• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CDC Grading Question

4 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm new to comic book grading. I've been doing a bit of research and I've looked at how they determine what defects cause a comic to get a certain grading from CGC. I have a comic that has 3 sharp corners, but the bottom left corner has a defect. In the picture, the bottom corner of the comic is green but you can see the white from the corner that looks to be a small tear. How much do you think this will affect the grading (image below)? Thanks for your time.

comic

I can't for about a week. I'm on vacation now and posted this from my phone. I just wanted to get this up while I was thinking about it. I was hoping that someone could give me an idea not on the overall grade, but just typically what kind of deduction the white corner like I posted usually brings. It's from a Death of Wolverine Hastings Variant comic. The rest of the comic has perfect sharp corners and no rounded edges, creases, marks, binding wear. Front and back look fine and the only blemish I saw was this small corner, so I grabbed it hoping that it wouldn't drop it more than a scale or 2 at the most.

Kind of depends on if CGC thinks it's a production flaw (bindery tear) or post-production flaw. It would also depend on the overall grade. If the book was a 9.8 without it I would guess that might knock it down to a 9.6 (again assuming they rule it was post production). If it was an 8.0 otherwise I don't think it would affect the grade at all.