• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SC #16 opinions wanted

12 posts in this topic

This book has a lot of wear you can see, but it also has a ton of cover gloss, but the pages are light tan. The spine is split up to about 3/5ths 40% up from the bottom of the cover, but still attached at the top staple. In a slab it'd probably look like a VG book, but with the slit it feels fragile. Opinions on grade, and if I should just get is slabbed as is, or have the split sealed and go for the conserved label - and what grade will that get me?

SC16cRAW_zps9182fe4b.jpg

I don't know what GCC would grade it, but with 60% of the spine split, I'd consider it about a 1.5, maybe 1.8 if the rest of the spine seems secure.

I don't see much value in slabbing it with or without the spine repaired.

I don't know what GCC would grade it, but with 60% of the spine split, I'd consider it about a 1.5, maybe 1.8 if the rest of the spine seems secure.

Ok, but It's the other way around, about 40% split (I corrected my post) - and glossy as all heck.

I'm not sure you know how rare these are in any shape.

Ok, but It's the other way around, about 40% split (I corrected my post) - and glossy as all heck.

In that case 1.8, with decent eye appeal. A quick check of ebay indicates roughly 1.5 to 3.5 copies go for $40 -$60 with shipping.

In that case 1.8, with decent eye appeal. A quick check of ebay indicates roughly 1.5 to 3.5 copies go for $40 -$60 with shipping.

I hear ya, and I realize I'm try to justify a grade because of the scarcity of the book. Silly me. But I also didn't realize that CGC killed a book so much for a spine-split. Maybe that's why they are now allowing sealed tears in a conserved ;label.

I am looking at Showcase 16's on eBay all the time - they are all low grade, and always rags. This one at least had a decent looking cover. It's probably no higher than you say - I guess this hold a spot for a better grade, and the hunt continues.

It does have VG eye appeal. I don't know just how CGC would treat it, but it I'm pretty sure it would be closer to 2.0 than 4.0.

I noticed Heritage did sell a slabbed 5.0 for over $300 recently, so maybe it is one of those books that jumps up in value once you find a decent mid-grade.

Yeah, I totally missed that one, or the price would have likely been a bit higher. :/

That's the bug about these kinds of books, they never come up, you got to scoop them up when they do. You never know when they're going to show up again.

I wonder if it's worth having the spine-split sealed and pressed? I know it sounds nuts, but what could that cost to have a long tear sealed - a press is only $15?

I decided to get it graded, a place-holder until higher grade copy comes along.

Grades just posted, blue 1.8 (no tape, spine split bottom to the 1st staple).

It's going to be one nice looking 1.8.

(thumbs u