• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Scanning

10 posts in this topic

Ok, i'm going to put up some of my comics to get an idea of grading from you folks. What resolution on my scanner should I set it to? Or what size? I want to make sure I scan these to the best that I can to make it easier to look at them.

How do I place the scanned pic into a post?

Thanks

Ok, i'm going to put up some of my comics to get an idea of grading from you folks. What resolution on my scanner should I set it to? Or what size? I want to make sure I scan these to the best that I can to make it easier to look at them.

Thanks

Ok, Ok - I'll answer this one: Scan your books at 200 dpi minimum, resize to 4" width using a graphics program (adobe, etc.) while maintaining proportion and dpi settings, then compress 25% to reduce overall file size. This should result in nice 250 to 350 kb images.

To host your images, sign up for photobucket.com free service.

To post simply copy the image tag inside your post.

Give it a try! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks

Ok, Ok - I'll answer this one: Scan your books at 200 dpi minimum, resize to 4" width using a graphics program (adobe, etc.) while maintaining proportion and dpi settings, then compress 25% to reduce overall file size. This should result in nice 250 to 350 kb images.

To host your images, sign up for photobucket.com free service.

To post simply copy the image tag inside your post.

Give it a try! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I don't think you need to start at 200 dpi if you're going to shrink them down...I scan my books at 100 dpi and don't resize, compress, or do any post-scanner processing to end up with scans like the one below that are typically less than 300 kb.

What's the file size and bandwidth limit for photobucket? I looked into using them, but as I recall there was some drawback that made it impractical.

hotw6_original.jpg

I don't think you need to start at 200 dpi if you're going to shrink them down...I scan my books at 100 dpi and don't resize, compress, or do any post-scanner processing to end up with scans like the one below that are typically less than 300 kb.

There is a reason for scanning pics with high resolutions and then resizing them. Scanning with some resolutions, usually in lower dpi, moire patterns develop in scans, JUST like in a picture you posted.

Try to scan that same book with higher resolution and then resize,... you will get much better results that way.

There is a reason for scanning pics with high resolutions and then resizing them. Scanning with some resolutions, usually in lower dpi, moire patterns develop in scans, JUST like in a picture you posted.

Try to scan that same book with higher resolution and then resize,... you will get much better results that way.

Hmmm...thanks for the tips! I save my files as jpgs directly from the scanner, so I assume that's the "compressing" part? I scanned this one in at 200 dpi and and reduced the size to one comparable to my original scan. I guess I don't have the correct software to do it correctly as this one looks "fuzzy" although the moire pattern is gone and it's only about 230k?

hotw6_200dpi.jpg

DB, looks good! My guess is that the scan more accurately reflects the condition of the book (very nice! btw.) When resizing, make sure the dpi settings stay the same.

Try using Adobe Photo deluxe program that comes with most scanners (separate) or Corel Picture or Microsoft Picture it, etc. (any photo image software will do). The default settings on you scanner may be explored too.

MC!