• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help settle a bet - 3 books with a poll...

JLA 33  

174 members have voted

1. 1. JLA 33

26 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine has some books that he is wanting to sell. He and I disagree on the grades and I admit that I a harsh grader. His grades are not that far off from what I would grade most of them but still I'm lower. So anyway, we thought we would pick out three examples for now and post them here.

Nothing overly exciting here - we just pulled random books. I will put the books in this same post so as not to take up real estate. I know I started the grading poll to0 high on these as neither of us think they are that high but I had already created it so didn't want to hassle with it.

Thanks guys!

The poll results will determine who buys lunch next he and I go - lol

First is JLA #33

Justiceleagueofamerica33.jpg

Justiceleagueofamerica33back.jpg

A lot of the back cvr grit on the JLA near spine can be removed with dry cleaning using white eraser

I wouldn't go near outer edges because corners can easily come right off

FWIW they are all in the FN neighborhood more or less, the JLA on the less side for sure.

He has a ton of SA books that he is just to sell to Lonestar which neither of us has ever done. I have talked to Conan about it for my books and I looked at their selling/consignment tool. You pick a specific grade and that's where our discussion started. He and I were grades off at times and I can see from the responses that I was a lot lower than most others.

These would be great candidates for the grading contests we run each year... they are definitely hard to pinpoint. All three have nice bright eye appeal and no big honking flaws that would drop the grades quickly. Once you start looking more carefully, they are more mid-grades than high grades as rjpb suggests, but it does take a few moments to get there.

My guesses were 5.5, 5.0, 7.0 as all three look generally pretty sharp, but I could definitely see a case for going a bit lower.

FWIW they are all in the FN neighborhood more or less, the JLA on the less side for sure.

He has a ton of SA books that he is just to sell to Lonestar which neither of us has ever done. I have talked to Conan about it for my books and I looked at their selling/consignment tool. You pick a specific grade and that's where our discussion started. He and I were grades off at times and I can see from the responses that I was a lot lower than most others.

Lonestar has a reputation for fairly tight grades when selling, so I imagine it's the same when buying.

Interesting-the Cheyanne book graded 7.0 personally I hate misaligned books from stacking but seems most dont mind

there is no way the Justice League is higher than a 4.0.

Stain on front cover, corner creases, rip on the back, heavy soiling/mold on the back.

If the stain on the front was small maybe, but it is rather large.

Stain on front cover, corner creases, rip on the back, heavy soiling/mold on the back.

I am the one that graded it at 2.5. That was the one that got my friend and I into this discussion. He wasn't much higher but had it at 4.0.

It is a solid interior but I am surprised at some of the grades being offered. Again, I admit to be rather harsh on grading.

We still really appreciate all the responses to the poll and it has cost me a lunch but it has both insightful and fun. :foryou:

I am the one that graded it at 2.5. That was the one that got my friend and I into this discussion. He wasn't much higher but had it at 4.0.

It is a solid interior but I am surprised at some of the grades being offered. Again, I admit to be rather harsh on grading.

We still really appreciate all the responses to the poll and it has cost me a lunch but it has both insightful and fun. :foryou:

For your information I voted 3.0,stay golden my friend.

FWIW, I went 4.5,5.5,6.5

Structurally the JLA book is pretty sound from what I can tell. I have trouble knocking a book down to the GD range when the spine is that sturdy with no pieces missing, in spite of some staining and dirt. I could be wrong. All just my 2c.

Thanks for the free entertainment and have a great Thanksgiving holiday, gang!

Based on the books we saw in the last grading contest my guess is we'd be surprised at how high CGC would grade the JLA, especially if it gets a pass on the back cover foxing. But yeah, GD range does seem awfully low.

I guess sometimes I'm not sure whether this forum is a "what grade would you give this book" forum, or a "guess the grade CGC would give this book" forum. Sometimes those are two very different things.

Yeah, I always give the grade I think CGC would give a book, not what I'd personally grade it. Certain things that bother me a great bit (Marvel chipping and pre-chipping) CGC gives a higher grade than I ever would. Other things (minor tears, especially interior tears) they hammer much more than I would. I also take into account age of the comic because even if they shouldn't I think CGC grades older comics on a curve.

And I've forgotten my votes but looking at them again I'd probably go 5.0, 6.5, 7.0.

Where is the front cover stain? I'm not seeing it. Clicking through to the photobucket image and enlarging it does reveal more general wear than I initially credited the book with, but even if one hammers it for the back cover stain, 4.0 would seem more like the floor than the ceiling for a grade.