• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Appearance of Modern Guardians of the Galaxy Team?

43 posts in this topic

Really at this point who cares.

If this is in reference to the Avengers discussion I understand your point. If this is in regards to GotG it makes quite a big difference.

AC 6 has been consistently selling for around 40 to 50 dollars in raw high grade for about a year and a half now (at least), whereas GotG 1 (2008) has seen significant gains several times over.

Should the market decided at some point that AC 6 is the book to have well you could make a very large amount of money selling GotG 1s right now and putting all of your money into buying copies of AC 6.

AC 6 has a lower print run, by several thousand copies, released first (duh), and acts as the lead-in to the 2008 GotG series, with a last page of text even advertising plans for the series. It seems like the book collectors would want. However, GotG is a number 1 issue though, and that number 1 can be hard for buyers to ignore.

So, the Avengers don't matter but the GotG do ? We should debate GotG most important 30th, 40th, 50th appearance or more of these characters but its a moot point when discussing the Avengers ? I guess there must be some reason... hm

Since over the years, the Avengers have had such a large revolving door of characters involving their membership, the market decided that they did not need the headache and Avengers 1 went up in value. Due to the limited publication and iterations of team rosters for the Guardians of the Galaxy, it allows itself for discussion.

I see your point. However Avengers #1 was relatively expensive 30 years ago. The GotG #1 vol2 is hot because it is the incarnation of the team represented in the movie. There is, as I've learned, an incarnation of the Avengers as presented in the movie, in Avengers Assemble #1. So regardless of the number of variations of the Avengers and the fact that Avengers #1 was extremely desirable prior to the movie, why should one matter more than the other ? It really isn't much of a headache to determine that their is only one version of each team's 1st appearance as a team together.

My point wasn't that the Avengers Assemble is some huge find, it's that the GotG have been around as long as I have and there are no 1st appearances of any given character in any issue currently being chased. 2c

If this is in reference to the Avengers discussion I understand your point. If this is in regards to GotG it makes quite a big difference.

AC 6 has been consistently selling for around 40 to 50 dollars in raw high grade for about a year and a half now (at least), whereas GotG 1 (2008) has seen significant gains several times over.

Should the market decided at some point that AC 6 is the book to have well you could make a very large amount of money selling GotG 1s right now and putting all of your money into buying copies of AC 6.

AC 6 has a lower print run, by several thousand copies, released first (duh), and acts as the lead-in to the 2008 GotG series, with a last page of text even advertising plans for the series. It seems like the book collectors would want. However, GotG is a number 1 issue though, and that number 1 can be hard for buyers to ignore.

So, the Avengers don't matter but the GotG do ? We should debate GotG most important 30th, 40th, 50th appearance or more of these characters but its a moot point when discussing the Avengers ? I guess there must be some reason... hm

Since over the years, the Avengers have had such a large revolving door of characters involving their membership, the market decided that they did not need the headache and Avengers 1 went up in value. Due to the limited publication and iterations of team rosters for the Guardians of the Galaxy, it allows itself for discussion.

I see your point. However Avengers #1 was relatively expensive 30 years ago. The GotG #1 vol2 is hot because it is the incarnation of the team represented in the movie. There is, as I've learned, an incarnation of the Avengers as presented in the movie, in Avengers Assemble #1. So regardless of the number of variations of the Avengers and the fact that Avengers #1 was extremely desirable prior to the movie, why should one matter more than the other ? It really isn't much of a headache to determine that their is only one version of each team's 1st appearance as a team together.

My point wasn't that the Avengers Assemble is some huge find, it's that the GotG have been around as long as I have and there are no 1st appearances of any given character in any issue currently being chased. 2c

I would not call Avengers 1 a relatively expensive book in comparison to other books that we regard as keys of that time. Someone like Shadroch who has more knowledge for the Silver Age market during the 80's will either correct me or expand upon what I am about to say. Avengers 1 was a low draw book. 30 years ago, the focus of Silver Age keys looked at AF15, FF1, X-Men 1 and other books where there were first appearances. Avengers 1 was cheap in comparison even then. Avengers 1 is finally re-examined as a major key book with the advent of CGC and the production of the Marvel movies.

Consider this, what exactly does Avengers 1 hallmark?

There are no new heroes. Every hero in the book was grouped from issues of a failed title or an anthology book. Hulk failed. Thor, Iron Man and Ant Man all came from Anthology books. Even a discarded character would find a home in the title by issue 4.

There are no new villains. Loki had already appeared in Marvel's anthology book, Journey into Mystery.

It is not even Marvel's first team book. That distinction belongs to the Fantastic Four. Avengers is even published the same month as X-Men 1. X-Men 1 at least features a new cast of characters and a new villain as well as a new concept for how characters have powers.

The only distinction that Avengers has is that it was a early Marvel #1 book. It gained real steam only in the last 10-15 years and further steam because of the movies.

I would not call Avengers 1 a relatively expensive book in comparison to other books that we regard as keys of that time. Someone like Shadroch who has more knowledge for the Silver Age market during the 80's will either correct me or expand upon what I am about to say. Avengers 1 was a low draw book. 30 years ago, the focus of Silver Age keys looked at AF15, FF1, X-Men 1 and other books where there were first appearances. Avengers 1 was cheap in comparison even then. Avengers 1 is finally re-examined as a major key book with the advent of CGC and the production of the Marvel movies.

Consider this, what exactly does Avengers 1 hallmark?

There are no new heroes. Every hero in the book was grouped from issues of a failed title or an anthology book. Hulk failed. Thor, Iron Man and Ant Man all came from Anthology books. Even a discarded character would find a home in the title by issue 4.

There are no new villains. Loki had already appeared in Marvel's anthology book, Journey into Mystery.

It is not even Marvel's first team book. That distinction belongs to the Fantastic Four. Avengers is even published the same month as X-Men 1. X-Men 1 at least features a new cast of characters and a new villain as well as a new concept for how characters have powers.

The only distinction that Avengers has is that it was a early Marvel #1 book. It gained real steam only in the last 10-15 years and further steam because of the movies.

I don't need clarification to know it wasn't AF 15, FF 1, or the like but to say it wasn't an expensive or highly desired book along with #4 is incorrect. Keys would also include stuff like Daredevil #1, etc. I could buy stuff like IH 181 for a lot less and it's pretty key, wouldn't you agree ?

Replace the word Avengers with GotG and you and I are on exactly the same page. No mainstream characters, no 1st appearances, etc. that is exactly why I'm not understanding GotG. :grin: