• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibles are worthless...

305 posts in this topic

Yeah but if you have gold it's a highly liquid asset. You can go to any jewellery shop and sell it. Comics are not, you will be lucky to find someone willing to pay the asking price.

Stop taking your comics to jewelry stores, and start taking them to comic stores.

Have you watched the show Comic Book Men? Walt tries to rip off any guy that comes in with something "valuable" a jewellery store can't do that because the price of gold is already set.

What point are you trying to make? That not all investment opportunities are equal? That the value of any given item (including collectibles) can be influenced by location?

Congratulations! You can now graduate to the 8th grade! (or 5th grade in Asian countries and Germany).

Store of value? Yes.

Medium of exchange? Not really. If I want to purchase something with gold anywhere in the world, I will almost always need to convert it to a local currency, which may not always be particularly easy. I can't go to McDonald's or Walmart and buy food with gold.

Gold is not used as a currency all that much these days.

The most accepted medium of exchange today is probably a Visa card. I can go almost anywhere in the world and make purchases that are automatically converted to whatever the local currency is at that day's exchange rates.

Aside from that, it is its universality that makes it different. Gold is recognized the world over as a store of value, and is the most accepted, and acceptable, medium of exchange that exists.

You make a good point. I once spent $100 on lap dances, and when I tried to unload those lap dances on a bank teller to recoup my money, she called the cops and I never got my money back. Lap dances are worthless.

You make a good point. I once spent $100 on lap dances, and when I tried to unload those lap dances on a bank teller to recoup my money, she called the cops and I never got my money back. Lap dances are worthless.

They're worth more if you pay more for them.

Even better (thumbs u

This can be said about any number of things in the world. different culture, different focus, lifestyle, interests, religions, etc. I'm sure someone in Africa who has to walk like 15 miles for water would care less about a Hulk 181. (I will be stepping down off my soap box now)

:whistle:

I think the people who are paying or willing to pay such a huge amount of money are a small group of people who have dollar signs in their eyes, hoping deep down that what they bought today, would tomorrow bring them thousands upon thousands of dollars. The truth is the only person who will pay is another person who doesn't know any better hoping to make a lot of money later.

This is not true. It is conditionally true, but not universally true.

hm

You weren't going after your target audience.

hm

Roy?

:news:

The Louvre and other museums have just received word all the paintings are worthless and have tossed them in the trash.

Also being tossed worldwide: original Magna Carta, Ben Franklin's handwritten journal, Original Constitution.

Store of value? Yes.

Medium of exchange? Not really. If I want to purchase something with gold anywhere in the world, I will almost always need to convert it to a local currency, which may not always be particularly easy. I can't go to McDonald's or Walmart and buy food with gold.

And yet, oddly enough, you could do just that for millennia. It has only been the last 50 years or so that that hasn't been true worldwide. The United States Government actually made money out of gold in the shape of coins, legal tender for all debts, public and private, until 1933. In 1925, you could buy groceries at the market and hand someone a $2.50 gold coin in payment.

Again...the only thing that prevents this is that governments around the world have gotten away with fiat currency...and once that collapses, as all fiat currency eventually does, we will be back to using metals in exchange for goods and services. Probably not in our lifetimes, but certainly within the lives of our great-grandchildren.

Gold is not used as a currency all that much these days.

The most accepted medium of exchange today is probably a Visa card. I can go almost anywhere in the world and make purchases that are automatically converted to whatever the local currency is at that day's exchange rates.

This will be true until whatever issuing bank is responsible for your particular bits and bytes shuts it down. Then, you'll just have a pretty piece of plastic.

hm

Roy?

Exactly!

:luhv:

As always, it's about understanding your market. To most people here, a lap dance from you isn't worth $100.

But I imagine there's a few folks out there who would pay that...

:whee:

What makes gold any different? It has less utility than comics or legos so you could easily argue that collectibles should be worth more. Sure, it is more liquid, but as a store of value, historically, it's not worth its weight in well, ...

Gold has less utility than comics or legos...?

Are you sure about that?

hm

(that's a fairly rhetorical question...gold has much, much more utility than comics or legos.)

Aside from that, it is its universality that makes it different. Gold is recognized the world over as a store of value, and is the most accepted, and acceptable, medium of exchange that exists.

"But what if I need bread, and have bananas to trade for it?"

Fine and dandy...until everyone you want to trade with already has bananas, and has no need of yours. Gold solves that problem quite efficiently.

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of other reasons, but that would make this a wall of text, and that frightens people.

John Locke +1s this post.

I don't know if collectibles are a U.S. thing, but I'm starting to think that the crazy amounts of money spent, were spent on something that is so illiquid unless you're living in the U.S. so anyway, I live in the UAE (Dubai) and a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site, but there was no interest what so ever. People were even messaging me and telling me I was crazy to expect to get that much for a comic book. We are talking comics like Spiderman #50, 122, Hulk 181 etc.

I see the same thing happening with Legos now, and it seems to have become a fad right after the Lego movie, people hoarding sets hoping they'll sell them for huge profits. But at the end of the day, as much as you might love the blocks, no one in their right mind is going to pay $5,000 for a toy. Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

...then please either give me or sell me very cheaply your Spider-man #50, 122 and Hulk 181 as they are not worth anything.

I believe the cops were called because of the nomenclature employed during the transaction.