• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars VII Teaster Trailer on Black Friday

608 posts in this topic

Remember when The Force was a mysterious energy and not a bacterial infection?

That's what I'm hopin for

I already lost out in my wish for no cute characters though-we got the ball-riding droid.

I'm guessing they won't even address the midichlorian thing

R2-D2 was pretty cute

Salacious Crumb wasn't cute but he was comic relief

I already lost out in my wish for no cute characters though-we got the ball-riding droid.

R2-D2 was pretty cute

I never understood the hatred for the midichlorian thing. It actually made sense to me. People born with a certain mutant gene or whatever it was had a certain degree of control over the force. It actually explained it, instead of making it a hokey old religion as Han Solo described it.

My cousins are now in their 20's. They loved the prequels. In 1999 one was 10 and the other was 7. By the end of the prequels they were 15 and 12. They look back at those movies with fondness. While I am not an apologist, I think people forget some basic tenants of the Star Wars universe.

Lucas / Lucasfilm makes movies for the general public and not the nitpickers who live breathe and eat the stuff.

Hasbro makes 3&3/4" toys for kids and not for adult collectors.

George Lucas did not steal your childhood. You all suspended disbelief for the first trilogy (IV, V, VI) yet refused to for the prequels. Suspend some more disbelief for the rest of them.

BTW... I can nitpick as well. The only SciFi series that ever got it right was Firefly. Tie Fighters should not scream with whining engines since there is no sound in space. That never bothered anyone though....

Sit back and enjoy the movie. There are a lot more real life things to get worked up over.

The midichlorians are not genes

They are a bacteria

Making the force, which was previously mystical, into an infection pissed off a lot of fans.

The trailer looked fine.

Just wet our whistles a little bit.

I for one hope I never seen another scene from this movie till next December, 2015.

That trailer already showed me there is no chance of a Jar Jar style Lucas turd plate trilogy coming at us.

CGI looks above the bar not below such as the new Jurassic Park trailer.

Nothing about that trailer should make anyone be worried this will ruin the Star Wars franchise.

Hopefully though at the end of this new trilogy the Darkside will win. :headbang:

The midichlorians are not genes

They are a bacteria

Making the force, which was previously mystical, into an infection pissed off a lot of fans.

Just read up on that... microscopic beings... yes bacteria I guess..

Either way... who cares? Incidentally...

George Lucas, on the other hand, considers the two aspects of the Force separately, treating the midi-chlorians as the practical, biological side, distinct from the spiritual and metaphysical side of the Force. - Commentary on the Phantom Menace.

So you should be able to still sleep at night.

The point is it was unnecessary. Lucas has a habit of introducing unnecessary plot elements that detract from the story. Like the 'always 2 Sith' thing. Why? The story would be unfazed if there were no 2 Sith rule and no midi chlorians.

It also de mystified something that's main appeal was its mystery. Some people really got into SW and believed the force was possibly real. Now with the midi chlorian thing their hopes are dashed.

The point is it was unnecessary. Lucas has a habit of introducing unnecessary plot elements that detract from the story. Like the 'always 2 Sith' thing. Why? The story would be unfazed if there were no 2 Sith rule and no midi chlorians.

It also de mystified something that's main appeal was its mystery. Some people really got into SW and believed the force was possibly real. Now with the midi chlorian thing their hopes are dashed.

Really?!

lol

2 Sith rule was brilliant actually... had elements of control over another... a master and an apprentice. As soon as I heard that it screamed elements of selfishness, gathering of power for oneself, and that an apprentice never truly became a master unless he was able to kill his master.

Even in Jedi, the Emperor says for Luke to kill his father and become his new apprentice. Why not take both on as apprentices or franchise out and let Vader take on his son as an apprentice and the Emperor trains another one?

You really get too much into stuff like this. I have a friend like you. Whenever we go to the movies we try to be polite and invite him along but usually try to pick a day that we know he will be busy so we do not have to deal with the aggravation. These are movies, not documentaries.

In that case why would a master ever want an apprentice? Dude will kill him one day....

Why do certain animals eat their young? It's what they do...

It's the circle of life...

R2-D2 was pretty cute

I never understood the hatred for the midichlorian thing. It actually made sense to me. People born with a certain mutant gene or whatever it was had a certain degree of control over the force. It actually explained it, instead of making it a hokey old religion as Han Solo described it.

My cousins are now in their 20's. They loved the prequels. In 1999 one was 10 and the other was 7. By the end of the prequels they were 15 and 12. They look back at those movies with fondness. While I am not an apologist, I think people forget some basic tenants of the Star Wars universe.

Lucas / Lucasfilm makes movies for the general public and not the nitpickers who live breathe and eat the stuff.

George Lucas did not steal your childhood. You all suspended disbelief for the first trilogy (IV, V, VI) yet refused to for the prequels. Suspend some more disbelief for the rest of them.

BTW... I can nitpick as well. The only SciFi series that ever got it right was Firefly. Tie Fighters should not scream with whining engines since there is no sound in space. That never bothered anyone though....

Sit back and enjoy the movie. There are a lot more real life things to get worked up over.

Good post.

^^

R2-D2 was pretty cute

I agree with your coment earlier that Revenge of the Sith is as good as any of the original three. I was a wide eyed ten year old when Star Wars first came out - as many here seem to be - so I was pretty excited when Lucas announced the prequels.

While I have to admit being a bit disappointed with the Phantom Menace it did have Darth Maul and the best Jedi fight to date at the time. I saw it repeated times just for that scene. There were other things as well, like Coruscant which evoked Asimov's Trantor.

Attack of the Clones had the first CGI Yoda! Lots of cool stuff in there.. lots and I thought a definite step up from Phantom. When Revenge of the Sith came out I was overjoyed with it. I must have seen it five or more time on the big screen. The Opera House scene is as chilling as any in the trilogy and final saber duel between Kenobi and Anikin was amazing.

To each their own. I can understand the folks who dislike the prequels. If I want to nitpick - and boy can I - there is ample opportunity but that goes for the original trilogy as well. Really, standing inside a worm's belly inside a hole in an asteroid with nothing but a airplane oxygen mask? That in what for me will always be the greatest Star Wars flick for simple nostalgia reasons alone. For me at least they (the prequels) got better each time and by Revenge of the Sith had hit it's mark.

In many ways it was a doomed venture once Lucas decided to make the prequels. Once he started to quantify things he drew a line in the sand - with a lot of fans on one side it would seem. The Clone Wars, Force, Old Republic seem so mysterious and romantic when we know nothing of them. Same thing for the sequels, when the original trilogy was all there was, then there could only be speculation and nobody is really disappointed with that (well maybe).

One thing I am upset at Lucas with is his meddling of the Original Trilogy. Please Disney give us the original theatrical versions back!

Maybe it's just me but I thought the 2 Sith thing meant they are always in pairs but there could be more than one pair. Their inherent selfishness hindering them from further collaboration.