• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My dark-horse million-dollar comic....

31 posts in this topic

Don't laugh lol. I bought this one about what, 5 years ago? Jumped all over it. Didn't haggle at all. $10K.

For those of you who remember the thread I started a week ago, lol, this is just kind of an elaboration, furtherance, expounding of my thought process that I started in that thread as to what kind of comics I like.

It is.....More Fun Comics #31, Mile High, CGC 9.6, single highest obviously....first appearance of Superman.

Superman appeared in 3 other ads, but More Fun 31 was the earliest Registry Date. May 2. And MF 31 was the comic DC used in their lawsuit to argue ownership. They even copyrighted a black & white image of Superman, and made a few figures and cartoons of him in b & w, just in case they lost the lawsuit.

Exact same picture as the cover of Action #1. Large too, 2/3 page. Only difference is it's in black-and-white, and it's not on the cover. But no question that it's the first printed image of Superman.

Thoughts??

My thought is that the comic hobby is, in some cases, behind the times. Which is fine. It's a much newer hobby that other hobbies. For instance, there is absolutely no question that the first appearance of Wolverine is in Hulk 180. Not 181. That's just an example. I don't care what the selling prices are. I've actually opened-up Hulk 180 and seen a large pic of Wolverine, clear as day.

when you say the comic hobby is "behind the times" what other hobby are you comparing it to? Specifically what other hobby values an appearance in an ad to anything close to what the actual appearance is valued?

And if you dont care what the selling prices are (as you say about the IH180/181 example) what is the point of your subject ("dark horse million dollar comic")... sounds like you are ABSOLUTELY using market prices to determine how the market feels about a book. And (in both the IH180 and the MF31) it looks like the market has spoken time and time again.

Don't laugh lol. I bought this one about what, 5 years ago? Jumped all over it. Didn't haggle at all. $10K.

For those of you who remember the thread I started a week ago, lol, this is just kind of an elaboration, furtherance, expounding of my thought process that I started in that thread as to what kind of comics I like.

It is.....More Fun Comics #31, Mile High, CGC 9.6, single highest obviously....first appearance of Superman.

Superman appeared in 3 other ads, but More Fun 31 was the earliest Registry Date. May 2. And MF 31 was the comic DC used in their lawsuit to argue ownership. They even copyrighted a black & white image of Superman, and made a few figures and cartoons of him in b & w, just in case they lost the lawsuit.

Exact same picture as the cover of Action #1. Large too, 2/3 page. Only difference is it's in black-and-white, and it's not on the cover. But no question that it's the first printed image of Superman.

Thoughts??

My thought is that the comic hobby is, in some cases, behind the times. Which is fine. It's a much newer hobby that other hobbies. For instance, there is absolutely no question that the first appearance of Wolverine is in Hulk 180. Not 181. That's just an example. I don't care what the selling prices are. I've actually opened-up Hulk 180 and seen a large pic of Wolverine, clear as day.

Apart from original art which is another thing - we are collecting comic books/stories, not comic pictures. Hence the picture in IH180 not being very desirable. If you cannot understand that then, with all due respect, I don't see any reason to think deeply about your other idea - that MFC is a potential million dollar comic....

And (in both the IH180 and the MF31) it looks like the market has spoken time and time again.

I guess that by "behind the times" you mean that people aren't aware of those earlier appearances in ads. Perhaps you're under the impression that those ads were newly discovered through research, but that isn't the case: collectors (not just dealers or experts) have always known about them, but those appearances don't count, so to speak.

I won't say $10K is a crazy price for the book because I do think that early ad for Action #1 adds more value than what the price guide suggests, but I don't think it's a $20K book or even a $15K book.

Imagine that you're a fan of a particular movie actress and that you only have two hours to live because another collector has poisoned your Kool-Aid in order to get his hands on your Flash Ashcan. Which would you rather see, this actress's very first movie, in which she appears on screen for five seconds in the background as an uncredited extra, or her second movie, filmed a month later, in which she has a credited speaking role and is on screen for 30 minutes?

More fun 31 in cgc 9.6 is great .mile high even better.

Its hard for many people and someone who owns this book with lots of sentimental value not to think its worth what he thinks after all its his book.

I will say this to have a book that old and that nice some of us might think the same.

I'd think slabbing would have a negative impact on the value increase of such a book. Kind of hard to appreciate what you can't actually see.

That could be said about a lot of slabbed books. All Star #8 is one example.

Thoughts??

I'd sure like to see the book. How about a scan? I've never seen this book before.

Thanks.

The more I think about it, the more I think the book is amazingly significant.

It's the first time the public sees a "super-hero" doing something impossible, like lifting a car over his head. He's even wearing a special costume (with a cape no less). Even the title of the book: Action Comics! Not just "detective", "adventure" or even "more fun", but a comic that promises cover-to-cover ACTION!

You have to look at it as if you were a kid in mid-1938. Seeing something so new ... something incredible that was just a month away.

Something that would launch a billion-dollar industry that would continue over the next century. Plus it's not some forgotten, generic superhero. It's the first look at THE Superman.

That's something. Ad or not.

That's for the thoughts guys. Of course many people realize all this, but I still thought is was a subject that wasn't talked about enough. I find it to be interesting.

Me personally, I'd want the first photo. Not the first story.

Woowoo, that Action #12 is very interesting. I've noticed that the cover date is May though - the same date as Detective 27. Any elaboration on this?

By the way, my 'million dollar' comment was partially meant to be provocative. I was glad to see all the responses. Food for thought. And when I said the comic hobby is 'behind the times', I mean it in a good way actually. The hobby is new and still developing. That's why I like it so much. It's much more complex than, say, baseball cards. Which is good also.

That's for the thoughts guys. Of course many people realize all this, but I still thought is was a subject that wasn't talked about enough. I find it to be interesting.

Me personally, I'd want the first photo. Not the first story.

Woowoo, that Action #12 is very interesting. I've noticed that the cover date is May though - the same date as Detective 27. Any elaboration on this?

By the way, my 'million dollar' comment was partially meant to be provocative. I was glad to see all the responses. Food for thought. And when I said the comic hobby is 'behind the times', I mean it in a good way actually. The hobby is new and still developing. That's why I like it so much. It's much more complex than, say, baseball cards. Which is good also.

Ya yours is way way way cooler :takeit: