• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Experiment results - comic garage sales.

22 posts in this topic

Someone locally had the creative idea of starting a Facebook group for "Geek Garage Sales". A number of different individuals hosted at their house over the summer, and all were welcome to bring by their own comics, toys etc and a portable table and setup - sort of like a free mini show. I only made it out once with an assortment of toys and comics, sold about $150 worth including blowing out a box of drek for $20. It wasn't a great return, but happy to clear out some stuff, and spent the day hanging out/talking with like minded collectors - so not a bad day.

The traffic was decent as the advertising and local signs worked well, and I see it improving over time as there really is a good variety of stock, and it changes time to time depending on who goes. Most surprising to me was that due to who attended some decent value books actually sold (from other sellers), I only brought the typically dollar bin books and other cheaper "garage sale esque" type items. Some folks sold $20-$30 books and toys, so there were certainly some collectors that came out. I'll make sure to bring that type of stuff when I try again next year.

Great idea. I went to the new "geek" bar in my area this last weekend and we had a blast. They had about 30 old school arcade games that you could play for free as long as you were drinking. They had a great selection of craft beers and all their drinks were names after geek shows or characters. This is the second "geek" bar to open in Cleveland and that other one has its menus printed on the back of backing boards with the comics on the other side in the bag.

GeekBar1_zpsc6b9dfee.jpg

GeekBar2_zps93f2962b.jpg