• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inexpensive Superman CGC comic question

42 posts in this topic

So I'm best to buy it raw and then send it to CGC myself?

I thought I read that it makes more sense to already buy it graded as the first person took the risk and expense?

Sometimes one can get a CGC book on Ebay without paying too much more than a raw book. Having said that the predominant trend is that CGC books normally command a significant premium over raw books. It can be tricky to judge a books grade from a scan, and many books for sale have way too small of a photo or scan. You also have to figure in the cost and time in submitting your own books. In short there are no easy answers.

I would also add Superman #141 to the ones mentioned by skypinkblu, it has a terrific 3 part story. Another excellent option would be Superman #108. Technically it is the last Golden Age Superman, as it has a cover date of September 1956. Note; not every collector agrees with this definition either, as it's in place to provide a dividing line between the Golden Age and the Silver Age of comics.

SUPSCGC_108.jpg

What I think is funny is that had brought up the MOS #19, Superman #204 and # 505, as well as the Death of Superman #75 previously in a different thread as to whether these comics had any merit and was told by everyone that they were !

That being said they are too recent for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm really thinking important moments or unique covers in Superman history, Silver or Golden age. Lesser expensive Swan, Boring etc....

I like all the ideas thus far!!