• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four 26 (with fancy doodling)

15 posts in this topic

:hi: Howdy!

Picked this up at an antique store over the weekend, and I'm curious as to how folks feel extensive, er, penmanship would affect the grade of this book. The ink is visible on the inside cover.

Among other major flaws: There is a 1.5-inch tear at the middle left edge of the back cover, a subscription crease, and the teeny hanging chad at the right middle edge of the front cover. Everything is firmly attached and complete inside.

FF26a_zps67e413c7.jpg

FF26b_zps832c77e7.jpg

Thank you! Any other thoughts? I'm trying to figure out a consensus grade from our expert community, because I have a difficult time gauging grades when there is writing on the cover.

Supposedly doodling on the cover does not detract much from the grade, but in this case it is rather extensive. Overall the book presents as a 5.0. However although CGC might treat the "art" the same as an unwitnessed signature and give it a green label at that, I could just the same see it dropping the grade a couple of points overall instead.

Thank you for the feedback. I think I will sell it as a 2.5 but point out that structurally it is better than that. My personal feeling is it's probably a 3.0 or so, but I'd rather undergrade.

I was thinking 5.0 - (whatever the doodling costs you).

2.5/3.0 seems reasonable. (shrug)

+1 5.0 without the doodling...

I'm guessing CGC would go 3.5