• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

European board sellers...

44 posts in this topic

I had to learn French when I moved here some 24 years ago. I'm German.

Now you can expect detailed question on the german comics scene, aside from the french one. Not that it’s as much lively but I have yet to pinpoint what was there in the 1930s and 1940s. :D

Have you ever seen the Vica comics and other stuff published in France during the occupation? There is fascinating material… :)

There's a cheap reprint available, it's around 26€. Calvo actually drew the book during the occupation and it was first published a few month after the liberation. He worked on the book for around 5 years.

Here are a few pages:

69620410.jpg

A61602_01.jpg

calvo-small.jpg

@gaz: I posted some of this kind of material in this thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7526016&Board=15

I knew them quite well… problem is I don’t like reprints. More or less the originals are "affordable" so I could think about them but there are other things which interest me more.

For example, I would favor some Spirou year runs from 1943-44 over the Bête books, or some other scarcer works by Calvo. :)

They are pretty expensive anyway…

@gaz: I posted some of this kind of material in this thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7526016&Board=15

I knew them quite well… problem is I don’t like reprints. More or less the originals are "affordable" so I could think about them but there are other things which interest me more.

For example, I would favor some Spirou year runs from 1943-44 over the Bête books, or some other scarcer works by Calvo. :)

They are pretty expensive anyway…

I buy a lot of reprints since I can't buy all the originals. That allows me to read more good stuff and discover new artists all the time. If I really like something I try go for the original edition.

I really like Spirou magazine from the late 40's on. A lot of great artists worked for it back then: Franquin (one of the top 5 comic book artists IMO), Jijé, Morris...

It took really off in the late 50's and 60's when Franquins best Spirou and Fantasio stories were published in it, Tillieux started Gil Jourdan, Peyo started the Smurfs and so on.

I mentioned the 1943 and 1944 year runs because they are related to the war climate (and thus to my interest/research) and because Franquin's still was still developing, and getting mature. I love the richness of a style when is developing.

I really have little knowledge of Spirou as a character, but I love the earlier years… :)

Of course. I read Spirou magazine and immediately jumped to the stuff I appreciate the most in it.

You should take a look at Franquin's Spirou from 57 to 66. It's the best period. The stories and art are amazing.