to pay off the book as quickly as possible and stayed 100% focused on buying it (i.e. didn't make any other purchases until it was paid for).

I gave up on the Detective run, just way too expensive but I have a lot of books that I love the covers of.

Here are some pictures I have taken over the years.

Those colors really pop. Great set! (thumbs u

Here is the list of keys I have put together not including pre robin Tec or Batman 1.I have not list any Bronze age or later keys because I already have them but have include some silver age keys

Detective Comics 40,46,58,66,67,68,73,140,168,225,233,236,265,267,289,359

Batman 5,15,16,25,47,49,59,61,103,121,122,129,139,144,155,171,181,189

I already have Tec 327 and Batman 121,139 and 171.

Don't forget Tec 45... First Joker story in Detective.

I am in a completely different league (or maybe income bracket). :facepalm:

But I am working on a collection that is a challenge and lots of fun to assemble; 1950's superheroes.

As far as Batman & Detective go, that's 190 books (Batman #57-128 and Detective #155-274). My goal is to acquire them all in VG to F condition. I have been working on this for a few years, but am only about 40 books into the process. On 90% of the books, I have found prices that I thought were bargains. I bought Batman #121 before it got hot and I got a good deal on a lower grade Detective #225 from a boardie (thanks Sharon :hi:).

I can tell you that some of the Detectives from the 50's are pretty hard to come by. Even the ones as late as 1958 are less common than you would think. A case in point is #253; not too many around.

The most important thing is to have fun and to be patient.

Good luck!

But I am working on a collection that is a challenge and lots of fun to assemble; 1950's superheroes.

As far as Batman & Detective go, that's 190 books (Batman #57-128 and Detective #155-274). My goal is to acquire them all in VG to F condition. I have been working on this for a few years, but am only about 40 books into the process. On 90% of the books, I have found prices that I thought were bargains. I bought Batman #121 before it got hot and I got a good deal on a lower grade Detective #225 from a boardie (thanks Sharon :hi:).

I can tell you that some of the Detectives from the 50's are pretty hard to come by. Even the ones as late as 1958 are less common than you would think. A case in point is #253; not too many around.

Good luck!

The patient part is key... It took me close to 15 years get a Batman 1.

Hi Lyle.

I think The Gator has completed both and can give you his insight. I completed Batman 1 - 500. I always think it is best to get the keys first. Settle on a grade tolerance range and plow through it.

Greg, Batman-fan has a complete set of Batman as well I believe.

I sold mine some years ago to focus on a broader collection set

Bill

i used to have both..but i let ciorac over night......

Hi Lyle.

I think The Gator has completed both and can give you his insight. I completed Batman 1 - 500. I always think it is best to get the keys first. Settle on a grade tolerance range and plow through it.

Greg, Batman-fan has a complete set of Batman as well I believe.

I sold mine some years ago to focus on a broader collection set

Bill

i used to have both..but i let ciorac over night......

:sorry:

Good luck!

Acquiring 50's Detectives is very tough if you collect only high grade copies since there is a lot of competition for the handful of high grade books that still exist! In my opinion, books from this time period often have darker pages and tanning issues than 40's Detectives. I also noticed that Detective 253 is a particularly tough 50's book to find! 50's Detectives are great books to collect and challenging if you are looking to acquire nice copies! EJR