• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venus #19 CGC 8.5 SOLD

80 posts in this topic

Michael..... I know you're a grown man and Captain of your own destiny and all that neat *spoon* ...... but do you REALLY think you should sell this ? Let a brother talk you off the ledge ..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If I could have ten specific books with the stip that I would never sell.... this copy would be one of them.... what a true feather in the cap.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

While we are all ogling this rare beauty, can you relate any back history about this book and how you came to acquire it? hm

Sure thing Jayman. I've told the story before but not everyone frequents Gold Forum so happy to oblige. I never tire of telling it!

Before Ebay, collectors in the UK mainly relied on catalogs from US dealers like Jim Payette and Worlds Finest. Harley Yee was the only US dealer to make regular appearances at London shows at that time.

One day - I don't recall exactly when but could have been as much as 20 years ago - I decided to call Jim Payette on impulse rather than wait for his 6 monthly catalog.

By then I'd thoroughly assimilated the photojournal, and had an informal list of most wanted books - none of which I'd managed to acquire except my first copy of Crime Does Not Pay #24 - a raw 5.0 from Avalon that cost me all of $180.

Jim was apparently sitting at his desk grading books when I called. I asked him if he had a Dark Mysteries #19, and he said "Sure - I'm grading one right now." I asked him the grade. "Looks about near mint." I asked him the price. "$275".

He then explained he's just taken receipt of an extensive high grade OO collection of PCH.

They were stacked raw, unbagged, in a pile by his desk and he'd just started grading them.

Did he have a Venus #19? "Yes."A Chilling tales #16? "Yes."Menace #4? "Yes." And so on. "Yes." pretty much to every query. Unfortunately - oh the horror - I was fairly strapped for cash at the time, and didn't fully appreciate how difficult such books would turn out to be.

But the modest stash I bought all had super gloss and nice pages. A few had minor "subscription" creases, though more likely the kid who bought them just folded them when he took them home from the drugstore. The Venus #19 cost me $475 - very expensive at the time!

If you have a nice PCH comic with "C" or "Cn" handwritten on the cover, more than likely they are from this collection.

Probably overall not quite worthy of pedigree status by today's standards - but darned close.

Alas, the Venus, DM #19 and Chilling Tales #16 are the only ones I still have...I only got them graded fairly recently.

(Respectfully, please don't pm to ask if the other two are for sale!) But here are the scans for your enjoyment:

ChillingTales1675.jpg

ChillingTales16CGC75_zps1e5efc36.jpg

DarkMysteries19CGC92_zpsec9a15a2.jpg

It was great times before the web when you had to hunt for a book.The end result was stuff like that :whee:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

If you have a nice PCH comic with "C" or "Cn" handwritten on the cover, more than likely they are from this collection.

Flex, thanks for the info. Always fascinating to hear these types of tales. After all these years did you ever get any info on what the C or Cn mean? Cincinnati? (shrug)

Flex, thanks for the info. Always fascinating to hear these types of tales. After all these years did you ever get any info on what the C or Cn mean? Cincinnati? (shrug)

Honestly I have no idea, sorry!