• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay member creates an ID today then instant pays. Red flag?

38 posts in this topic

Hmm...Just had someone buy a book for more $500 from me on Ebay. It was a best offer book, but they bought it outright. It was the cheapest available on Ebay, so it's not a shock, but, doesn't happen often for that price range.

AND THEY PAID ALREADY

But...and here come the red flags...the buyer created their id TODAY and of course they have zero feedback. If it was an auction Id say I shilled myself :)

Anyhoo, I mean they paid already, so I definitely am not complaining, but what scams are potentially coming my way. Shipping wise Im definitely doing insurance and signature required. What else can I do to protect my ...ets?

Thanks...

We all started with zero stars. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

Just protect yourself with signature and maybe take some pictures of the book while wrapping it. (Or even video). And if they return it, open it while somebody witnesses it. That's where the scam could be. But, like I said. We all started with zero stars!

I've always had a minimum positive feedback notation in my listing prior to bidding. Ebay has honored this when I ran into a similar situation (with an antique camera around $300) and allowed me to cancel the transaction without issue.

Was able to cancel the instant pay. Has protected me from a number of such situations....

My experience with low-feedback/new account bidders is:

-if they bid with a new account and DON'T pay right away, then they will probably never pay.

-if they bid with a new account and DO pay right away (as was the case here), then they are probably just new to eBay and I'd just treat them like any other paying customer. Like someone else said, we all started with zero feedback at one point -- and they did pay -- what more can you really ask for.

Just protect yourself with signature confirmation, and maybe go a little above and beyond & send them a message thanking them/letting them know when the item ships.

This is the Xmas season.

Lots of people are just creating accounts for presents.

Also remember Ebay got hacked a few months ago, so I'm wondering if a lot of buyers just said f-it and just creating new accounts instead of going through the trouble of fixing their compromised account.

This is the Xmas season.

Lots of people are just creating accounts for presents.

Also remember Ebay got hacked a few months ago, so I'm wondering if a lot of buyers just said f-it and just creating new accounts instead of going through the trouble of fixing their compromised account.

double ^^

So if they took, say 3 days, to pay you.... would that have been:

a) more of a red flag

b) less of a red flag

c) the same size of red flag

?

Maybe they were just surfing ebay, never were really inclined to sign up, saw your item and had to have it?

-if they bid with a new account and DON'T pay right away, then they will probably never pay.

-if they bid with a new account and DO pay right away (as was the case here), then they are probably just new to eBay and I'd just treat them like any other paying customer. Like someone else said, we all started with zero feedback at one point -- and they did pay -- what more can you really ask for.

Just protect yourself with signature confirmation, and maybe go a little above and beyond & send them a message thanking them/letting them know when the item ships.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

^^

Thanks for all of the comments so far.

Yeah, you know, it's a balancing act between gratitude and precaution. I am thrilled to have the sale, but, due to the circumstances, want to show due diligence and not be naïve to the potential problems. We are talking Ebay :)

They do have a confirmed Paypal address. So I will document the slab before I prepare it for shipping, will package it carefully, and will include insurance, signature confirmation and the restricted delivery option (although I would think signature confirmation is a more formal version of that?). I also will send them an email, though some say that's asking for trouble. Oh well, if being nice causes a problem, there was going to be a problem any way.

I will update this thread when it's shipped.

Thanks again.

If he or she already paid, then I think you'll be alright.

I ran into an issue a few months ago where a shill or group of shills were setting up fake accounts daily, hitting BIN and not paying for every graded copy of a book on eBay. Based on the names and email addresses associated with the account name, it was pretty obvious the accounts were fake. Their goal was to drive up the GPA on that specific book.

It would be nice if eBay would force users to verify their email address before they have the ability to purchase. All of email address associated with the accounts were fakes.

I also will send them an email, though some say that's asking for trouble. Oh well, if being nice causes a problem, there was going to be a problem any way.

For some odd reason, boilerplate: "Congratulations! You have Won ....", "Please pay for your....", "Thank you for your purchase/payment", "Your item has shipped" notices from a faceless corporate entity tend to engender far less likelihood of triggering nutcases and their associated neuroses, than the same, coming from well-intentioned sellers.

Hmm...Just had someone buy a book for more $500 from me on Ebay. It was a best offer book, but they bought it outright. It was the cheapest available on Ebay, so it's not a shock, but, doesn't happen often for that price range.

AND THEY PAID ALREADY

But...and here come the red flags...the buyer created their id TODAY and of course they have zero feedback. If it was an auction Id say I shilled myself :)

Anyhoo, I mean they paid already, so I definitely am not complaining, but what scams are potentially coming my way. Shipping wise Im definitely doing insurance and signature required. What else can I do to protect my ...ets?

Thanks...

Try not to be negative.

I had a zero feedback bidder about 2 weeks ago hit my bin on a Willie Mays signed ball.

I would have been happy if he just bid (the bin has to be 30% higher than the opening bid) and the bin was over market value.

He paid right away (2 days after he made the account) and left positive feedback as soon as he got it.

Ya, I see it on here as well. Sometimes a key goes up and you see someone that just registered with an :takeit:

We all have to start somewhere.

I especially like the discount you get when buying from a low feedback seller (as long as you can stomach the risk....)

Don't bother with Signature Confirmation. Get INSURANCE (if you don't already have it) for the whole amount. Insurance over $200 automatically triggers a Signature requirement.

No worries.

Registered mail entry level has $500 coverage for about $12.

That's about $3 more than $500 regular insurance and sig conformation combined.

If you are really nervous use registered mail.

Eat $3 for peace of mind.

Don't bother with Signature Confirmation. Get INSURANCE (if you don't already have it) for the whole amount. Insurance over $200 automatically triggers a Signature requirement.

No worries.

Registered mail entry level has $500 coverage for about $12.

That's about $3 more than $500 regular insurance and sig conformation combined.

If you are really nervous use registered mail.

Eat $3 for peace of mind.

Only reason I'd avoid registered mail in this case -- the tracking for Registered packages is absolutely terrible! Sure, the insurance is cheap and the service is worry-free -- but this method is very, very slow (over a week in many cases) and the online tracking is virtually non-existent. If this guy was buying the book as a Christmas present (which is very possible), then he might not get it in time. And if he checks the tracking on the USPS site, then it will simply say "package accepted"... then nothing until eventually "package delivered" (probably a week later).

I do Registered for really expensive packages, but it always takes over a week to get delivered, and the online tracking simply does not update like it does with Priority, and even First Class packages.