• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm pulling off the gloves! Please grade this Avengers #57 1st App The Vision!

100 posts in this topic

Here is what I don't understand.

OS Guideline for a 9.0: "A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly inperceptible.

Now, those 3 color breaking spineticks seem pretty perceptible to me. Wouldn't this possibly be a 8.5 or maybe even a 8.0?

Just wondering what you guys think.

They are easier to see because they are on the black part of the cover. Those certainly qualify as "nearly imperceptible." I agree with the 9.0 on this one. David, what is PQ and is it going up for sale? Is this the same issue you showed me at your house?

They are easier to see because they are on the black part of the cover. Those certainly qualify as "nearly imperceptible." I agree with the 9.0 on this one. David, what is PQ and is it going up for sale?

PQ is solid O/W at a minimum. thumbsup2.gif

OS Guideline for a 9.0: "A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly inperceptible.

Now, those 3 color breaking spineticks seem pretty perceptible to me. Wouldn't this possibly be a 8.5 or maybe even a 8.0?

If you actually look at most 9.4's and really don't see any perceptible wear, I bet on closer examination you will several (probably 3-5) non-color breaking spine ticks. These break color and therefore keep the book out of the 9.4 range, but are not so severe, IMO, to keep this out of the 9.0-9.2 range.

As I have said before, as someone who has well over 100 Silver-Age CGC 9.4 or higher books, EVERYONE of them has FLAWS that can been seen. In almost all cases, the FLAWS BREAK COLOR (not much, but they do).

If you actually look at most 9.4's and really don't see any perceptible wear, I bet on closer examination you will several (probably 3-5) non-color breaking spine ticks. These break color and therefore keep the book out of the 9.4 range, but are not so severe, IMO, to keep this out of the 9.0-9.2 range.

As I have said before, as someone who has well over 100 Silver-Age CGC 9.4 or higher books, EVERYONE of them has FLAWS that can been seen. In almost all cases, the FLAWS BREAK COLOR (not much, but they do).

Agreed 100%. thumbsup2.gif Sometimes we forget that there is the word "near" in "near mint."

Whats that on the top edge of the back cover, overspray? if it is I am thinking NM- on this one, very sharp thumbsup2.gif

yay.gif

Divad,

Why can't I pick up your scans? Just boxes with X's in them.

Cuz, they were hosted before I submitted the books economy, which was 4 months to the day grin.gif, and are no longer on my host server. yeahok.gif

Why? Interested in buying? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another one I missed from January... frown.gif

Post the slabbed book with a guess the grade thread next time after you get them back!

poke2.gif