• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VALIANT NEXT

50 posts in this topic

Would be way more interested at the 2.99 price point. I love Kindt and Lemire, however I'd rather buy their creator owned work. I would honestly like to be excited but that price point kills it for me.

If it makes a difference, the new Ninjak will have an extra 8-page backup story for no additional cost.

I don't like the use of backup stories to justify cost. DC infuriated me with those "B" stories of characters that couldn't support their own series with "D" talent.

Valiant delivered on many promises, but failed in enough of them to make the 3.99 price point a deal breaker. Enjoyed Harbinger and X-O manowar for quite a run, and Rai looked excellent. Looks like I'll be waiting for comixology 99cent sales for these series.

Or you can wait for the next Hubble Bubble deal and pick them up for $0.10 each. :)

I'm going to guess that that's not going to be a regular thing. Or at least, it's not going to be a regular thing that makes everything new available. Seems to me to be intended to be a good entry point for new readers (and it is).

Would be way more interested at the 2.99 price point. I love Kindt and Lemire, however I'd rather buy their creator owned work. I would honestly like to be excited but that price point kills it for me.

If it makes a difference, the new Ninjak will have an extra 8-page backup story for no additional cost.

I don't like the use of backup stories to justify cost. DC infuriated me with those "B" stories of characters that couldn't support their own series with "D" talent.

Valiant delivered on many promises, but failed in enough of them to make the 3.99 price point a deal breaker. Enjoyed Harbinger and X-O manowar for quite a run, and Rai looked excellent. Looks like I'll be waiting for comixology 99cent sales for these series.

Or you can wait for the next Hubble Bubble deal and pick them up for $0.10 each. :)

tumblr_ms0ah8XddV1swp729o1_500.gif

Anyone else feel the new Valiant is spreading themselves too thin at the moment? Lot of series out there when they should have focused on a small core of books.

Too thin? They haven't increased the numbers of books they're publishing each month. True, there's been more of a mix of titles recently, but the way I see it they're not continuing series just for the sole purpose of continuing them. They have a story to tell, they tell it, and then they move on. I loved Fred Van Lente's run on Archer & Armstrong. But if you read the series you'd see that it reached it's natural conclusion. I'd rather not see FVL stretch to tell stories he wants to tell with those characters if he has something interesting to tell with another. (Or if a different writer has an interesting story to tell with a different character.) Granted I haven't loved everything Valiant has out out, but I think overall they're committed to producing quality books, and their output overall shows that.

Damn you guys are cheap, $3.99? Ya compared to trades it seems high, but go do a regression on inflation of comics from the 90s and you'll see it's a lot less.

When there are so many good $2.99 books to read, why would I read $3.99 books? My time is more finite than my wallet, so when I have to make cuts the higher price gets the Axe.

Damn you guys are cheap, $3.99? Ya compared to trades it seems high, but go do a regression on inflation of comics from the 90s and you'll see it's a lot less.

When there are so many good $2.99 books to read, why would I read $3.99 books? My time is more finite than my wallet, so when I have to make cuts the higher price gets the Axe.

I read roughly 140 titles a month. I assure you there is not very many 2.99 books that are better than much of what Valiant puts out there these days.

Do you pre-order or read trades? Good way to save money there especially if you pre-order the trades.

Every Valiant book is at least (and often more than) 22 pages of story. This coming as others are dropping to 20 or less pages.

Ninjak is 30 pages. 8 pages are a parallel story told over several issues with a different artist. Very similar to the Barry Windsor-Smith sections in original Valiant Solar. These are not a back up story.

All the ongoing books have 9.99 volume one trades.

Every Valiant book is at least (and often more than) 22 pages of story. This coming as others are dropping to 20 or less pages.

Ninjak is 30 pages. 8 pages are a parallel story told over several issues with a different artist. Very similar to the Barry Windsor-Smith sections in original Valiant Solar. These are not a back up story.

:applause: Nice to hear from VEI's CEO.

:hi: Dino!

Pfft. Like you would know what your talking about :blahblah:

:jokealert:

Pricing sounds very reasonable for ninjak then. As for the "others", they haven't gotten my money for some time due to poor practices like you mentioned.

I was on board with many Valiant titles until around the start of armor wars. Part of my decision to stop was definitely pricing, regardless of page count. Also of concern for me was the event book tie ins. It may be a popular thing with the big 2, but its a big turn off for me.

However getting Kindt and Lemire in the mix may have me scope things out again. And I have to say, PR wise you all are as good as it gets when it comes to Capes books.

I wonder if these will blow up like they did in the 90s going for crazy prices and then after a few years only be worth less then its cover price?

i had the original rai, XO Manowar, Ninjak Solar, etc... the only one that was not too bad reading material was the Ninjak, the cover was beautiful but once again come back to a few months back as i checked the value on ALL of them. they weren't worth jack.

If you had Rai 3 through 5, X-O Manowar 1 or 4, or Solar 10... you'd have more than jack.

My guess is... you don't. :foryou:

Ninjak was far too late to be part of the "crazy prices" that Valiant went for in the '90s.

By the time Ninjak came along, the Valiant books they were producing were already on their way down.

