• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Your Kryptonite?...

86 posts in this topic

When it comes to Superhero tales, what 'power' kills it for you? Your personal storykilling kryptonite?

For me it's always been stretchy heroes, doesn't matter who. Even as a little kid I just couldn't suspend disbelief that much (for some reason). If one shows up, some reality-check mental b-slap occurs, kicking me outside the story.

Anyone else have a power or trait they just can't buy into? Doesn't matter how well written or how beloved by most fans?

Shapeshifting? Catching fire? Micro people? Any powers you can never accept, no matter what?

Most flying hero's....like where it is not really explained 'how' they fly. hm

I love subby,but those little wings?Superman...just...flys?Iron Man,okay,humantorch,I get it...Storm..alright.But just the power of flight with no reason?Uh uh.Always drove me crazy.Silver Surfer has his board...Okay.Really,just Superman and hero's, villains that fly like him drives me cbatty I guess.

I love subby,but those little wings?Superman...just...flys?Iron Man,okay,humantorch,I get it...Storm..alright.But just the power of flight with no reason?Uh uh.Always drove me crazy.Silver Surfer has his board...Okay.Really,just Superman and hero's, villains that fly like him drives me cbatty I guess.

Why does HT get a pass?

I'll 2nd the little 'mercury' foot-wings thing.

Three or four ankle feathers ain't doin' jack. Sorry. It's some editor forgetting to pick up his eraser.

They always bugged me too. If anything a submariner should have fins/flippers there, not feathered wings. They're what would worry me the most about a Subby movie. How would they handle them?

Why does HT get a pass?

Heat rises? (shrug) Makes sense to me.

Why does HT get a pass?

Does he turn into fire? Or does he catch fire? Either one I'd find just as hard to swallow as someone flying, and neither is kryptonite for me.

Why does HT get a pass?

The heat would have to stay inside though... right ? (shrug)

Why does HT get a pass?

But he's the heat source, not the hot air. Burning logs don't float up the chimney, right?

Why does HT get a pass?

Generates own updrafts and becomes lighter than air? Ignites own farts for propulsion? (shrug)

Why does HT get a pass?

Does he turn into fire? Or does he catch fire? Either one I'd find just as hard to swallow as someone flying, and neither is kryptonite for me.

I always thought he caught fire, his skin somehow combusts. If you get hot enough flying doesn't seem out of the question for me (no more so than catching fire in the first place). I can buy it and can suspend disbelief far enough to accept it.

What has always bugged me is the Flash (mainly Barry, I don't think Wally could do this) vibrating through solid objects like walls. That always seemed to be too far to stretch super speed.

Floating burning logs and fart propulsion..... :roflmao: ah...you're killing me....

I guess he is propelling himself upwards with gusts of super heated air?I dunno...just makes more sense than raising your arms and flying....and Thor....throwing his hammer so hard he can hold on and fly?Is big Moose even that strong ? lol

I don't care for over the top "universe shaping" storylines. Sure I can make an individual exception here or there, but the whole idea that something like the existence of the cosmos is going to be decided in a one on one battle between two super-powered beings is too much of a stretch even in the world of comics. So "event" cross-overs, and god-like superpowers have little appeal to me. I prefer my superhero comics with at least a couple toes if not an entire foot still in the "real world", which is why I'm far more likely to check out a Batman or Daredevil series than Superman one.

Why does HT get a pass?

I always thought he caught fire, his skin somehow combusts. If you get hot enough flying doesn't seem out of the question for me (no more so than catching fire in the first place). I can buy it and can suspend disbelief far enough to accept it.

What has always bugged me is the Flash (mainly Barry, I don't think Wally could do this) vibrating through solid objects like walls. That always seemed to be too far to stretch super speed.

DO NOT DOUBT BARRY!!! :sumo: