• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Comic(s) You Read Before Collecting?

64 posts in this topic

The first comics I read were probably Gold Key titles, the ones that came in the three packs like Pink Pather, Road Runner, stuff like that.

The first two I really remember reading were these...

mad210_zpsc3d972c8.jpg

starwars11_zps449d3ec6.jpg

Fantastic 1 - British reprint comic featuring The X-Men. I was pushing 4 years old at the time.

Marvelman Annual - featured 50s reprints and some non-Marvelman science- fiction material, which I originally thought was British in origin but only fairly recently saw the stories again online and realised that I'd been reading Speed Carter : Spaceman by Joe Maneely.

All-Star Squadron #19. I was a kid and into Superfriends at the time, so I think I wanted this issue because I saw Wonder Woman and Hawkman on the cover. Imagine my confusion when I was exposed to completely different versions of The Flash and Green Lantern on the inside. :ohnoez:

702047_zpsf9dcdf36.jpg

In the late 70s, my mother would often pick up TV tie-ins at the newsstand for me -- Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, etc. -- and I had a pile of them that I would read and re-read before I started to collect more seriously.

There was no "before collecting" for me. The first comic I ever read was Blackhawk #269, which my parents bought for me to keep me quiet while they were at their bowling league.

When I got home, I took out a folder, carefully put the issue inside and then wrote out a checklist of Blackhawk issues - crossing out, of course, #269.

I don't know why, but I became a collector as soon as I read my first comic.

That was somewhat similar to me.

When I bought my first issue of Daredevil -- #183 -- I immediately fell in the love with the title, and I wanted... no NEEDED to have the first 182.

OCD is a beautiful thing.

Archie Comics bought by my parents for me as a kid, and then filling out the subscription cards and getting them in the mail :cloud9:

Havent actually ever collected them since I became a comic collector, but one day I will likely target some big Archie books to add to the collection.

The first comic book I ever remember reading was Godzilla # 2 at a friend of the family's house.

I was so captivated by the book that I HAD to have it and would no go home without it!!

This title has always had a soft spot for me and I now have the # 1 set in the registry.

It took a few years to complete but I couldn't be happier!!

:applause:

That's a terrific title and story you have. Godzilla, Shogun Warriors, etc. are gateway titles that any kid can fall in love with.

In the late 70s, my mother would often pick up TV tie-ins at the newsstand for me -- Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, etc. -- and I had a pile of them that I would read and re-read before I started to collect more seriously.

I collect seriously and those are exactly the titles I buy. :grin:

Someone mentioned Harvey and I forgot about Richie Rich, Hot Stuff, and Casper. Now that I'm thinking about it, I would love to read a few Hot Stuff comics right now. I also loved the Jumbo the Giant backup stories in that title. And Richie Rich never got old with a rich list of characters: Gloria, Dollar, Pee Wee, Reggie, Freckles, Cadbury, Irona. It is sad titles like these are not even being published anymore.

It reminds me of the terrific cartoons that were a staple of my childhood. My kids will never know Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Huckleberry Hound, Magilla Gorilla, Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, and countless other classic characters.

My early reading years were filled with Archies, Harvey, and some Gold Key. I'm still a huge Archie fan, and appreciate old Sad Sacks, Little Lotta, Little Dot, Richie Rich, and duck books(and Mad Magazine, somehow. :D ).

I mentioned earlier I was an Archie kid to. There was something so thrilling as a kid having a subscription to something, and it arriving each month. I remember they used to come in some sort of brown paper wrapping I believe.

I'd love to subscribe directly to the publisher for books, just for the fun/thrill/nostalgia of getting books in the mail. (I tried to do it a bit in the early 2000s just for the fun of it), but the books get to banged up, and the price of shipping is to high, and in the internet era is generally easy to get discounts from cover.

Well, I was born in '72, so I was only 6 or 7 when she was buying them for me. I didn't really start buying stuff on my own or searching them out until a few years later.

Well, I was born in '72, so I was only 6 or 7 when she was buying them for me. I didn't really start buying stuff on my own or searching them out until a few years later.

I read Battlestar Galactica 1-3 and Micronauts 1-3 until they pretty much fell apart. Both were from bagged sets picked up at K-Mart :)

First American comic strips I read before collecting were part of the flashy flickers magic picture gun. From what I recall,

Batman 'the man who couldn't be tried twice'

The Flash (pied piper story?)

The Phantom

Blondie

Prince Valiant

Hi & Lois

Jonny West

earliest 'real comic' recollection - the brave and the bold 78