• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Opinion on What I Should Do About a "Restored" Book

25 posts in this topic

The chances of restoration are very high. I know of dealers who would whip out a sharpie to clean up black covers in the 80's and 90's. They didn't even consider it restoration, just making sure eye appeal looked good to justify cover price.

Even through the slab black color touch should light up like a christmas tree under a blacklight. Realistically though, I'd just sell it as is. If you go the restoration removal route, it'll probably be no higher than a 7.0 depending on how big/extensive the CT is. You'll probably get about $225-335 for it as is (blue label 9.4's are going for like $500) where as 7.0's are going for about $260. The cost of removal + regrading negates any profit youd make on it. Good luck!

So here are my options:

Sell it as is -- a 9.4 with a purple label. I'd probably lose a bit of money, but not much.

Crack it open and search for the color touch and... re-submit it? Sell it raw?

Sell it as-is (in the 9.4 slab), and when you're selling, disclose the story/background and mention that you think it either is not color-touched, or has a very minimal amount of color touch. Take the hit on the money (which might not happen -- you could come out even or ahead), and chalk it up to a CGC "oops" or some mysterious color touch that might even have happened during the production/distribution process.

What level of restoration/conservation did CGC designate? I am hoping that buyers are more willing to accept low levels of restoration, or professional conservation, instead of all restoration being treated as equally "PLOD" offensive.

It's slight amateur... the notation on the label says "small amount of color touch on cover".

So here's my situation.

Earlier this year, I purchased a small group of books from a collector -- the first several Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -- who had purchased them all from the shelves. This included a second print of #1. I turned around and sold them -- mostly here on the board -- and the guy who bought the #1 sent it off to have pressed and graded.

I sold it as a VF, but after the press, it graded out as a 9.4. Winner, right? Well, it also came back with a purple label for "small amount of color touch on cover."

Here's the thing: I don't believe that it was restored. The guy bought it from a comic shop off the shelves in '85. He was not a comics collector by any means, so I sincerely doubt that he put a marker to it.

So here are my options:

Sell it as is -- a 9.4 with a purple label. I'd probably lose a bit of money, but not much.

Wait until the company whose name shall not be uttered starts slabbing magazines and send it off to them?

What are your opinions?

(Also, because there's a chance that someone may bring it up, I am neither accusing the purchaser of wrongdoing nor do I think anything shady happened. This is not on them.)

Bleach it out.

So here's my situation.

Earlier this year, I purchased a small group of books from a collector -- the first several Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -- who had purchased them all from the shelves. This included a second print of #1. I turned around and sold them -- mostly here on the board -- and the guy who bought the #1 sent it off to have pressed and graded.

I sold it as a VF, but after the press, it graded out as a 9.4. Winner, right? Well, it also came back with a purple label for "small amount of color touch on cover."

Here's the thing: I don't believe that it was restored. The guy bought it from a comic shop off the shelves in '85. He was not a comics collector by any means, so I sincerely doubt that he put a marker to it.

So here are my options:

Wait until the company whose name shall not be uttered starts slabbing magazines and send it off to them?

What are your opinions?

(Also, because there's a chance that someone may bring it up, I am neither accusing the purchaser of wrongdoing nor do I think anything shady happened. This is not on them.)

Did you have it pressed and graded or the guy you sold it to?

"and the guy who bought the #1 sent it off to have pressed and graded."

"I turned around and sold them" ... "I sold it as a VF"

If you sold it to someone as VF, he then pressed it and got a 9.4 with restoration, how can you sell it again?

Or was this another #1 that you had graded?

(shrug)

Just wandering.