• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel pre-hero JIM ST TOS TTA all sold and closed

23 posts in this topic

Here are a few lower grade but still highly collectible Marvel pre-hero books from the four main titles (namely those that spawned heroes).

First to post :takeit: in the public thread wins over any ongoing PM negotiations. A purchase via PM is a purchase, and timestamp determines the new owner of the book.

PMed offers are welcome, especially for package deals.

Shipping will be charged at cost within the US or internationally. Shipping needs to be via some trackable method, and my preference is priority mail within and outside the US. Either well-protected flat rate envelope or a box are options to consider.

I've done my best to describe every defect on these books, but returns are accepted on any raw book if you are not satisfied. Return shipping is on the buyer, but if I missed something egregious then return shipping will be on me as well.

Paypal, checks (which will clear) or MOs accepted from US customers. Paypal only if you are outside the US.

Journey Into Mystery #76 (12 cent version) G -- asking $25 + shipping

For whatever reason, this book seems slightly less common than the blacked out price variant. Maybe it is just me. Book is complete, readable, and both cover and centerfold are attached at both staples. General wear to front cover, and 3/8” spine split at bottom spine. More significant wear is to back cover, with a 2” tear across “Spittin’ Image”, a long crease at the lower left corner with a 1” tear at the bottom, and some staining. Staining does not affect the pages or the art. Latest OSPG says $27 for Good 2.0.

JIM76.jpg

JIM76bc.jpg

Strange Tales #93 G/VG -- asking $39 + shipping

Solid book with general light wear to front cover but heavier creasing to back cover. Cover attached at both staples, centerfold detached at lower staple but attached at upper. Nice eye appeal for a lower grade book. OSPG VG is $45.

ST93.jpg

ST93bc.jpg

Strange Tales #95 G/VG -- asking $40 + shipping

Solid lower grade copy, cover and centerfold attached at both staples. Perfectly centered, no spine roll at all, book lays totally flat. The lower left front cover looks as though there may have been some encounter with moisture at some point due to the characteristic flaked appearance of the edge, but this is comparatively minor and there is no real staining inside the covers. Color and gloss are nice. PQ is probably Cream to Off-White, but pages are still quite supple. There is a small tear at the lower hole of the upper staple on the back cover, but structurally staple is still sound. Otherwise wear is basically very minor edge chips, a couple of short edge tears, and the visible spine wear. A great copy for someone on a budget or who doesn't mind well presenting lower grade books that look good in a mylar. OSPG VG on this book is $45.

ST95.jpg

ST95bc.jpg

Strange Tales #100 VG++ -- asking $50 + shipping :news: SOLD

Nice looking book, main defects are spine and top edge wear with a minor chip at the top edge. Cover and centerfold firmly attached at both staples. OSPG VG is $45, Fine is $63.

ST100.jpg

ST100bc.jpg

Tales of Suspense #38 VG -- asking $55 + shipping

Solid book, creasing in upper right corner of front cover, light spine wear, bit of distributor ink staining on bottom of back cover that does not affect inside cover or pages. Latest OSPG prices VG at $60.

TOS38.jpg

TOS38bc.jpg

Tales to Astonish #11 G/G+ -- asking $40 + shipping

Tough book! This copy is complete, cover and centerfold are attached at both staples. Minor chipping at top edge that is fairly typical on this sort of book. Some tanning to the inside cover but the page quality is actually pretty nice. Latest OSPG prices 2.0 at $36.

TTA11.jpg

TTA11bc.jpg

Tales to Astonish #14 G -- asking $35 + shipping

Another book you don't see every day. Book is complete, cover and centerfold attached at both staples (cover a bit more tentatively). Piece out of upper back cover, some writing and light staining to inside of back cover, does not affect any art. Latest OSPG prices 2.0 at $36.

TTA14.jpg

TTA14bc.jpg

Tales to Astonish #21 VG minus -- asking $55 + shipping

Hulk prototype! This copy is complete, cover and centerfold well attached at both staples. General wear, 2.5” bend in lower right corner. Latest OSPG prices VG at $74.

TTA21.jpg

TTA21bc.jpg

Tales to Astonish #26 VG (looks better) -- asking $65 + shipping :news: SOLD via PM

Very clean copy that I've owned for probably 20+ years. It has recently been upgraded. Fresh looking book with nice color and whites. Light spine wear. Most wear is on back cover, with some corner creasing and some light oxidation on the staples (which are located on back). Pages look white to me, just beautiful, but at worst they are OW-W. Back cover scanned in mylite, hence the reflection towards the bottom edge. Latest OSPG prices VG at $60.

TTA26.jpg

TTA26bc.jpg

Tales to Astonish #31 G -- asking $29 + shipping

Book is complete, with cover and centerfold attached at both staples. General wear, clean 3” tear on upper right FC through the bottom of the title, triangle out of lower left back cover, minor paper loss (probably a tape pull) in bottom center back cover. Solid, attractive lower grade book. Latest OSPG has Good 2.0 priced at $30.

TTA31.jpg

TTA31bc.jpg