• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northland Hulk 1

105 posts in this topic

well I own that Hulk #1 now, so will have to look for the crease. The front cover is beautiful though. By the way, do you know anyone with a large steamroller or other heavy equipment that could be used to squeeze or straighten, or flatten unsightly wrinkles or .... creases. Not that I would ever think about trying to ratchet up the grades on any particular book by unsavory methods!

The crease is there.

It wouldn't come out if three elephants sat on it

Just for general info, how long is the crease and is it one that real breaks the paper / color as oppose to being a heavy bend?

Since I no longer have it in my possession I cannot comment on how long it is. I definitely know it's not a bend and it won't come out. This book is not a "pressing candidate" unless time travel is invented to take you back before the book got bent.

well I own that Hulk #1 now, so will have to look for the crease. The front cover is beautiful though. By the way, do you know anyone with a large steamroller or other heavy equipment that could be used to squeeze or straighten, or flatten unsightly wrinkles or .... creases. Not that I would ever think about trying to ratchet up the grades on any particular book by unsavory methods!

Clobberin that's one heck of a pick up. How tough was it to decide on just one book for that kind of cash? Any urge to pick up a Marvel Comics #1 instead. (sorry I'm a little OT here).

Since I no longer have it in my possession I cannot comment on how long it is. I definitely know it's not a bend and it won't come out. This book is not a "pressing candidate" unless time travel is invented to take you back before the book got bent.

Thanks.

I wasn't really trying to gauge if it could be pressed (since you said it couldn't). I was really trying to gauge how much CGC downgrades a near perfect book with a long crease on the back as the only major defect.

Clobberin that's one heck of a pick up. How tough was it to decide on just one book for that kind of cash? Any urge to pick up a Marvel Comics #1 instead. (sorry I'm a little OT here).

arent they talking about the PC copy now?

arent they talking about the PC copy now?

Oops, my bad.

Yep - I have the lowly 8.0 pacific coast which cost enough and could not imagine spending what that Hulk 1 9.2 went for. The most expensive books I have ever bought were FF 1 8.5 and a spidey 1 9.0 - and they will be the most expensive. As for my Hulk 1, I have never looked at the back very closely as I am one of those people who doesnt care about back cover problems like writing etc as it doesnot effect the art work. But if Bob says 3 elephants could not fix it, that is good enough for me!

This debate about cash sales vs. trade/cash sales has been going on in the comic art business for years. It's now generally accepted that trade/cash deals are suspect, in terms of what an item actually "sold" for. Whenever a deal is cash/trade, the value that it "sold" for is almost invariably higher than what it would have sold for if it were a pure cash deal. You can debate me on this, but practically speaking this is what almost always happens. So, this concept is no longer debated in the comic art community, and everyone agrees that cash/trade deals are about 20% higher compared to pure cash deals (in general).

Think of it this way: Say that item A has a price of 15K. Most dealers/sellers will either want 15K cash or about 18K in trade. So, if you give him the 18K in trade, what was the real sale price???

In this manner, cash/trade delas tend to "overvalue" items. This ultimately results in an inflation of values that probably is not good for the hobby in the long run. For this reason, I can see why people may want only all-cash sales reported to GPA. It's objective, whereas cash/trade deals are less so.

Best,

In this manner, cash/trade delas tend to "overvalue" items. This ultimately results in an inflation of values that probably is not good for the hobby in the long run. For this reason, I can see why people may want only all-cash sales reported to GPA. It's objective, whereas cash/trade deals are less so.

Da be what I'm sayin!!!!!!

Cash = Good Data

Trade = Bad Data

smile.gif

Well you two can pat yourselves on the back but cash/trade means NO DIFFERENCE to me. And if I am the exception than sorry. If some is selling me a book or trading me a book they are paid the same thing because the WAY I see it I'm taking the risk that it will sell for what I am giving them for it. If I make some money on the trade so be it, if I sell it for the trade value I'm whole. If the person doesn't like my offer than sell them yourself and pay me the asking price for my book.

This debate about cash sales vs. trade/cash sales has been going on in the comic art business for years. It's now generally accepted that trade/cash deals are suspect, in terms of what an item actually "sold" for. Whenever a deal is cash/trade, the value that it "sold" for is almost invariably higher than what it would have sold for if it were a pure cash deal. You can debate me on this, but practically speaking this is what almost always happens. So, this concept is no longer debated in the comic art community, and everyone agrees that cash/trade deals are about 20% higher compared to pure cash deals (in general).

Think of it this way: Say that item A has a price of 15K. Most dealers/sellers will either want 15K cash or about 18K in trade. So, if you give him the 18K in trade, what was the real sale price???

Best,

As reported after the fact, I agree that a trade/cash deal will inflate the value. Of course, during the actual negotiations, most dealers will try to stiff you by undervaluing the books you're offering in trade, because the dealer (surprise surprise) wants to maximize the cash component. Then lo and behold, when they publicly report the deal afterwards, the value of the books you traded in suddenly mysteriously seem to be approaching the value you had originally ascribed to them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif