• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I reeeeealy hope this is a joke....

29 posts in this topic

We've all been there. We've all overpaid for a 'hot' comic that turned ice cold while in our possession.

I haven't. confused-smiley-013.gif

So you didn't buy any new comics in the 90's? confused-smiley-013.gif

Off the rack... confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes. Hence the word new. 27_laughing.gif

I realize it was a blanket statement. But I do think every collector has bought something that was "hot" that turned out to be not so great. When everyone started realize to that, the value dropped.

So they went back out into the collecting world... sadder, but wiser.

ralphie.jpg

What LCS has Wizard 1/2 books?

My LCS used to get them from Wizard for $4 ea and sell them from $5 - $10 when they got them in. I know they don't have the older 1/2s like thid DD but they have all the recent ones like USM 1/2, Teen Titans 1/2 etc., all the stuff that most customers would like...

What LCS has Wizard 1/2 books?

My LCS used to get them from Wizard for $4 ea and sell them from $5 - $10 when they got them in. I know they don't have the older 1/2s like thid DD but they have all the recent ones like USM 1/2, Teen Titans 1/2 etc., all the stuff that most customers would like...

Must be the LCS I have been to here. They would not go out of their way to order the books from Wizard for their customers. Since the customers can order them straight from Wizard at cost. The only time they would have a 1/2 issue is if they bought from a customer.

We've all been there. We've all overpaid for a 'hot' comic that turned ice cold while in our possession.

I haven't. confused-smiley-013.gif

So you didn't buy any new comics in the 90's? confused-smiley-013.gif

Off the rack... confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes. Hence the word new. 27_laughing.gif

I realize it was a blanket statement. But I do think every collector has bought something that was "hot" that turned out to be not so great. When everyone started realize to that, the value dropped.

So they went back out into the collecting world... sadder, but wiser.

ralphie.jpg

Thank goodness I was still in school back in the early 90's and could only afford to buy 1 copy of Spider-Man #1, X-Men #1, etc. I had many friends that bought about 20 copies of each book and got burned later on. However, I did make the mistake of purchasing most Ultraverse and Defiant books back in the 90's since I missed the Valiant Comics mania a few years back. foreheadslap.gif

These days I refuse to buy anything graded higher than a 9.8. I also refuse to pay the huge multiples that some widely available books are going for. For instance, out of my 350 book CGC collection, I only own about 20 CGC graded 9.8 books (mostly from my original raw collection). The only book that I've paid more than 3X the multiple for is ASM #300. I bought 4 - 9.6 CGC graded copies for around $200 each. The only reason I did this is because I do believe that with or without CGC, this book will be worth around this much in 10 years (in NM condition). As a collector you shouldn't solely depend on CGC'c reputation to sell your books in the future. They'll probably be around 10 years from now, but then again they may not be. The shrewd dealers out there take advantage of short term investments, while the overzealous buyers are left holding the back years down the line. It's a chain reaction that will always be a part of our business.