• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venus #19 CGC 8.5 SOLD

80 posts in this topic

While we are all ogling this rare beauty, can you relate any back history about this book and how you came to acquire it? hm

Sure thing Jayman. I've told the story before but not everyone frequents Gold Forum so happy to oblige. I never tire of telling it!

Before Ebay, collectors in the UK mainly relied on catalogs from US dealers like Jim Payette and Worlds Finest. Harley Yee was the only US dealer to make regular appearances at London shows at that time.

One day - I don't recall exactly when but could have been as much as 20 years ago - I decided to call Jim Payette on impulse rather than wait for his 6 monthly catalog.

By then I'd thoroughly assimilated the photojournal, and had an informal list of most wanted books - none of which I'd managed to acquire except my first copy of Crime Does Not Pay #24 - a raw 5.0 from Avalon that cost me all of $180.

Jim was apparently sitting at his desk grading books when I called. I asked him if he had a Dark Mysteries #19, and he said "Sure - I'm grading one right now." I asked him the grade. "Looks about near mint." I asked him the price. "$275".

He then explained he's just taken receipt of an extensive high grade OO collection of PCH.

They were stacked raw, unbagged, in a pile by his desk and he'd just started grading them.

Did he have a Venus #19? "Yes."A Chilling tales #16? "Yes."Menace #4? "Yes." And so on. "Yes." pretty much to every query. Unfortunately - oh the horror - I was fairly strapped for cash at the time, and didn't fully appreciate how difficult such books would turn out to be.

But the modest stash I bought all had super gloss and nice pages. A few had minor "subscription" creases, though more likely the kid who bought them just folded them when he took them home from the drugstore. The Venus #19 cost me $475 - very expensive at the time!

If you have a nice PCH comic with "C" or "Cn" handwritten on the cover, more than likely they are from this collection.

Probably overall not quite worthy of pedigree status by today's standards - but darned close.

Alas, the Venus, DM #19 and Chilling Tales #16 are the only ones I still have...I only got them graded fairly recently.

(Respectfully, please don't pm to ask if the other two are for sale!) But here are the scans for your enjoyment:

ChillingTales1675.jpg

ChillingTales16CGC75_zps1e5efc36.jpg

DarkMysteries19CGC92_zpsec9a15a2.jpg

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing. So many times we look back and wish we had bought everything that was available from a dealer, at a show, at an auction, etc,.. Glad you were able to buy what you did. Imagine if you had waited for the catalogue? Most if not all would have been gone.

The "Mt. Everett" of PCH- must have been an amazing experience upon reaching the summit of the Atlas Mountains!

Nicely turned sentence jonny!

Will leave the book up to breathe a while longer before plan "B" - selling other books! Or plan "C" - a self induced coma!

The "Mt. Everett" of PCH- must have been an amazing experience upon reaching the summit of the Atlas Mountains!

Will leave the book up to breathe a while longer before plan "B" - selling other books! Or plan "C" - a self induced coma!

Go with Plan D, Mike: ship it to me for safe-keeping. When you wake up from your coma :devil: I'll ship it back.

Yer pal,

Jon

Go with Plan D, Mike: ship it to me for safe-keeping. When you wake up from your coma :devil: I'll ship it back.

Yer pal,

Jon

I'll - I'll do it!

Now quickly someone, so as not to let down yer, er, I mean my pal Jon. ! Tell me how do I self-induce a....a.....a.............

...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

Yer pal,

Jon

I'll - I'll do it!

Now quickly someone, so as not to let down yer, er, I mean my pal Jon. ! Tell me how do I self-induce a....a.....a.............

I know where you live... :banana:

Yer pal,

Jon

I'll - I'll do it!

What the - Novosibirsk? I mean -

Darn. :fear:

Yer pal,

Jon

I'll - I'll do it!

You moved again? :insane:

Yer pal,

Jon

I'll - I'll do it!

RWS0056-09_P.JPG

Yer pal,

Jon

I'll - I'll do it!

RWS0056-09_P.JPG

That should help with the page quality.

(thumbs u

RWS0056-09_P.JPG

I could call it the pedigloo collection.

:applause:lol

...and the pages have that delightful scent of burnt Yak dung :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

RWS0056-09_P.JPG

I could call it the pedigloo collection.

:applause:lol

...and the pages have that delightful scent of burnt Yak dung :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I prefer my Yak dung raw, and unsalted. (Some people just have no taste.)