• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northland Hulk 1

105 posts in this topic

I think you are confusing the Overstreet Bulletin with journalism....

I brought up the possibility thinking more about the money. When I began writing pedigree articles for CBG a few years ago, the articles became their property once I got paid. I wanted to post the articles on a web site had I ever gone ahead much further with the series, and they said that was fine as long as they were posted only on my own web site and not a public one or one owned by their competitors.

Doug feeds data to GPA, which is a direct competitor of the OCPR. They may have asked him to not report the sale on his own site so they could get a "scoop" on GPA. If he didn't get paid, he may have done it just because Gemstone asked him to. This is just an educated guess...I have no idea why he didn't report the sale on his site. Maybe he just hasn't gotten around to it.

This is just an educated guess...I have no idea why he didn't report the sale on his site. Maybe he just hasn't gotten around to it.

HELLO:

Like I said, it was a TRADE, not a SALE!!!!

He can't report it to GPAnalysis as it was a TRADE, nor should he show a SALE PENDING (with an amount on his site).

He just needs to remove it from the vault.

I think you are confusing the Overstreet Bulletin with journalism....

I brought up the possibility thinking more about the money. When I began writing pedigree articles for CBG a few years ago, the articles became their property once I got paid. I wanted to post the articles on a web site had I ever gone ahead much further with the series, and they said that was fine as long as they were posted only on my own web site and not a public one or one owned by their competitors.

Doug feeds data to GPA, which is a direct competitor of the OCPR. They may have asked him to not report the sale on his own site so they could get a "scoop" on GPA. If he didn't get paid, he may have done it just because Gemstone asked him to. This is just an educated guess...I have no idea why he didn't report the sale on his site. Maybe he just hasn't gotten around to it.

I get it. Sucks about CBG too, but its understandable since Maggie has reminded us all umpteen times that she and Don ARE journalists, with degrees from East Bumstead University even! sorry , they/she just makes me laugh.

As Sfilosa says, iy was a trade and maybe Doug and the other party had different numbers on different books in the trade. But, there WAS a price on the Vault Hulk 4 which I presume was involved in the trade, so who knows?

SOmehow, on Overstreet's mind, I dont think he thinks he HAS any competitors. He has the only annual Guide thats worth a damn; and PGA, in his opinion, is merely an online statistics site, with incomplete stats. Until PGA publishes a monthly magazine they arent true competitors.... but they do work in the same field of selling comics sales information so i see your point.

As Sfilosa says, iy was a trade and maybe Doug and the other party had different numbers on different books in the trade. But, there WAS a price on the Vault Hulk 4 which I presume was involved in the trade, so who knows?

The HULK #1 was a trade.

The rest of the books were SOLD. Those sales were reported to GPAnalysis (the Hulk #4 CGC 9.6 was the Slobodian copy).

Sucks about CBG too, but its understandable since Maggie has reminded us all umpteen times that she and Don ARE journalists, with degrees from East Bumstead University even! sorry , they/she just makes me laugh.

What about the journalistic approach makes you laugh? Is journalism too highbrow a profession to be brought down to the slums of the comic book hobby? tongue.gif

SOmehow, on Overstreet's mind, I dont think he thinks he HAS any competitors.

I agree, but not for the reason you're suggesting. Bob just doesn't seem to be a competitive guy like a Geppi. My take on what I've seen from him in his writing and the direction he's taken the Guide is that he just saw a lack of standards in the hobby and made his contribution. I'm not saying he did it purely for altruistic reasons--the profits, reputation, and opportunities he's gotten I'm sure were part of his motivation as well--but he just doesn't seem like a competitive type of guy like a Geppi. I figured he sold the Guide to Geppi just because it was too much of a hassle to run the publishing part of the business himself, whereas he was just interested in writing about comics.

Like I said, it was a TRADE, not a SALE!!!!

He can't report it to GPAnalysis as it was a TRADE, nor should he show a SALE PENDING (with an amount on his site).

He just needs to remove it from the vault.

Sorry Steve, but Doug and I have done pure trade deals and he's recorded the books that he traded to me as sales on his site (with attributable dollar amount). I don't think there's anything wrong with that, although disclosure that it's not a pure cash deal would be nice. However, no other dealer does that either so I don't think it would be fair to hold Doug to a higher standard.

My guess is if you went back in history and looked at many of the bigger deals in the hobby, lots of them were trade/cash deals, but Overstreet and other pubs simply gave a dollar value to the deals when they reported them.

I do agree that if the book is no longer in Doug's possession or on consignment to sell, then he should remove it from the Vault. Or he should just come on here to clarify.

Sucks about CBG too, but its understandable since Maggie has reminded us all umpteen times that she and Don ARE journalists, with degrees from East Bumstead University even! sorry , they/she just makes me laugh.

What about the journalistic approach makes you laugh? Is journalism too highbrow a profession to be brought down to the slums of the comic book hobby? tongue.gif

no no no, calm down, that was directed at Maggie not you, and certainly not at Journalists. She always makes me laugh when she complains about how hard she works and shouldnt be held to any professional standards cuase she's always out of time etc. Havent you read her editorials all these years? As for her laughable jounalistic credentials, all they do is print press releases NEARLY VERBATIM plus their columnists pieces... I forgot you work for them and shouldnt have expected you to agree with my cynical opinion of Maggie and CBG.

sorry FF. I often overlook my cliebts foibles too when they are paying the bills, even in a meager way like your position with them.

Sorry Steve, but Doug and I have done pure trade deals and he's recorded the books that he traded to me as sales on his site (with attributable dollar amount).

