• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All the recognized Marvel Silver Pedigrees?

25 posts in this topic

After I knew I had a complete list, I was going to start up a post where folks here could rank the recognized pedis. Being relatively new to this aspect of the hobby, I'm curious to know what the general opinion of these books are. There isn't much written down, yet, about a lot of these collections, so all you really have to go on is the opinions of folks who might have seen bits and pieces of each.

I think the list you put up was pretty complete. I couldn't think of anything missing.

It's really hard to rank the pedigrees because each has its pros and cons. For instance, Pacific Coast has incredible breadth and perhaps the highest average grade of all the SA pedigrees (excluding late 60s pedigrees like Boston, Oakland, etc.), with the possible exception of Curator. However, many of the major Marvel keys, particularly the pre-1964 ones, are not in such high grades. On the other hand, White Mountain has incredible breadth too and while it doesn't have the same average grade as PC or Curator, the grades of the mega-keys are unbelievable: 9.2 FF 1, 9.4 AF 15, 9.6 JIM 83, etc.

Bottom line, there is no "perfect" SA pedigree that I'm aware of, certainly nothing comparable to the Church collection.

Has the rest of the White Mountain collection surfaced yet? In the article, Nelson says that the OO was going to consign his books directly to Sotheby's in 1996.

Jerry Weist sold a chunk of later WMs in the last year or so (while he was still at Sotheby's.) All late 60s early 70s stuff.