• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Hero for Hire #15

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and to collecting older comics. I want to try and learn how accurately judge/grade comics. Any and all comments welcomed and appreciated. This is my first bronze age comic. Hero for Hire #15, I bought it on ebay for $28. What grade is it in your opinion?

Overall front shot, the color and shine/gloss looks very good, I'm very happy with that aspect about this comic.

IMG_1663.jpg

Bottom Left Front, just a little bit of color (green) doesn't make it all the way to the edge, also very slight crease+color loss at the bottom of the staple

IMG_1659.jpg

Top Left Front

IMG_1660.jpg

Top Right Front, its hard to see but there's a little bit of yellow stain to the right and right top of the O. You can see the ink on the other side a little more easy through that stain, it kinda bugs me

IMG_1661.jpg

Bottom Right Front, little blurry but isn't really hiding any defects

IMG_1662.jpg

Bottom Half Back, there's some clear yellowing within the paragraph of text, also some dirt/grime is present above that paragraph in the clear space between it and the text above it

IMG_1665.jpg

Top Half Back, there's a little dirt/grime present by the spine

IMG_1666.jpg

Closer shots of all the dirt/grime on the back

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

Back Spine, couple indents present. Actually, I think those just happened right now when I was taking the pictures, I picked it up a bit wierd

IMG_1672.jpg

Front Spine, numerous indents present, none major tho

IMG_1673.jpg

Thanks for looking.

*oh, also I know that cgc doesn't consider dry cleaning a form of restoration. Would dry clean take out that dirt grime type stuff on the back? Is there any way to fix any of the yellow staining without "restoration"?

Thanks for the replies guys, yea I really like this cover too, definitely caught my eye when I saw it.

Why is it tough to grade based on these pictures? Is it just pictures in general, or should I be doing something else in order to give a more accurate/clearer picture of the comics?

Anyways, you know, I don't really know if its a stain, or what it is really. Here's a couple more pics showing what I'm talking about, its almost as though its like yellowing throughout part of the cover. Somehow, this lighting or this angle REALLY makes the yellowing apparent

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

Its weird, cuz in the earlier pics I showed its almost invisible. In these ones it looks blatant. In reality, the part that you can actually see is the part outside of the lettering, where there seems to be a clear distinction between the yellow vs the white. I actually didn't even realize it was yellowish between the lettering until I took these pics. Is this just a natural process of white covers?

hah, lil bit sugar, lil bit spice, feel me

na, not from ny, why do you ask?

k, lemme see if this is better. These pics are hella big in my photobucket but for some reason when I add the image in here its all small.

front cover

If by you mean the camera's , well, then there's not much I can do about that I guess. its my iphone4, its all i got.

hah, lil bit sugar, lil bit spice, feel me

na, not from ny, why do you ask?

k, lemme see if this is better. These pics are hella big in my photobucket but for some reason when I add the image in here its all small.

front cover

If by you mean the camera's , well, then there's not much I can do about that I guess. its my iphone4, its all i got.

I thought to myself.I said,self I said.Only in New York could you have such a sheity view from your apt. window. lol