• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ridiculous Detective 1

43 posts in this topic

It's up to nearly four thousand dollars with a manic bidding war going on.

Are people MAD ???????

It's in worse than poor condition, wrong back cover, big piece out of the front cover, with a story page missing, and crumbling apart with ugly dark brown sellotape on the edge.

Mine has a reproduction centrefold, so I thought I'd pick this tatty copy up for five hundred bucks just to get the centrefold.

I'm in total shock.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=69&item=6502775787&rd=1

Anyone know who these bidders are with money to burn ????

So you're irritated you couldn't get the copy for $500?

Er....... yeah.

If the issue is going for a premium, maybe you should sell your copy?

And replace it with what ???? Apart from the centrefold, mine looks nice. This copy looks like a dog.

Mainly because I upgraded my More Fun 53 and my old copy was complete and MILES nicer than this, and yet we still couldn't get fifteen hundred dollars on e-Bay for it.

This ugly damaged brittle comic is fetching way way more than it's worth incomplete and in terrible condition.

2004 Overstreet "Good" is $8,333, which is probably low. "Book" value on a coverless Detective 1 is probably about $3500, so this is within the range. $500? You're absolutely dreaming.

That's half the GD price, right? That's probably expensive, but that's not so insane really. It was never going to sell for $500.

Yes but it's so poor that if it were complete it should be less than a quarter of the good price. Then there's a missing story page and the back cover is missing, replaced with the back cover form Action 23.

It shouldn't go for more than a thousand. NOT in that horrible condition.

I was actually prepared to go up to two, just to get the centrefold.

Their reserve was only a couple of hundred bucks - they must be rubbing thier hands with glee.

Paul Sassienie picked up a fine-plus copy last year in the UK for three thousand pounds.

2004 Overstreet "Good" is $8,333, which is probably low. "Book" value on a coverless Detective 1 is probably about $3500, so this is within the range. $500? You're absolutely dreaming.

Look at the scans and see how brittle it is. All the edges are crumbling.

A coverless would never be as high as that. Poor with a cover is a quarter of the good price. And that's for a complete poor, not one missing the back cover and a story page.

Look at the scans and see how brittle it is. All the edges are crumbling.

A coverless would never be as high as that. Poor with a cover is a quarter of the good price. And that's for a complete poor, not one missing the back cover and a story page.

You haven't bought coverless books in a while. Golden Age coverless keys consistenly sell for 40-60% of Good guide. I've sold single wraps for more than a 1/16 of Good guide.

You haven't bought coverless books in a while. Golden Age coverless keys consistenly sell for 40-60% of Good guide. I've sold single wraps for more than a 1/16 of Good guide.

Then the deal I gave Filter was the deal of a lifetime.

Tons of major early Golden Age classics, all with perfect facsimile covers, all for less than seventy bucks each.

I must have been mad.

Then the deal I gave Filter was the deal of a lifetime.

Tons of major early Golden Age classics, all with perfect facsimile covers, all for less than seventy bucks each.

I must have been mad.

If they were Golden Age keys from DC, yep, you were. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If they were Golden Age keys from DC, yep, you were. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

So why couldn't I get more than two thousand for my spare More Fun 53, the origin of the Spectre, which had some amateur restoration but looked nice and is complete ????

Harley still has it and hasn't sold it.

That's a f'ugly book, but I wouldn't mind having it. That's about the only kind of copy of DETECTIVE #1 I'll be able to afford.

Why is the page showing through the hole in the cover Page Three, and not Page One ???

Mainly because I upgraded my More Fun 53 and my old copy was complete and MILES nicer than this, and yet we still couldn't get fifteen hundred dollars on e-Bay for it.

This ugly damaged brittle comic is fetching way way more than it's worth incomplete and in terrible condition.

Are you comparing More Fun 53 and Detective 1? I wo uld have bought that copy for $500. And I'm not a huge DC fan.

Why is the page showing through the hole in the cover Page Three, and not Page One ???

The more I study the scan, the more convinced I am that the first page is missing as well as the last.

Anyone know the buyer ????

It does say that the 2 outer wraps are missing and he's including Xeroxs of them. I know it's a rare book, and all but I think I might be with Ian on this one. It would be one thing if it was just the wrong back cover but there are pages missing too making it incomplete...Seems like your gonna have to go out and try and find another incomplete copy with those wraps, and then if you want it to look decent shell out for the resto work...

How would the price be affected Ian if you bought a book that has the centerfold and married it to your Tec 1? If it wasnt a Tec1 and someone married two books together how would it affect the price it could be sold for? Also, I guess the book is considered to be complete but is there a stigma attached?

So why couldn't I get more than two thousand for my spare More Fun 53, the origin of the Spectre, which had some amateur restoration but looked nice and is complete ????

Harley still has it and hasn't sold it.

amateur restoration

Absolute kiss of death in this marketplace.