• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN Sony-Marvel potential deal OFFICIAL THREAD

351 posts in this topic

Since so much is coming out about this rumor that I hope becomes reality, and with these very interesting details...

799px-Spider-Man1.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Details On Marvel/Sony SPIDER-MAN Deal; Drew Goddard Eyed To Direct Solo Movie

Summary of the potential deal.

---------------------

• If Spider-Man appears in Captain America: Civil War, Sony will co-finance 25% of the movie.

• Marvel then co-finances 25% of Spider-Man's next solo film which is scheduled to be released in July 2017.

• The deal allows Sony to use TWO major Marvel characters and continue the plot from Civil War in regards to how it relates to Spider-Man.

• Spider-Man would also appear in Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1 in 2018, with another Marvel produced Spider-Man movie following in July 2019.

• Sony asked for approval over the costume, -script (but only the parts specifically involving Spider-Man), and casting, with said actor required to sign a three-picture deal or more.

• They do however point out that Kevin Feige must serve as a producer, and if for some reason he leaves Marvel, they would be allowed to select his replacement.

• Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach to be given executive producer credits, and state that it would be pre-agreed that Drew Goddard both writes and directs the first movie.

• If any of the Marvel movies Spider-Man is included in misses their release date, Sony would be paid damages of $100 million, and the deal would be terminated.

• Sony also asked for Marvel's help in ensuring that Disney resources would have to be accessible for Spider-Man's solo movies in regards to their TV channels, radio networks, theme parks, and more.

---------------------

How under-the-gun is Sony at this point?

---------------------

Sony have only three years and nine months to start pre-production before the rights revert, and Captain America: Civil War would reset the clock on this period.

---------------------

And how much did ASM2 make anyway leading to the realization Sony needed help?

---------------------

We've also seen documents which indicate that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 earned only $65 million BEFORE overheads, and that they expect earnings to significantly increase after making the deal with Marvel.

---------------------

:o:o:o

Interesting additional news.

This Is How Spider-Man Fans Are Trying To Keep Andrew Garfield In The Role

---------------------

A petition has been created on Change.org to keep Andrew Garfield playing Spider-Man for future movies. The description states that the character has been handled "incorrectly by the greedy insufficiently_thoughtful_persons at Sony," and that it would be a shame to replace him after two movies, especially since the actor has expressed interest in starring in an Avengers movie in the past. At the time of this writing, the petition had over 7,600 supporters, meaning it needs almost 2,400 more signatures to reach its goal of 10,000. Although Change.org is primarily used for social movements, the website has also become a popular venue for fans to bring about change in movies and TV shows, most recently to bring back a deceased character on The Walking Dead.

---------------------

Although more a guess than any rumors or hacked details, I'd love to see this happen.

Will Joss Whedon Direct Sonys Marvel Spider-Man Movie?

---------------------

Joss Whedon is finishing up 'Age of Ultron' at the same time Marvel and Sony are talking about teaming up for Spider-Man right? Marvel announces new movies to end phase 2 and throughout phase 3. How convenient the Russo Brothers are taking over The Avengers franchise Infinity Wars after Captain America: The Winter Soldier. The Russo Brothers show they are more than capable of running The Avengers while Josh Whedon and Marvel have kept quiet about their plans for him. I believe those plans are Spider-Man. Marvel can release the movie under one of Sony's movie slots. Kevin Feige and Josh Whedon will have complete control over the casting story line and effects of the character and movies. Joss Whedon's first solo character Marvel movie who bigger and better than Spider-Man.

---------------------

:wishluck::wishluck:

Sign here to keep Sony away from Marvel movies

And Fox :sick:

Interesting additional news.

This Is How Spider-Man Fans Are Trying To Keep Andrew Garfield In The Role

---------------------

A petition has been created on Change.org to keep Andrew Garfield playing Spider-Man for future movies. The description states that the character has been handled "incorrectly by the greedy insufficiently_thoughtful_persons at Sony," and that it would be a shame to replace him after two movies, especially since the actor has expressed interest in starring in an Avengers movie in the past. At the time of this writing, the petition had over 7,600 supporters, meaning it needs almost 2,400 more signatures to reach its goal of 10,000. Although Change.org is primarily used for social movements, the website has also become a popular venue for fans to bring about change in movies and TV shows, most recently to bring back a deceased character on The Walking Dead.

---------------------

I`m all for letting Andrew Garfield go because by the time the next ASM movie comes out he will be approaching the age of 35. That`s too old to be a Spider-Man.

Also Tobey Maguire would be about approaching 45! :o

From a business perspective it`s time to look for a new younger Spider-Man.

:wishluck:

I`m all for letting Andrew Garfield go because by the time the next ASM movie comes out he will be approaching the age of 35. That`s too old to be a Spider-Man.

Also Tobey Maguire would be about approaching 45! :o

From a business perspective it`s time to look for a new younger Spider-Man.

You are most probably right.

I liked Andrew Garfield in ASM. McGuire was great in the first movie he did, but the rest of that franchise sucked . I'm always hopeful that Marvel will be able to reclaim full rights from Sony instead of creating a co-op deal.

