• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saga of the Swamp Thing 21 club - best comic of the early 80s!

49 posts in this topic

My Canadian news stand copy has some funky staples going on lol

Click for high res:

ANm73tdl.jpg

Newstand copies are pretty uncommon I think

On a Feb 84 cover date? Not so much.

so a Cdn newstand one especially so (thumbs u

Of course, Canadian Newsstands are uncommon.

Click for high res:

i.imgur.comm73tdl.jpg

Well, I bought 24 copies randomly without thought to whether they are newstand or direct (I don't care). I took stock when taking the photo for this thread and found that precisely ONE copy is newstand.

They are certainly not rare but quite a bit less common than the direct market ones, from my small sample size. (shrug) I still don't care, but they do seem to represent a small percentage of the print run. I would say 10% or so, maybe less. Cdn newstand I would say less than 1%.

Well, I bought 24 copies randomly without thought to whether they are newstand or direct (I don't care). I took stock when taking the photo for this thread and found that precisely ONE copy is newstand.

??? There are two (out of the six visible) copies in your picture.

??? There are two (out of the six visible) copies in your picture.

I see the one, I can't tell on the back copy.

Maybe you're right, but if so its a miscount on my part and the point is the vast majority of the copies are direct market

Guess I don't have a raw copy. lol At least I don't have to go looking for it.

Was that when I got the DKR from you? That SOST was/is a nice book.

Sorry. Was at a conference the past two days, so limited access.

That's it! I remember that DKR 1 GC 9.6, which was really nice looking.

Click for high res:

i.imgur.comm73tdl.jpg

They are certainly not rare but quite a bit less common than the direct market ones, from my small sample size. (shrug) I still don't care, but they do seem to represent a small percentage of the print run. I would say 10% or so, maybe less. Cdn newstand I would say less than 1%.

I didn't even notice it was a newstand until I got the book home, nice little bonus :)

I didn't get a chance to buy this issue when it came out - the last SotST issues I bought of the rack were 14 and 15. Seems like I never saw the title again after that.

I did, however, get The Best of DC Blue Ribben Digest #61 the following year. It reprints the best stories from '84 and issue #21 is one of them. But even then, As a kid I don't think I read the storie all the way through. For one thing, the narrative boxes are very difficult to read when shrunk down to digest size. Also, I didn't know how Swamp Thing died, who the Floronic Man was, who Sunderland was or why he was so interested in Swamp Thing. I assumed I didn't know enough to follow the story so I gave up on it. Plus, it looked really different than what I was used to.

Of course, when I finally read it years later, I realized you didn't have to read issue #20 to enjoy the story. Now it's one of my all-time favorite stories, right up there with Year One. I also like #55. Overall, the story is decent, but the opening 2 pages where Moore describes the transitory nature of existence and relationships is excellent.

I've actually been looking for a high-grade copy for awhile and only recently had success.

I purchased this off eBay as a "near mint/mint". Looked good in the scans but unfortunately the seller was a poor packer and I received it with a bunch of non-color breaking stresses. I'm having it pressed and slabbed for re-sale, but I think the bottom right corner will keep it from being anything higher than 9.4. Probably won't even break even.

SagaoftheSwampThing21a_zps66b25d70.jpg

Bought a CGC 9.6 but when I got it in hand it looked like a soft grade to me. So still not completely happy.

A couple of weeks later, I found the 2 copies on the left locally. Both are solid 9.6s as they stand. I'll keep one and sub the other for re-sale.

c7ad5fbc-8300-4433-b1b1-9a023fe75d8e_zpsee57f433.jpg

The copy on the right is my 9.0-9.2 reading copy I got off eBay awhile back.