Did he report it to GPAnalysis, or just mention it in this market reports? I really don't like the idea that GPAnalysis would start showing TRADE DEALS as oppose to CASH DEALS.

Basically one could say here's a TOS #39 in CGC 9.4 and it's $100K for someone elses JIM #83 CGC 9.4 for $100K. Yet, neither book would sell anywhere near that in a pure cash transaction.

As I said, if you look at GPAnalysis, all the other Hulks that he sold are listed but the #1 is not.

On the other hand, I do that sometimes people agree to buy a book for a certain price (but want to make time payments). Then during the payments they offer a few books to reduce the cash amount and therefore it's probably OK to consider the book a SALE (as the original deal was for ALL CASH).

Steve, I have no idea whether it showed up in GPA, because I'm not a subscriber, but here are the books so you can check for yourself: Sgt. Fury #4 CGC 9.4 (NOT the Western Penn copy) and Sgt Fury #64 CGC 9.6. The sales of these books definitely did show up on Doug's website.

Steve, I have no idea whether it showed up in GPA, because I'm not a subscriber, but here are the books so you can check for yourself: Sgt. Fury #4 CGC 9.4 (NOT the Western Penn copy) and Sgt Fury #64 CGC 9.6. The sales of these books definitely did show up on Doug's website.

At this time, neither book is showing up on GPAnalysis.

That said, unlike eBay and Heritage where sales show up the next day, Doug and other dealers probably only submit sales once a month.

That said, unlike eBay and Heritage where sales show up the next day, Doug and other dealers probably only submit sales once a month.

The trade took place back in June or July. This is how Doug got all those 9.8 Golden State Sgt Fury's that he sold in his big Fury-fest last month. I guess it's good that they're not showing up in GPA.

That is correct Steve - all dealers send us results once a month, usually near the beginning of the month - Doug is a bit slow (maybe too much holiday pie and beer!) for Dec, so maybe the sales you are talking about have yet to be reported to us - I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm assuming they're Dec sales you're discussing here.

Best

GP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is correct Steve - all dealers send us results once a month, usually near the beginning of the month - Doug is a bit slow (maybe too much holiday pie and beer!) for Dec, so maybe the sales you are talking about have yet to be reported to us - I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm assuming they're Dec sales you're discussing here.

Best

GP

He just moved into his new house about two weeks ago and then had company all last week. I should see him this week and tell him no more slacking!!!!!

It appears that the books we were talking about were probably older than when he started submitting. My real point is I love GPAnalysis' service, but would start to get upset if I knew TRADES were being reported as oppose to straight CASH TRANSACTIONS.

Steve, I am not aware of any trade results being submitted from any of the dealers reporting to us. I certainly know the other dealers only report on sale items. I will verify with Doug next time I speak with him. I'll give him a call in the next few days.

Also, Doug started reporting to us in June - that was a relatively small bundle of sales. It may be some were not reported in that month. Again, I will chat with him and sort it out.

Also, Doug started reporting to us in June - that was a relatively small bundle of sales. It may be some were not reported in that month. Again, I will chat with him and sort it out.

Thanks for clearing up that only CASH SALES should be reported.

I don't think Doug is reporting trades, but the main jist of this post was why HADN'T he REPORTED the Hulk #1 CGC 9.2 Northland copy as a sale on his site. I said because it was a TRADE, and it doesn't appear that he reported it to GPAnalysis either (which is a good thing). thumbsup2.gif

Steve, I'm beginning to wonder if you really know what you are talking about.

A trade is not a sale? Basically when I do cash/trade the books I sell are sold. If the customer wrote a check for $75,000 and Doug paid the buyer $50,000 the same result occurs.

If Doug took $50,000 + $25,000 in cash, the book is sold for $75,000, his cost into the books he's taken in trade are still $50,000. If he sells the books in trade for $40,000 he lost $10,000, does this mean the Hulk #1 only sold for $65,000.

If he sells the trade for $55,000 does that mean the Hulk #1 sold for $80,000?

Or the fact that he put the Pacific Coasts into his collection blur the fact that the Tales to Astonish's he sold were not the Tales to Astonish's he took in trade?

Steve, I'm beginning to wonder if you really know what you are talking about.

A trade is not a sale? Basically when I do cash/trade the books I sell are sold. If the customer wrote a check for $75,000 and Doug paid the buyer $50,000 the same result occurs.

If Doug took $50,000 + $25,000 in cash, the book is sold for $75,000, his cost into the books he's taken in trade are still $50,000. If he sells the books in trade for $40,000 he lost $10,000, does this mean the Hulk #1 only sold for $65,000.

If he sells the trade for $55,000 does that mean the Hulk #1 sold for $80,000?

Or the fact that he put the Pacific Coasts into his collection blur the fact that the Tales to Astonish's he sold were not the Tales to Astonish's he took in trade?

Huh?

1) Doug sold his Tales to Astonish prior to obtaining the Pacific Coast copies. Both transcations were sales. I know Doug received a check for his TTA's.

2) The problem with reporting a TRADE as a SALE (as in reporting to GPAnalysis) is that both parties can agree to value the books at ANY PRICE they want. Yes, I agree that Doug could have made the buyer write a check for $75,000 and then Doug wirtes a check back for $75,000 which would satisfy the CASH transaction. As a CPA, I know that one of the criteria for determining any sale/ trade value is an ARMS LENGTHS TRANSACTION. And trading two items simultaneously would clearly put transcations value into question.

All I'm saying is that I would only like to see sales reported in GPAnalysis that are pure cash sales (and the buyer doesn't just sell books right back to the seller).

If that's not the case, then I would prefer to only see eBay/Heritage/Auction sales which in general are pure cash transactions.