• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-discovering your personal collection...

29 posts in this topic

The continuity is dead and buried since the early (in some cases mid) 1990s, so hold on tight all the Marvel Age books for your children and warn them they won’t find Spider-Man in the neighborhood when they grow up. lol

I used the therm continuity as a synonim to keep on passing the love for the medium to the next generation... oh my english :tonofbricks:

As a father i think one of the corner stones of my responsability is to show and share with my kids the best a human being can produce, either be Stan Lee, Frazetta, William Blake, Jim Henson, Fellini or Bruce Springsteen. :grin:

To show, let them discover and chose whatever they prefer. But in the end there's the responsability to bring to them the best...

regards

Well, you were with your wife, it makes a world of difference – but I’m sure it was a lot of work to get accustomed to another country, even if it’s France and not some far away land. :)

I started collecting them in 1989. In the second half of the eighties the continuity was stronger than ever. Things like the Official Handbook of Marvel Universe, the maturity attained, was something awesome. All the Marvel Age felt as an unified whole. I am not sure I would have enjoyed books at the time you restarted: I did not like Jenkins at all on Hulk (I have read a few), and Quesada, although I did not read his Daredevil I have seen his work as an editor… :sick:

Hellboy is great, I am not familiar with Astro City but Busiek is quite a good writer. I liked his Arrowsmith. The art is a "hit and miss", but that’s a secondary problem, IMO.

The continuity is dead and buried since the early (in some cases mid) 1990s, so hold on tight all the Marvel Age books for your children and warn them they won’t find Spider-Man in the neighborhood when they grow up. lol

I used the therm continuity as a synonim to keep on passing the love for the medium to the next generation... oh my english :tonofbricks:

But that is right – it’s precisely what "continuity", correctly experienced, means, not only in real life but in works of fiction too.

And the Marvel Age, in its three decades and more, had been a unique experience in that, rarely seen before, and worth to cherish. ;)

Well, you were with your wife, it makes a world of difference – but I’m sure it was a lot of work to get accustomed to another country, even if it’s France and not some far away land. :)

I started collecting them in 1989. In the second half of the eighties the continuity was stronger than ever. Things like the Official Handbook of Marvel Universe, the maturity attained, was something awesome. All the Marvel Age felt as an unified whole. I am not sure I would have enjoyed books at the time you restarted: I did not like Jenkins at all on Hulk (I have read a few), and Quesada, although I did not read his Daredevil I have seen his work as an editor… :sick:

Hellboy is great, I am not familiar with Astro City but Busiek is quite a good writer. I liked his Arrowsmith. The art is a "hit and miss", but that’s a secondary problem, IMO.

Regarding the marvel handbook, we had in the brazilian editions something really special. During a certain time period, at the end of the comics there was a single special page of what i called "the marvel dictionairy", an alphabetical compendium of the majority of the characters in the marvel universe. I used to cut that page of and glued them with the following pages that would come out, to make a single special book in the end.

Great memories

I remeber looking at some of the stuff that was being done in the early 90's and feeling a rather repulsive visual reaction at the art. Still today i can hardly look at all the image stuff... very far from what Perez, Buscema and Steranko got us used to look at.

Regarding the brazilian editions, they were small format with 3 or 4 stories together, sometimes they would print stuff from the silver age, so it was a great way of discovering the masters.

regards

Sure, the art was more than often bad in the early 1990s…

So no Portuguese edition exists? I seemed to get Brazilian portuguese is a bit different from the native one (as a language).

If memory serves me well, in the late 90's the Portuguese publishers started to translate and print in an original format new Portuguese editions

The Pportuguese from Brazil is slightly different from the Pportuguese.

One cool story i can share (and that it still amazes me nowadays) regarding the different "portuguese languages".

In the early days of my school years i was reading, devouring and collecting comics (brazilian editions). Slowly i started writing a lot in a "brazilian mode", which made me produce an important number of gramatical/ phrase construction erros. Sso one day my mother took all my comics collection and hide them away somewhere in the house (keep in mind we are talkin about a 3 floors house for an 8 year old kid). I looked verywhere and didn't find them.

A couple weeks passed on and i was rather eagger to see them again, but was never able to find them.

One night (maybe it was already early morning) i dreamed that i would go to a specific location of the house, opened up certain drawers and found them. A dream of course.

But when i got up, still with the dream/ images in my head i went directlly to the attic (we were afraid to go there) and entered on a room, opened up the drawers and there they were!!! Everyone of them. I still have in mind the covers of the comics that were in the upper pile.

What still gives me the chills is that exactly as in the dream, (i have a rather good photographic/ visual memory) the window was opened up slightly, letting a corridor of light of the same angle/ degree... doh!

As if i was entering on a film i already saw...

Real story, which gives a certain super power dimension to a comics fan.

regards

Boy those days of going to the corner store with the spinner rack and browsing thru the comics-nothing like it.

Boy those days of going to the corner store with the spinner rack and browsing thru the comics-nothing like it.

Kav, when did you started to read them as a kid? Late 1960s? 1970s?

I started late, in 1979, but even with the italian editions it was a thrill when you found remaindered copies, often sold as "bags".

These were early ones (I never saw them) – later ones were polybagged.

http://curiosando708090.altervista.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/BUSTA-CORNO.jpg

I remember seeing for the first time the dark phoenix saga on a tri comics bag. It was during the summer holidays and i didn't rest until my parents bought them...

I read them in one full time and was veyr impressed by all the "layers" that the story had.

When you were a kid were you able to read at a "slowler" pace or you devoured the text to know what was going to happen (by missing the art almost completly in the first reading)?

Usually i would read rapidely and would come back 2 or 3 times to savour again the story and the art.

How were you able to "finance" as a kid your comics passion?

regards