• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little semi-scientific experiment

43 posts in this topic

I once stared at a book so long that it flattened out. My glance is heavy man, heavy.

I once stared at a book so long that it flattened out. My glance is heavy man, heavy.

So when you look in a mirror do you flatten yourself?

yes

Another book had a crunch on the top left corner, didn't break colour. After several years the crunch was flattened and almost unnoticeable..The fortress duplicates the experiment you are conducting.

Even when you held it up to the light? I find that highly doubtful. It might look flat, but the NCBs will still be there.

Just think what a different world we would be living in if all scientists decided what they wanted their results to show before they began their experiment.

Now how will the Marvel Tales not be flatter than when this experiment started?

I think it wil be flatter myself. I am wondering how much flatter but I will have to see.

Also, most scientist formulate a idea (hypothesis) of what they believe will happen. Very standard part of the scientific method. (thumbs u

"Semi" is most certainly the operative word used here. I imagine bm-fan will be sure to also keep the pressure applied for 30-35 years, undisturbed, as well.

You're just so desperate to shout down anyone who's anti-pressing. doh!

What are you so worried about, Richard? You guys have already won the war. Why do you feel the need to try to stamp out every remaining bit of dissent?

Of course the book will be flatter. But will it result in the same degree of flattening that pressing would? That's the question, and the answer of course will be "no".

What are you so worried about, Richard? You guys have already won the war. Why do you feel the need to try to stamp out every remaining bit of dissent?

Of course the book will be flatter. But will it result in the same degree of flattening that pressing would? That's the question, and the answer of course will be "no".

lol

No shouting. Just observing. Flatten away. Hell, you might as well put a million pounds on it and squeeze it to dust. I just feel sorry for that poor Marvel Tales. It will be all cooped up under 140 lbs., to never be read. A shame really. Makes me terribly sad.

No shouting. Just observing. Flatten away. Hell, you might as well put a million pounds on it and squeeze it to dust. I just feel sorry for that poor Marvel Tales. It will be all cooped up under 140 lbs., to never be read. A shame really. Makes me terribly sad.

Don't worry Rich, the book will still get lots of love. That has one of my favorite stories from Spiderman so it will get looked at and read again.

Quick look at day 1 results. I figured I would take a look at it to see how much it has changed in a short time before letting it sit for a couple of weeks (two back to back business trips).

Corner crease is definitely less but not flat yet. You can see the crease still in the picture and if you run a finger over it, you can feel it (note, I made there was no booger on the finger I used).

null_zpsd2717db7.jpg

I can't tell if the spine roll has been flattened or not, but here are a few pics.

null_zps62da4485.jpg

null_zps9488c582.jpg

But nobody actually, truly believes that pressing a book with encyclopedias is the same as professionally pressing a book - so I don't understand what there is to prove. :makepoint:

What will an experiment like this prove that everyone doesn't already know?

OMG!!, Desperate Richard is on a tear defending his pressed collection!!! Everybody come quick!!!

Shout down in the GA going on!!!

I kid.

But I have to ask, what exactly is the argument/experiment here?

That creased books under weight will become flatter?

That church books while under weight did not become pressed?

Or if you had to declare afterward, could you tell if a book was intentionally pressed properly, improperly, or just put in a stack under a lot of weight?

And fwiw, I did the exact same thing 6 years ago, but I used an iron.

:blush:

Or if you had to declare afterward, could you tell if a book was intentionally pressed properly, improperly, or just put in a stack under a lot of weight?

That the defects that can be removed by "modern" pressing, i.e., what you and Matt do, cannot be removed merely by "10-foot stack of comics" pressing.

And therefore, when people talk about manipulating books by "pressing", they're talking about "modern" pressing and not "10-foot stack of comics" pressing.

This thread can be directly traced back to some comments from Rick in one of the 9.0 Action 1 threads. I think Batman Fan and I were both surprised that people are still trotting out the old "10-foot Mile High stacks" myth to defend pressing. I thought that myth had been "busted" long ago.

What in the world are you so scared of, Roy?

I'll try to make sure you never come to my daughter's science fair. I'd hate for her to be using a vacuum cylinder to show that a feather falls just as fast as a rock in a vacuum, and suddenly have you run up to snatch away the vacuum cylinder, screaming that she needs to cease and desist immediately because the principle of her experiment is already well known and the experiment was first done hundreds of years ago.

How can you be so mean to little kids?

That the defects that can be removed by "modern" pressing, i.e., what you and Matt do, cannot be removed merely by "10-foot stack of comics" pressing.

And therefore, when people talk about manipulating books by "pressing", they're talking about "modern" pressing and not "10-foot stack of comics" pressing.

This thread can be directly traced back to some comments from Rick in one of the 9.0 Action 1 threads. I think Batman Fan and I were both surprised that people are still trotting out the old "10-foot Mile High stacks" myth to defend pressing. I thought that myth had been "busted" long ago.

For the record...I don't press books to press books Tim, that's Matts thing.

I probably should, but decided not to long ago.

And I don't recall anybody ever saying stacked books yielded similar results to those of a pro pressed book. Just that the two are so similar in nature that stacked books are essentially pressed to some degree.

People on either side have said as much for years.

I am surprised you are so worked up about it knowing what you do.

What in the world are you so scared of, Roy?

I'll try to make sure you never come to my daughter's science fair. I'd hate for her to be using a vacuum cylinder to show that a feather falls just as fast as a rock in a vacuum, and suddenly have you run up to snatch away the vacuum cylinder, screaming that she needs to cease and desist immediately because the principle of her experiment is already well known and the experiment was first done hundreds of years ago.

How can you be so mean to little kids?

Your story makes no sense. Over react much? lol

What would I be scared of? I'm simply asking the question since we've all done it as kids and we all know what the outcome will be. I'm just asking what the point of the experiment is? (shrug)

Or are you saying that I shouldn't ask...and if I do it's like 'screaming cease and desist immediately'.

:o

For the record...I don't press books to press books Tim, that's Matts thing.

I probably should, but decided not to long ago.

And I don't recall anybody ever saying stacked books yielded similar results to those of a pro pressed book. Just that the two are so similar in nature that stacked books are essentially pressed to some degree.

People on either side have said as much for years.

I am surprised you are so worked up about it knowing what you do.

You need to cease and desist, bro.