• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has CGC High Grade Comics Killed the fun in Collecting Lower Grades?

41 posts in this topic

Perhaps one reason why people dont talk to much about comics in under 6.0 grades is that they are rather widely available. While I love Ebay for being able to find what I want, it kinda ruined the "fun" of comic collecting. The old school way of touring the local comic shops and attending comic conventions ( even out of town ones ) looking for that one issue you were missing.

An example:

I collected The Incredible Hulk when I was a kid. I cant explain why. The very first comic I ever bought was a Spiderman in the year 1970. In the back of the issue was an advertisement for Marvel that had heads of all their characters around a statement like "make mine marvel" or something to that effect. I liked the look of the mean green guy. So I started buying hulk comics. I immediately bought every back issue i could find when i had allowance money, and I was 6 years old.

edit- {Comics ultimately helped shape my future career, as I loved to draw the characters in those comics, and now today I work as an illustrator for a living.}Beyond that i got a job delivering newspapers to pay for my addiction. Then as I got older,a part time job. I eventually finished my collection when I was 21. I had issues 1-6, all the tales to Astonish from 60-101 and all issues of the Hulk from 102 up. I even went so far as to collect alot of his appearances. It was hard work, took me a long time with many hours spent attending conventions and going to comic stores. Eventually i sold my collection ( foreheadslap.gif mistake!!! ). I have regretted it to this day. So much have I regretted it that I decided to recollect all those issues and now own ALL of them thanks to Ebay. I didnt even have to leave my house thanks to postal delivery. My collection is far better quality than when I was a kid. You couldnt be as choosy in the "old days". Today, there is usually a copy of any comic you want for sale online with the exception of the truly rare issues.

I really dont think there is a lack of people collecting the lower graded comics, I just think it isnt as newsworthy as the higher grades because, well, everyone is buying them.

Great topic by the way

smile.gif

Artboy99