• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much...

Boards driving pricing bubbles  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Boards driving pricing bubbles

53 posts in this topic

But if ya really want to test the power of the boards pick something like youngblood #1-if that can get heated up then we reign supreme and pulls the strings behind the string pullers.

This board has *some* influence on the general market. What percentage that *some* is will always be impossible to nail down, and it is different for different books.

Without CGC, Batman #227 would be the same worthless book that #226 and #228 still are. For the vast majority of its existence, the book was worth nothing more than surrounding issues, because there was nothing "special" about it.

It is an homage cover that isn't any better or worse than, say, House of Secrets #90, or #88, or Tomahawk #116 (terribly underrated, by the way), or many other classics.

But, since CGC, the book has become a "major key", and based solely on the strength of its cover art.

This board probably carries more weight than any other board, but what that weight is, is really anyone's guess. It's not 0%, but it's certainly not a great percentage, either.

I've even seen hot moderns hyped here (and pretty much only here, like foreign Walking Dead comics) listed on Esty with the same exact hype talk in the listing.

As a test I mentioned in one of my postings here that Star Wars 2 was the first appearance of Han Solo. I've never seen Star Wars 2 with that in the listing, ever. Sure enough, within days, Star Wars 2 was listed on eBay as having Han Solo's first appearance.

I think these boards have a huge influence on the speculation that is going on.

Now for my evidence. In this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7971269&fpart=4

I posted the following on 09/09/2014:

Star Wars 1 - first Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, R2-D2, and C3-PO

Star Wars 2 - first Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, and Chewbacca

Then I see this auction this past week:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Marvel-Comics-Star-Wars-2-1977-1st-print-first-han-solo-near-mint-rare-/331332508621?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4d24f4dbcd

Now, it's possible that someone else realized that Star Wars 2 is the 1st appearance of Han Solo in comics. I have never seen anyone, ever, refer to Star Wars 2 as the 1st appearance of Han Solo in comics. The coincidence is uncanny.

If you look at the sellers other books, they do seem to be following current trends and I have to believe the information was picked up on these boards. Maybe it is a boardie, maybe not.

I think many boardies are also members of other boards and relay info to other collectors. I think many boardies read a post about an interesting book, and immediately go to ebay, mycomicshop, milehighcomics.com, Atomic Avenue, Worldwide comics, CLink, CC, etc to see if there's one they can pick up cheap, just in case. This causes a blip on the radar of the ebay watchers in the Modern, Copper, and Bronze "heating up on ebay" threads, which restarts the cycle. Now the dealers who are on the boards raise their prices, then the dealers who are not on the boards note the increases and raise their prices.

I think there does have to actually be a reason for the increase, because once a book gets above a few bucks many of us won't roll the dice. But, say, Fantastic Four Annual 6, for example, could be a good candidate for an upward push.

I think many boardies are also members of other boards and relay info to other collectors. I think many boardies read a post about an interesting book, and immediately go to ebay, mycomicshop, milehighcomics.com, Atomic Avenue, Worldwide comics, CLink, CC, etc to see if there's one they can pick up cheap, just in case. This causes a blip on the radar of the ebay watchers in the Modern, Copper, and Bronze "heating up on ebay" threads, which restarts the cycle. Now the dealers who are on the boards raise their prices, then the dealers who are not on the boards note the increases and raise their prices.

I think there does have to actually be a reason for the increase, because once a book gets above a few bucks many of us won't roll the dice. But, say, Fantastic Four Annual 6, for example, could be a good candidate for an upward push.

FF Annual 6 hm

Trying to start some speculation in the speculation thread?