Joss Whedon on Spider-Man?!?! :applause: I'm sure DC is kicking itself over scraping Whedon's Wonder Woman project.

I liked Andrew Garfield in ASM. McGuire was great in the first movie he did, but the rest of that franchise sucked . I'm always hopeful that Marvel will be able to reclaim full rights from Sony instead of creating a co-op deal.

Joss Whedon on Spider-Man?!?! :applause: I'm sure DC is kicking itself over scraping Whedon's Wonder Woman project.

I thought the second one was stronger than the first. I liked Molina's Doc Ock as a villain more than the DaFoe Green Goblin

I thought the second one was stronger than the first. I liked Molina's Doc Ock as a villain more than the DaFoe Green Goblin

I watched Spider-Man 2 a few weeks back. When the Doc Ock scene comes up, it was still exciting to this day. If only Sony would allow Marvel to bring this franchise to that level of greatness again.

I watched Spider-Man 2 a few weeks back. When the Doc Ock scene comes up, it was still exciting to this day. If only Sony would allow Marvel to bring this franchise to that level of greatness again.

Spider-Man 2 is still one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. It's certainly disheartening to see how far the franchise has fallen a decade later.

If they can agree to a deal that removes Sony from the creative decision-making process altogether, then I'm all for it. Just let them make some money while Marvel rights the ship, and everyone wins. Otherwise, I'd prefer it if Marvel kept doing what they are doing, without the taint of Sony coming anywhere near their movie universe.

First thing the studio folk needs to do is forget about merchandising while writing this film (that will never happen, I know :( ) and put a better creative "spin" on this character as it will be the umpteenth reboot (live action/animated) within 12 years. Mainstream audiences are gonna get bored pretty soon, if they get another origin story. They really need to get a Nolan-type director and humanize the story, grounding it better in reality this time, than say ASM 2 (2014).

Spider-Man 2 is still one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. It's certainly disheartening to see how far the franchise has fallen a decade later.

If they can agree to a deal that removes Sony from the creative decision-making process altogether, then I'm all for it. Just let them make some money while Marvel rights the ship, and everyone wins. Otherwise, I'd prefer it if Marvel kept doing what they are doing, without the taint of Sony coming anywhere near their movie universe.

From the details leaked, Marvel is in the driver seat, and setting the direction if this is to move forward.

Worst-case, Sony attempts to save face from all this leaked information, and it demands outlandish terms at Marvel. But since the meeting is rumored to be next month, that isn't much maneuver time for Sony.

ASM 2 (2004) was my personal favorite of the entire franchise. The subtle acting touches of Doc Ock's sly beats or the dispair of MJ watching swing off in the sunset really elevated it from some of the best recent funnybook movies. I enjoyed Spider-Man and ASM, and felt the others were bright shiny toys that had moments here and there, but souless summer popcorn movies selling swampland nonetheless (I actually walked out of Spider-Man 3*, saw ASM 2 on disc).

*I sat through every butt numbing flick in the theater from Meet Joe Black to The Postman. When I walk out of one of my favorite character's movies when I was growing up, it must have a level of bad when rating it.

I still haven't ever watched Spidey 3 or either of the ASM's in their entirety. I've seen a decent bit of the first ASM, but it didn't really do anything for me. I did like Gwen, but that was about it.

I thought the first two Raimi movies were great, with 2 the best of the bunch. The first half of Spidey 1 was near perfect.

First thing the studio folk needs to do is forget about merchandising while writing this film (that will never happen, I know :( ) and put a better creative "spin" on this character as it will be the umpteenth reboot (live action/animated) within 12 years. Mainstream audiences are gonna get bored pretty soon, if they get another origin story. They really need to get a Nolan-type director and humanize the story, grounding it better in reality this time, than say ASM 2 (2014).

Since Marvel has control of Spidey merchandising, I am assuming we can count on it would focus first on a solid -script and acting choices. Add to this a director that can pull this all together. Imagine the results from a film with all that focus.

Spider-Man 1: $821.7 MM worldwide back in 2002.

Spider-Man 2: $783.8 MM worldwide back in 2004.

Spider-Man 3: $890.9 MM worldwide back in 2007.

This could be a massive success, if done right.

You are kidding right?

Not everything Joss touches turns to gold.

Serenity (although most triumphant) turned out to be a dud for Universal. Dollhouse never found an audience after it's first season.

Add on Warner/DC's non Batman/Superman track record at the box-office, you can understand them not wanting another Catwoman dud that costs $100 million.

You are kidding right?

Not everything Joss touches turns to gold.

Serenity (although most triumphant) turned out to be a dud for Universal. Dollhouse never found an audience after it's first season.

Add on Warner/DC's non Batman/Superman track record at the box-office, you can understand them not wanting another Catwoman dud that costs $100 million.

If The Avengers movie is any indication of how Whedon would handle Spider-Man, 'nuff said! So far it looks to me like Whedon has the golden touch in the Marvel Universe.

Serenity was a bust for me and I was never a fan of Dollhouse. Had Whedon been given the support he had doing Avengers at the time he did Firefly and the rest, who knows how it would have turned out. FOX showed episodes of Firefly out of order and Universal did next to no advertising or PR for Serenity.