• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So What is the Key Warlock Book?

118 posts in this topic

I see FF 66, 67 as conception, Thor 165 as development, and MP 1 as birth. Being old school, I hold to FF 66 as the first appearance when the character was originally conceived. As far as key, I feel it should be MP 1, when the character emerged definitively as Warlock. BTW, I own all three, so that doesn't sway my thinking.

I think Strange Tales 178 should enter into the equation because without Starlin's seminal work on Warlock, the character wouldn't have devloped into something more than just a minor throw-away character. I'm surprised it isn't worth more than it is.

This is almost exactly my line of thought. I really love the cover to 66 though so I am biased there.

I like Thor 165 but it doesn't do much for me story wise. All he does is off Thor and get humbled. :) The character does not really evolve until MP1.

The early Warlock books are pretty brutal to get through though and I agree that ST 178 doesn't get the love it should. Besides being such a great cover, it begins THE story arc that defines Warlock.

I'm hoping one of these is they key Warlock book (because I own them).

MarvelPremiere1CGC92WA_zps5c26b7b1.jpg

Damn, that's a nice 9.2 Looks much better. Any idea what's keeping it from grading higher?

Yeah, if it were a higher res pic you would see a few color breaking creases on the spine (if it weren't a black cover you might not see them at all). Also, the corners are a bit soft and there is some marvel chipping on the back cover.

Damn, that's a nice 9.2 Looks much better. Any idea what's keeping it from grading higher?

Yeah, if it were a higher res pic you would see a few color breaking creases on the spine (if it weren't a black cover you might not see them at all). Also, the corners are a bit soft and there is some marvel chipping on the back cover.

You should find a better copy and sell this one to me at once. :baiting:

I still think Thor 165 is undervalued. I feel like it has another big jump coming at some point. And since I think the other books won't necessarily have a huge leap at any point...I guess that answers the question for me as to which is the "key" book in my mind.

Anyone who pays anything for Infinity War deserves to lose their money. It's absolutely terrible, and likely to have no impact on the movies other than the name.

Really!?!? Bummer.....I just bought the trade for Infinity War after reading the Infinity Gauntlet again in the omnibus. I never read Infinity War when it came out but thought it might be good after enjoying Infinity Gauntlet.

Anyone who pays anything for Infinity War deserves to lose their money. It's absolutely terrible, and likely to have no impact on the movies other than the name.

Agreed.

You're assuming people read these things these days.

See above post! :grin:

:baiting:

http://www.highgradecomics.com/article.php?dynamic=book_details&id=98708

Really!?!? Bummer.....I just bought the trade for Infinity War after reading the Infinity Gauntlet again in the omnibus. I never read Infinity War when it came out but thought it might be good after enjoying Infinity Gauntlet.

Well, everyone has different tastes. You might enjoy it. I will say it's better than Infinity Crusade.

I'm still pretty sure it won't be referenced in the movies, so speculating on the originals is silly. But I certainly can't condemn anyone for buying something to read, even if it happens to be a story I personally think is awful.

I love this thread! Warlock is one of my favorite cosmic characters... I probably like him more than the Silver Surfer (don't hate me for saying that).

This is a tough question, and as I have asked myself this question before, and because of the complex nature of this character and his progressive evolution from Lee/Kirby, Thomas/ Kane and Starlin, and, in my humble opinion, not one book would satisfy the question, but owning several key books is the only way to go. Which books? This is my list:

FF 66 (Cocoon's 1st Appearance; Origin story)

FF 67 (Warlock's 1st Appearance; albeit a Cameo, but it counts)

Thor 165 (1st Full Appearance; and that is what it means... not the very first appearance, but a full appearance other than a Cameo).

Marvel Premiere 1 (he becomes the Messiah; given the name Warlock; the homage costume to Shazam; the Soul Gem)

MP 2 (not essential, but for the completist like me, he's given the name Adam)

Strange Tales 178 (1st Magus; mostly because Starlin takes it to another level which becomes the definitive take)

The other books worth collecting:

The Power of Warlock 1 (he finally gets his own mag)

ST 180 (1st Appearance of Gamora)

Warlock 9 (the costume that made him)

Warlock 10 (Thanos and Gamora's origin)

So if you can get all of the above, you in essence have the complete Warlock.

I'm still trying to get them all... and I hope to eventually.

if I am missing any other key Warlock books, please let me know.

SW3D

I love this thread! Warlock is one of my favorite cosmic characters... I probably like him more than the Silver Surfer (don't hate me for saying that).

This is a tough question, and as I have asked myself this question before, and because of the complex nature of this character and his progressive evolution from Lee/Kirby, Thomas/ Kane and Starlin, and, in my humble opinion, not one book would satisfy the question, but owning several key books is the only way to go. Which books? This is my list:

Thor 165 (1st Full Appearance; and that is what it means... not the very first appearance, but a full appearance other than a Cameo).

Marvel Premiere 1 (he becomes the Messiah; given the name Warlock; the homage costume to Shazam; the Soul Gem)

Strange Tales 178 (1st Magus; mostly because Starlin takes it to another level which becomes the definitive take)

So if you can get all of the above, you in essence have the complete Warlock.

I'm still trying to get them all... and I hope to eventually.

if I am missing any other key Warlock books, please let me know.

SW3D

Hulk 178 - 1st "Death" of Adam Warlock

Strange Tales 179 - 1st Pip, could be a big key depending on GOTG 2

ST 181 - 1st full Gamora, her name is revealed

Warlock 11 - "Death" of The Magus, "Death" of Warlock foreshadowing

(OK, the whole Starlin run pretty much)

Avengers Annual 7 - "Death" of Warlock

Marvel 2in1 Ann 2 - "Death" of Thanos

I love this thread! Warlock is one of my favorite cosmic characters... I probably like him more than the Silver Surfer (don't hate me for saying that)

Your core warlock keys right there. (thumbs u

Bob's copy isn't wrapped perfectly and it has ow/w pages. :makepoint:

Recently picked up FF 66 cgc 9.4. Is anyone going to care about this book other than me? I mean, with so many other books associated with Warlock, will this one just be a small piece of the complicated story? Or will it be a key? Time will tell...

Bob's copy isn't wrapped perfectly and it has ow/w pages. :makepoint:

Oh, you're one of "those"

:jokealert: