• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Series Daredevil question on CGCing what issues

47 posts in this topic

I currently own the entire first series of the Daredevil. But the only issues I have CGCed are numbers: 1 (in the mail to CGC, should be 9.?), 3 (8.0), 5 (9.0), 7 (9.0), 9 (9.0). I plan on getting at least 1-40 CGCed, along with 43, 44, 81, 100, 103, 121, 131, 158, 163, 167, 175, 177, and 290.

I am still clueless where to find the market prices for CGCed comics, so pardon my lack of knowledge.

My entire collection should be graded at 9.0 and above for most issues.

What are the key issues for daredevil?

At this grade level, would it be worth it in the short term to CGC the entire collection?

Anyone want to take a guess at the market value of an entire CGCed collection of Daredevil at this grade level?

To maximize your profit margin if you're looking to sell, you should have slabbed them months ago. The movie hype will die down soon & only the key issues/high grades will command a premium. If you want to buy slabbed for your collection, then buy after the hype dies & ppl start unloading.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

Here is the auction I won them from. He sold them to me since I was the highest bidder. I drove from Dallas to Alb, NM to pick them up. They were *NICE*! I was so thrilled to get such a deal. But not being well versed at grading, I am sending them off as my first post indicates. I am getting back into the hobby. When I began collecting, there was no such thing as CGC. So this is all new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74&item=2155815944&rd=1

Here is a list of his discription. You will find 16 and 17 there.

For this auction your looking to get the Complete Daredevil Collection 1 thru 380. You would have a hard time finding another collection in this beautiful condition. All grades posted are to the best of my knowlegde and as honest as possible. I cannot give an exact CGC grade however,you will find that these books are strictly graded and are also slightly undergraded to assure your complete satisfaction. I do not want to disappoint you. All books on this auction are (to the very best of my knowledge) unrestored. You are more than welcome to have look at these books before you pay me. If you are not satisfied with the gradings after you win this auction I will not accept your payment. However, once you have inspected the books by either yourself or an expert all sales are final and sold as is. Due to various unforseen curcumstances, such as damage from transporting, rain, accidents, etc, I will not refund any monies once these books are out of my sight. Please arrange for pickup by either yourself or by someone you trust. I will however, ship thru US Mail (air or ground) insured and at your discretion. If you are interested in this collection I highly recommend you make arrangements to see these personally. I do not have the time to send scans of these books to everyone who emails me. With this in mind I am giving full discription and grades on most books. Grades are as follows: #1 is in Near Mint- 9 .2 one light marvle chip on front middle right and few slight spine stress. Back is almost perfect. #2 very fine to near mint, light sheen sun wear on top front. Back side has small 1/4 inch smudge on lettering and very light water stain on bottom center. #3 is CGC graded 8.0 (off-white pages) #4 fine to very fine with 6 spine stress lines and a few very small wrinkles on front cover. #5 CGC graded 9.0 (off white to white pages) #6 fine+ sub crease on middle, 3/8 tear on back page left center, 12 spine cracks, stress marks on bottom right cover, one character was outlined with a ball point pen by someone. This is the only copy which I would want to replace if I where to keep this collection. #7 CGC 9.0 (off white pages). #8 very fine- few stress marks on spine, #9 CGC graded 9.0 (cream to off white pages) #10 (very fine, beautiful solid purple background). #11 very fine- due to marvle chipping on spine., #12 very fine minus, date stamp on front middle cover, one marvle chip on top cover, #13 very fine to near mint, georgeous color. #14 near mint- (high gloss), date stamp middle front cover, #15 very fine to near mint, (high gloss). #16 very fine to near mint plus, small date stamp on top cover, (georgeous color). very nice. #17 near mint possible 9.4. very, very, minor marvle chipping on top which is about 1/16 inch. (Beautiful copy). (Send this one in for a CGC grading when you get it). #18 very fine to near mint. very slight crease on top right cover. You can only see it at certain angle. #19 very fine+ only because upper staple has slight rust. #20 near mint very nice copy. #21 very fine to near mint-(high gloss). #22 near mint minus, top cover has small print smudge. #23 very fine minus, one small marvle chip on top cover and one on lower left corner. #24 very fine minus, 3 minor spine creases. #25 very fine to near mint, very light water spot less than a 1/4 inch. high from bottom cover up. #26 very fine to near mint, marvle chipping on bottom left cover. #27 near mint+ possible 9.4, (solid yellow background). #28 near mint possible 9.4 beautiful red color. #29 near mint plus 9.4 (very bright red color). #30 near mint, (gorgeous black background). #31 near mint 9.4 small nip on lower left cover. If not for nip it would be a 9.6. #32 very fine plus, #33 very fine, small warping on spine center front. #34 near mint-very nice appeal. #35 very fine to near mint, beautiful color-nice #36 very fine minus, #37 near mint minus with slight spine roll. Top right cover small nip. #38 near mint possible 9.4 (very high gloss). #39 near mint easy 9.4 (beautiful high gloss color), #40 9.6 near mint plus copy, (this one is absolutely gorgeous). (It will bring in a very high CGC grade). Copies #41 thru #155 are in very fine to near mint or better. There is no sense in wasting any time on thier description. You will find many 9.2 and 9.4 or better. #156 thru #380 are exceptionally gorgeous. You will get no lower than 9.2's. Look forward to finding mostly 9.4's, 9.6s and 9.8s. This collection is AMAZING!!!!!! I am very confident you will be satisfied with this wonderful collection. I really hate to see this rare collection go, my loss will be your gain. Get them now that they are still affordable.

To make it simple, send in anything you think will get a VF/NM 9.0 or higher IF you're looking to sell.

If they're just for you, I'd keep them as is.

Or to make it even simpler, do this:

CGC #s1-3 in FN or better, #4-17 in VF or better, #18-50 in NM or better, and #81 & 131 in VF or better. #100, 132, 138, 158, 159, 163, 168, & 183 in NM or better. There ya go!

Well other than this collection, I do not have any high dollar comics. So putting the $40 and above comics in slabs will safely last the years til the time is right, weather it be 10-100 years. Pass them down in the family. Eventually they will be worth something.

Trimming makes the comic look better, but it ruins the value. If the guy you bought this from was buying CGC books, then he very likely knows that the #1 was probably worth all by itself what you likely paid for the entire lot. Based upon the relatively low price of the lot assuming that Daredevil #1 was unrestored and in the grade he described it at, I suspected that the book was restored and the seller knew it. However, this is total conjecture, I could be totally wrong, and I wish you the best of luck on the grading. Like you said, you'll find out when you get it back; CGC will give it the purple-top "Restored" grade and tell you what work has been done to it, if any. How much did you get the whole lot for, anyway?

Bonds is right...submitting a book for slabbing listed at $40 in Overstreet doesn't make sense unless you think it'll hit 9.4 or above. And it doesn't sound like you've had enough experience with how CGC grades yet to determine what will and what won't hit 9.4. I'd suggest looking at a bunch of slabs before you decide to send another batch in.

You can store your books just as safely in Mylar. The only storage difference between Mylar and the CGC case is that the case is harder; but if you keep the mylar'ed books in a box and away from fumbling fingers, there shouldn't be any problems. Some people have the fallacious notion that the CGC case protects comics from the elements...this isn't the case. High humidity, temperature, and light exposure can still lower the grade of a comic while inside of a CGC slab. If you doubt that, try reading the back of the CGC label! They warn you that the slab doesn't protect the book from the elements on that back label.