Sounds like you never read the actual "good stuff". Could be a fun thing to check out now since you missed it the first time. hm

... and a lot of guys who have read the first two years of "old" Valiant and the first two years of "new" Valiant are pretty satisfied with both. (thumbs u

i had RAI 0, 2 issues of XO Man O War, a 3-D issue of solar, Ninjak # 1, and Magnus VS Predator... which was a collabo between Valiant and Dark Horse...

i thought XO wasn't too bad, i thought Ninjak was decent with excellent art. never the less all those titles from the 90s did not climb up in value what so ever... they did however make it to the bargain bin in every comic shop through out the U.S.

I wonder if these will blow up like they did in the 90s going for crazy prices and then after a few years only be worth less then its cover price?

i had the original rai, XO Manowar, Ninjak Solar, etc... the only one that was not too bad reading material was the Ninjak, the cover was beautiful but once again come back to a few months back as i checked the value on ALL of them. they weren't worth jack.

If you had Rai 3 through 5, X-O Manowar 1 or 4, or Solar 10... you'd have more than jack.

Ninjak was far too late to be part of the "crazy prices" that Valiant went for in the '90s.

By the time Ninjak came along, the Valiant books they were producing were already on their way down.

Sounds like you never read the actual "good stuff". Could be a fun thing to check out now since you missed it the first time. hm

... and a lot of guys who have read the first two years of "old" Valiant and the first two years of "new" Valiant are pretty satisfied with both. (thumbs u

i had RAI 0, 2 issues of XO Man O War, a 3-D issue of solar, Ninjak # 1, and Magnus VS Predator... which was a collabo between Valiant and Dark Horse...

i thought XO wasn't too bad, i thought Ninjak was decent with excellent art. never the less all those titles from the 90s did not climb up in value what so ever... they did however make it to the bargain bin in every comic shop through out the U.S.

You mean like 95% of all other comics from that time era? If preunities were dumped in 50 cent bins, they would be scooped up by the VF guys like myself over the years.

Pfft. Like you would know what your talking about :blahblah:

:jokealert:

lol

You mean like 95% of all other comics from that time era? If preunities were dumped in 50 cent bins, they would be scooped up by the VF guys like myself over the years.

true... but at the same point, look what came out from the 90s that are high dollar books now. new mutants #98, batman adventures #12. both from 92-93 time frame and both are fetching big bucks even with a mess grade.

Hell i myself was about to toss out BA#12 UNTIL i found out what is was going for. Valiant on the other were "hot" at one time and now like i said go to your local comic shop or ebay and you see these things are just sitting collecting dust. no one wants them.

If your a fan more power to you, everyone likes something different. i don't see myself buying anything from their company anytime soon.

true... but at the same point, look what came out from the 90s that are high dollar books now. new mutants #98, batman adventures #12. both from 92-93 time frame and both are fetching big bucks even with a mess grade.

Hell i myself was about to toss out BA#12 UNTIL i found out what is was going for. Valiant on the other were "hot" at one time and now like i said go to your local comic shop or ebay and you see these things are just sitting collecting dust. no one wants them.

If your a fan more power to you, everyone likes something different. i don't see myself buying anything from their company anytime soon.

So, are you only into comics because they are "valuable"? You don't have any appreciate for any comic regardless of the value? Why do you even collect comics if all that matters is how much they are worth?

So, are you only into comics because they are "valuable"? You don't have any appreciate for any comic regardless of the value? Why do you even collect comics if all that matters is how much they are worth?

Exactly. Sounds like your run-of-the-mill speculator; they feel the comic 'owes' them something.

Let's be realistic.... Not everyone is in comics because of the monetary value of them, but it is nice to know that whatever it is your investing in them MIGHT be worth something down the line.....

I have close to 4 long boxes of comics from back in the day from when i used to collect when i was a youngster. and majority of them were Marvel and DC. however as i said for the 3rd time in this thread. It's just sad that at that point in time Wizard magazine claimed these were "THE" comics to have. you fast forward to today and they aren't worth mess..... not only were they taking up space in one of my boxes, but they weren't worth the few dollars a cover to collect.

I'm not making trying to make a flame war on here but at the same time i wouldb't waste another dime on them. Hell, i didn't even bother picking up the FREEBY vailant comic that was available this past weekend, because quite frankly i don't think its worth it nor is the stories they make worth it as well.

Let's be realistic.... Not everyone is in comics because of the monetary value of them, but it is nice to know that whatever it is your investing in them MIGHT be worth something down the line.....

I have close to 4 long boxes of comics from back in the day from when i used to collect when i was a youngster. and majority of them were Marvel and DC. however as i said for the 3rd time in this thread. It's just sad that at that point in time Wizard magazine claimed these were "THE" comics to have. you fast forward to today and they aren't worth mess..... not only were they taking up space in one of my boxes, but they weren't worth the few dollars a cover to collect.

I'm not making trying to make a flame war on here but at the same time i wouldb't waste another dime on them. Hell, i didn't even bother picking up the FREEBY vailant comic that was available this past weekend, because quite frankly i don't think its worth it nor is the stories they make worth it as well.

So, you are preoccupied with the value of the comics. So, basically, you were a lemming who followed everything Wizard wrote and bought the Valiant comics because you were hoping they were going to be hot forever. Did you read them? Did you enjoy the stories? If not I feel sorry for you. Quit buying what everyone is telling you to buy and buy what you like. The value should be in the stories, not in how much you are able to flip the book for later on down the line. Most of today's hot comics are going to follow the same exact trajectory that the Valiant comics of the 80s followed, hence the age old phrase "buy what you like".

Also, why the need to in this thread which was not about the value of Valiant comics?