• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books that should be made into comics, but never will be

44 posts in this topic

Lots of them. I'd like to see a "Tales of the Ringworld" since it's so huge with so many world-models and races at different levels of technology and civilization, it could be like Star Trek but all on one structure. "The Illuminati Trilogy" could be awesome. And that one artist (can't place the name, he did The Corinthian mini, El Diablo mini) has such a cool charcoal style it could be nicely used for some Gothic horror. I imagine he could do "Turn of the Screw" very effectively, or Richard Brautigan's "Hawkline Monster." Gormenghast. Gore Vidal's "Duluth" has a lot of the same tone as Grant Morrison's less coherent stuff.

Wilson and Shea's Illuminatus! Trilogy was adapted into a comic book back in the 90's, although the small press company that put it out only released 3 issues... That's my favorite book, by the way. Mile High Comics has all 3 available for cheap:

41944952178.1.gif

Chronicles of Thomas Covenant! At least the first trilogy thumbsup2.gif

For non-sci-fi/fantasy, how about Confederacy of Dunces? One of the greatest books I have ever read and it is also on the 1st(?) page of Transmetropolitain.

A few more books that'll never be made into comics:

1. Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce. Good luck. Ulysses would be CAKE compared to this.

2. The Qur'an. Would the death threats really be worth it? Although, I have a feeling someone somewhere already adapted it. Anyone know?

3. Forever by Judy Blume. No friggin way. Can you imagine the Classics Illustrated edition?

4. Being and Nothingness by John Paul Sartre... Just SCREAMING for the sequential art treatment!

5. Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. This would be difficult as well.