• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil Tops Movie Box Office

30 posts in this topic

You have to remember that the first week is based a lot on the level of promotional dollars spent and nothing more. All the big movies make a huge splash the first week, usually in the $80-$100+ million range. It's a given in this industry to make a big opening weekend if you lay down the bucks for heavy advertising.

It's the second, third and following weeks that tell the tale, and if the movie trails off due to word-of-mouth, then say bye-bye to the $150-$200 million "success" range and any hopes of a best-selling DVD release.

So far, the majority of revenue should go to Jennifer Garner, since she seems to be bringing the teenage male crowd in like crazy.

My wife and I saw it today and we both thought it ws very good. I have never been a big DD fan and she does not lke comics much at all. Thought all aspects were well done and well presented. Had that same pumped feeling as I had after seeing Matrix, Spidey, Lord of the Rings. A good action flick! Don't think it will do anything but spur sales on ebay and make them want to do more Marvel movies I hope. Was looking for the worst after reviews I read here but was pleasantly surprised.

I saw the film with my wife (who knows nothing about comics) and my two oldest children ages 9 & 6. My wife and the 9 year old both loved it. The 6 year old found it too scary.

I enjoyed the film. Not as much as Spider-man, but enjoyable none the less.

It's the second, third and following weeks that tell the tale, and if the movie trails off due to word-of-mouth, then say bye-bye to the $150-$200 million "success" range and any hopes of a best-selling DVD release.

Absolutely. Right now the movie is benefiting from (a) a gargantuan marketing blitz and (b) very soft competition for your box office dollars. The real test is where this movie will be 3 weeks from now.

While I don't expect good word of mouth on this one with the non-comic reading public, I continue to believe that the film will do around $150 million to $200 million worldwide, which is around where the two Blade films, Affleck's "The Sum of All Fears" and Damon's "The Bourne Identity" ended up. Publicly, Marvel and the comic press will hail this as a tremendous success, but in private, they will be disappointed that the coattails of Spider-Man didn't take them to $250-$300 million.

Gene

It should interesting to see what the drop off is for the second week. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the movie was (my expectations were very low) and the crowd reaction was pretty positive - my wife liked it better than Spider-man. I liked the little artist/writer tributes they had throughout the movie (the Frank Miller one was pretty funny) - but where was Gene Colan????

My wife and I both give it a thumbs up...I like the Spidey movie better, but thought this was pretty good too. My wife knows nothing about DD, but a little tutorial on the way to the theatre and she was able to follow the characters. However, IMHO they could've just left the Kingpin out altogether...Bullseye and Electra stole the show.

I thought the DAREDEVIL movie was good. Just didn't think it was for kids. Too much gross bloodshed for the kiddies. I think some parents won't be going to see the next one if there ever is one. Or they may not take the kids to see any other movies that got to do with comic superheros if they think they are gonna be full of this type of killing stuff.

I thought the DAREDEVIL movie was good.

My wife and I both give it a thumbs up...

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the movie was

My wife and the 9 year old both loved it.

Hey guys, I respect everybody's right to their own opinions, but I just don't understand the praise for this movie. This movie has been panned by both critics and regular viewers alike. I have seen no critic give it higher than a "B" and I have seen many "C+"s, "C"s and "D+"s given (i.e., 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 stars). You can say that critics don't like the action/adventure or superhero genre, but I recall these very same critics giving Spidey hugely positive reviews, X-Men generally high reviews and even Blade getting some nods, so that argument just doesn't wash with me.

I really, Really, REALLY WANTED to like this movie. People who know me know how HUGE a DD fan I am. But this was simply not a good film on many fronts (see my review on the "DD Spoilers" thread). It wasn't terrible, but when a couple of non-comic fan friends of mine asked me this weekend what I thought of the movie, I just couldn't put a positive spin on it. I know that if they were to see it on my recommendation, they would likely think I'd lost my marbles.

I enthusiastically recommended the Spidey and X-Men movies to others (didn't think the latter was spectacular, but thought it was worth seeing on the big screen), because I thought they were both solid films and that non-comic fans who saw them might want to see future comic-book related releases. However, I would hope that most people skip "Daredevil" and proceed directly to "X2" or "the Hulk", because I think "Daredevil" is of sufficiently low quality that it could literally turn off all but the most die-hard comic fans to future comic film releases.

Gene

I liked the little artist/writer tributes they had throughout the movie (the Frank Miller one was pretty funny) - but where was Gene Colan????

Colan was the name of one of the fighters Jack fought early in the film.

Interesting that Miller had two tributes... one with the Miller, Mack and Bendis line... and then in the credits, the guy killed with pencils = Frank Miller...

Personally, I have on many occasions enjoyed a movie that has had bad reviews.

Sometimes, I feel these reviewers specifically look for things in a movie that are supposed to make it good, like story arcs and character developement. (Only mentioning these because I remember someone else targeting these aspects). It's quite possible for a movie to lack these things and still be enjoyable. Whatever it was lacking, was more than made up not only with it's dark nature, but also in its intensity. (For most people, not all)

One scene I remember, and only because at that point my wife grabbed my arm and held tight, was Daredevil jumping off a roof to get to the ground. Fabulous camera angles to really make you feel like you were right behind him. Half way down he seems to stop as the camera swings around and we continue watching his decent while in front. Whatta ride. With scenes like these, who needs story arcs and character development.

One scene I remember, and only because at that point my wife grabbed my arm and held tight, was Daredevil jumping off a roof to get to the ground. Fabulous camera angles to really make you feel like you were right behind him. Half way down he seems to stop as the camera swings around and we continue watching his decent while in front. Whatta ride. With scenes like these, who needs story arcs and character development.
Preach on, brotha!! I turn off my critical eye for popcorn films, and this one took me for a nice ride. Miller's vision of Daredevil mostly brought to life. Nothing to go down in the annals of film history, but definitely worth watching; the depiction of him swinging around was much better than I expected. Doesn't compare to the Matrix or Spider-Man, but still enjoyable.

>>I turn off my critical eye for popcorn films, and this one took me for a nice ride.

I can respect that opinion, and when I go see a movie, it's not like I'm critiquing every scene, just trying to enjoy a bit of 2-hour fantasy. For me, Daredevil didn't work in the least and I found it a mish-mash of several other movies, with no story, a horrid (soon-to-be dated) soundtrack and an absolutely deplorable and cheese-filled -script.

I'm also not a hard-sell for the action genre and as long as there is a semblance of story, interesting characters and a "hook", then I'm hooked.

After mulling the movie over a bit, I feel the big mistake was having the personal attack happen to a sideline character (Elektra's father being whacked) rather than the protagonist. DD seemed to stumble around letting things happen to other people, and joining in the action here and there.

If the screenwriter hadn't let the Elektra sub-plot dominate the last part of the movie, it might have been a lot better. Either that, or call it Elektra vs. Bullseye and just toss DD out entirely. Now that might have been a cool revenge flick.