• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Cerebus #1

27 posts in this topic

I'll have to check when I get home but if memory serves me right that was flat but ill check. What

I meant to say is that the cover is glossy.

Kinda hard to tell, but I once had a boot and a real one, at the same time. It was easier to tell. I sold a boot this year. Hopefully it is Flat. :wishluck:

According to http://www.thecomicbooks.com/old/counterf.html

Real: Has Silver staples.

Fake: Has Bronze staples.

Real: Inside cover is flat, outside cover is glossy.

Fake: Both sides of the cover are glossy.

Real: Cover background is pure red.

Fake: Cover background is red, but has a slight orange-ish tint.

Here is a big picture to better show the differences via the red covers.

cerebus1compare.jpg

Real: Cover is of variable print quality (sometimes"smudging" appears around the right horn on Cerebus' Helmet and the hilt of his sword).

Fake: Cover is always crisp.

Fake: Sometimes a black outline can be seen at the bottom of the cover.

Both: Vertical black smudge line appears on the back cover where the "Collector's Edition" banner ends (because the book was printed "Golden Age size" when the artwork was intended to be modern age sized)

More Info from MyComicShop

The original and the counterfeit versions may be identified by:

1) Original: The inside cover is not glossy like the outside cover. Counterfeit: Both sides of cover are glossy.

2) Original: The area directly to the right of the white spot on the barbarian's chest (the lighter shaded figure at the bottom of the cover) has only a red dot pattern and black shading. Counterfeit: The area to the right of the white spot has the dot pattern, but you will also see some solid red coloring around the black shading.

3) Original: On the interior splash page with the big dragon (4 pages after the centerfold), the Cerebus figure at the bottom is grey tone and does not look like anything like the black background fill. Counterfeit: The Cerebus figure is solid black, looking exactly like the background fill.

4) In the counterfeit, cover inks are slightly washed out, especially noticeable in the solid black fill areas. Cover price $1.00.

It's almost certainly a counterfeit. It has the counterfeit "look" to it, especially in the solid black area on the back cover to the left. The genuines are "splotchy" in that area. When the owner is "original owner", he had to have bought these new in late 77/early 78. The counterfeits were made sometime in the early 80's.

Very nice copy of it, though.

On a totally unrelated note...there have been a few times in comics history when putting "collector's edition!" on the cover actually panned out...this is one of those times.

:cloud9:

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll get graded soon and will find out.

Just open the cover, and look inside. If it's glossy on the inside front cover...counterfeit. If it's flat/matte...real.

I'm betting 99.99999457326% that it's glossy, but that comes from experience.

When I opened it last It was flat but I'll double check tonight.

You may be mistaken what a "flat" interior cover looks like - based on your photo, I'm 99.99% sure this is a counterfeit. Nice example, though :thumbsup: