• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibles are worthless...

305 posts in this topic

I don't know if collectibles are a U.S. thing, but I'm starting to think that the crazy amounts of money spent, were spent on something that is so illiquid unless you're living in the U.S. so anyway, I live in the UAE (Dubai) and a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site, but there was no interest what so ever. People were even messaging me and telling me I was crazy to expect to get that much for a comic book. We are talking comics like Spiderman #50, 122, Hulk 181 etc.

I see the same thing happening with Legos now, and it seems to have become a fad right after the Lego movie, people hoarding sets hoping they'll sell them for huge profits. But at the end of the day, as much as you might love the blocks, no one in their right mind is going to pay $5,000 for a toy. Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

So essentially what you're saying is that because you couldn't sell comics locally, via classified ads, those comics are worthless?

Further, because no one will pay $5000 for some Lego set, you conclude that no one ever has or ever will pay $5000 for a toy?

Welcome to comics general. Your logic, while terrible, is still above average for this place.

Considering all the transactions I see and many for big numbers it's obvious they aren't worthless. It's true they are not always easy to convert into cash depending on the value you put on them.

A better question would be if comics were a good long term investment in terms of returns.

I don't know if collectibles are a U.S. thing, but I'm starting to think that the crazy amounts of money spent, were spent on something that is so illiquid unless you're living in the U.S. so anyway, I live in the UAE (Dubai) and a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site, but there was no interest what so ever. People were even messaging me and telling me I was crazy to expect to get that much for a comic book. We are talking comics like Spiderman #50, 122, Hulk 181 etc.

I see the same thing happening with Legos now, and it seems to have become a fad right after the Lego movie, people hoarding sets hoping they'll sell them for huge profits. But at the end of the day, as much as you might love the blocks, no one in their right mind is going to pay $5,000 for a toy. Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

So essentially what you're saying is that because you couldn't sell comics locally, via classified ads, those comics are worthless?

Further, because no one will pay $5000 for some Lego set, you conclude that no one ever has or ever will pay $5000 for a toy?

Welcome to comics general. Your logic, while terrible, is still above average for this place.

Ok I'll give you an example, let's pretend you don't care about superheroes, comics etc. now I've seen these hot toys which are selling for like $350, for what? it is a piece of plastic. Would you think that is normal to spend that kind of money on such a thing. I'm honestly not trying to start any flame war, I'm just interested to have an intelligent conversation about this. Are collectibles actually worth anything, or are people really deluding themselves? I know no one would ever think you're crazy if you put that kind of money and more buying gold.

a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site, but there was no interest what so ever. People were even messaging me and telling me I was crazy to expect to get that much for a comic book. We are talking comics like Spiderman #50, 122, Hulk 181 etc.

You gotta figure someone is PMing him right now "ASM #50 you say? hm Hulk #181?"

:facepalm:

Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

“The land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for, because it's the only thing that lasts".....Gerald O'Hara, Gone With The Wind.”

― Margaret Mitchell

ef56cbc031a480d42c41bc5328b4a331.jpg

I walked into a bar and no one was remotely interested in buying my Action #1.

Ergo, it is worthless.

So when the hits the fan, that gold you just bought will suddenly become edible?

No, but it is the best method for obtaining bread from someone who makes it.

There is nothing so universal as gold. It is the world's oldest, and best, currency.

This can be said about any number of things in the world. different culture, different focus, lifestyle, interests, religions, etc. I'm sure someone in Africa who has to walk like 15 miles for water would care less about a Hulk 181. (I will be stepping down off my soap box now)

:whistle:

What makes gold any different? It has less utility than comics or legos so you could easily argue that collectibles should be worth more. Sure, it is more liquid, but as a store of value, historically, it's not worth its weight in well, ...

I live in the UAE (Dubai) and a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site,

What was the popular classified site?

What is popular in some parts of the world is obviously not going to be popular here.

How much winter clothing do you guys spend money on in a year?

Ok I'll give you an example, let's pretend you don't care about superheroes, comics etc. now I've seen these hot toys which are selling for like $350, for what? it is a piece of plastic. Would you think that is normal to spend that kind of money on such a thing. I'm honestly not trying to start any flame war, I'm just interested to have an intelligent conversation about this. Are collectibles actually worth anything, or are people really deluding themselves? I know no one would ever think you're crazy if you put that kind of money and more buying gold.

All these questions and more can be answered in any Macroeconomics textbook. It's really not up for debate, unless you're bored or something.

This can be said about any number of things in the world. different culture, different focus, lifestyle, interests, religions, etc. I'm sure someone in Africa who has to walk like 15 miles for water would care less about a Hulk 181. (I will be stepping down off my soap box now)

:whistle:

I think the people who are paying or willing to pay such a huge amount of money are a small group of people who have dollar signs in their eyes, hoping deep down that what they bought today, would tomorrow bring them thousands upon thousands of dollars. The truth is the only person who will pay is another person who doesn't know any better hoping to make a lot of money later.

Does anything other than food, shelter, or clothing, and related materials to make or help make those items or acquire have any intrinsic value?

I think you're talking about more of a philosophical existential question about the meaning of life and possessions.

No one forces you or anyone else to collect anything, to buy and sell anything. Its not for everyone. People collect all different things, and for all different reasons, but at some point you should when you enjoy the collectible personally, or will gain some enjoyment from selling (hopefully for a profit) later on. If you don't enjoy the product for the price you paid, and don't realize gains from selling, perhaps comics and collectibles are not for you.

The same can be said for nearly any item. We don't need to buy napkins, there's a million trees everywhere, we could just use leaves. We don't need computers, I can't eat my computer or live in it or wear it.

My guess is the OP needs a deepdive on his own issues and/or his own priorities.

I tried selling some Action #1's from my hut in Kenya. There was NO interest. Ergo, they are worthless.

Does anything other than food, shelter, or clothing, and related materials to make or help make those items or acquire have any intrinsic value?

I think you're talking about more of a philosophical existential question about the meaning of life and possessions.

No one forces you or anyone else to collect anything, to buy and sell anything. Its not for everyone. People collect all different things, and for all different reasons, but at some point you should when you enjoy the collectible personally, or will gain some enjoyment from selling (hopefully for a profit) later on. If you don't enjoy the product for the price you paid, and don't realize gains from selling, perhaps comics and collectibles are not for you.

The same can be said for nearly any item. We don't need to buy napkins, there's a million trees everywhere, we could just use leaves. We don't need computers, I can't eat my computer or live in it or wear it.

My guess is the OP needs a deepdive on his own issues and/or his own priorities.

I wouldn't recommend using leaves for napkins-they're not exactly the quicker picker upper.

What makes gold any different? It has less utility than comics or legos so you could easily argue that collectibles should be worth more. Sure, it is more liquid, but as a store of value, historically, it's not worth its weight in well, ...

Gold worthless?!?

<a  href=grillz_zps8fc712f3.jpg' alt='grillz_zps8

I'll not hear anything of it good sir.