• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Shazam #1 ink over spray

15 posts in this topic

I don't think I've ever seen an example of this magnitude. I would guess it would affect the grade a lot. Even with a high grade it would be a hard sell. I just can't see how this copy would be anyone's keeper. Terrible eye appeal. Sorry.

I don't think that affects the grade. Perhaps the price it ends up selling for, but as far as grade goes I thought oversprays were looked past.

Not in an example like this. It has to affect the the grade. This is a stain. A very fugly stain. I don't see CGC grading this any higher than 7.5 .

I don't think that affects the grade. Perhaps the price it ends up selling for, but as far as grade goes I thought oversprays were looked past.

Not in an example like this. It has to affect the the grade. This is a stain. A very fugly stain. I don't see CGC grading this any higher than 7.5 .

I see. I think it's rude to use words like "fugly" and above you talked about how it has "terrible eye appeal."

Not sure why this book has you pretty worked up.

I see. I think it's rude to use words like "fugly" and above you talked about how it has "terrible eye appeal."

Not sure why this book has you pretty worked up.

he's not entitled to an opinion?

I disagree that this is a stain, it's pretty obvious that this was the top book of the stack that was sprayed. I would take this copy over a water stained copy any day. I don't even think the spray would be taken into account as the book is not that high grade to begin with.

He is definitely entitled to his opinion. Just like I can hold my opinion that his words were rude. Lovely how that works.

Wow, what a dandy . . . meh

His comment wasn't rude -- it was at best, casual.

I disagree that this is a stain, it's pretty obvious that this was the top book of the stack that was sprayed. I would take this copy over a water stained copy any day. I don't even think the spray would be taken into account as the book is not that high grade to begin with.

It's a nice looking copy, but the staining is significant enough to impact the grade. When is a stain not a stain? (Never) :grin:

He is definitely entitled to his opinion. Just like I can hold my opinion that his words were rude. Lovely how that works.

Excuse me but isn't this a PGM thread ? If this was a Sales thread my comments would be rude but not in a PGM thread. My original statement said the book had terrible eye appeal, it does. If you ask me for my opinion and I give you an honest answer, I am rude ? Sorry, but I think your comments were out of line.

I don’t think Bob was rude, he just did not mean to be offensive in his choice of words. I use "fugly", which would not translate in a short sentence in italian (would be "fottutamente brutto") – I tend to say visual things are "horrible" without meaning an offense with that, as it’s on an aesthetic level. :)

Said this, I quite disagree on the overspray question. As much invasive as it is, it belongs to the books' publishing and distribution history, it’s not an accidental stain, and thus I quite like it. Plus, it’s not so aesthetically unpleasing.

All in all, I’d say 8.5, 8.0 if we are annoyed by the ink… ;)